Media Director Announcement

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by F5 Penguin, Dec 30, 2013.

1. F5 Penguin

F5 Penguin #NoFilter

Ratings:
    +1,222 / 4 / -22
    (This is long and slightly wordy but full of information. You have been warned.)

@Tris10, League Officers and community of LeagueGaming,

As we are now less than one week to the beginning of bidding in what could arguably be the most anticipated season of virtual hockey to ever take place on the Internet, I’d like to take a moment today to formally introduce myself and the role which I’ve graciously accepted, as Media Director for LeagueGaming. I’d also like to touch upon the vision that Tris and I both share about the site and leagues moving forward, and what my plans are for the upcoming season.

On a personal level, for those who don’t know me, my name is Nick and I’ve been around league hockey for only a few short seasons, however my love for the NHL franchise and hockey as a whole date back to NHL 94 and that shiny, 8-bit blue ice. My blood runs true to where I grew up, a New Jersey Devil fan, but as I’ve now lived in Tampa for over ten years, both time and being a season ticket member has given me a second love in the Lightning. In my very younger years I played both ice and roller hockey, and after my brother LtBranigan18 introduced me to OTP in NHL09, I’ve been hooked on the allure of 6v6 sim play since its inception. Professionally, I own two small businesses. One being a software development firm whose expertise is in project design, deployment and delivery, working with clients on a one-to-one basis. The second is a media and broadcast company, in which I host a six-year-running weekly episodic livecast on Internet, gadget, gaming and media news. Since 2007, I’ve developed key contacts in both technology and gaming companies that end up with either my team or myself covering events such as E3, CES and GDC each year.

Having only signed up to LeagueGaming mere weeks before the demise of the league that once was, I’ve not had much time to get acquainted to the masterful systems in place, nor get to know much of the community as a whole, but I hope that in time that will all change for the better. Still, I graciously and humbly accept the position as Media Director, and working closely with Tris, site staff and league staff. The role of Media Director is in fact a great responsibility and is a perfect opportunity to not only do more of what I love do to for a living, but to showcase the potential that this community’s content creators have, accompanied with a pointed and fluid direction and execution. All that being said, what follows is a vision I have for media on this site, first starting with the LGHL for Season 17 - this obviously includes the LGCHL in all mentions of LGHL here forth - , then progressing and branching out. There will be forward-looking statements sporadically included in this gameplan and in future messages, which are only meant to serve as possibilities that could be adopted, but can always be adapted or scrapped. Please bear in mind that I’m not trying to re-invent the wheel here, and that we have an amazing group of talented content creators already here, and instead I’m trying to harness all of it, attain new members and simply drive it forward.

I feel that there are four key points that will drive a successful, engaging media campaign for the league, that will not only create immersive content for the entire community but also exist as a platform for active, constructive discussions and intense rivalries to be formed.

1. Consistency – The number one problem is a volunteer-heavy endeavor is keeping the producers of the content motivated through the season. Said motivation can be detracted through community trolling, poor leadership, lack of direction and other factors. My goal is to create an environment that our league’s content creators feel comfortable releasing material to the masses on a scheduled basis.
    2. Quality – Another key to ensuring that we’re putting out stuff that the league wants to watch, listen to or read is making sure that the material is watchable, audible or can easily be read. This is why there will be several checks and balances put into place, on an editing and production standpoint, to make sure the little things like grammar mistakes, punctuation, message focusing and the like are all in order. We’re not trying to bring down all the content to look and sound the same, but instead are creating a standard in which all of the content can grow into their own. That way, while the foundation might the same, it will be strong enough for any amount of flare or uniqueness to shine.
    3. Active Listening – Sometimes things need to be written or talked about because it’s important to the league or the writer feels passionate about it. However, more often than not it’s important to put out stuff that everyone wants to take a look at. That’s why the media team must keep a keen e-ear to the league to make sure we’re touching upon the hot topics at the right time.
    4. Promotion – Nobody likes to make stuff and have it get pushed to the bottom of the fifth page in a day, leaving their hard work to rot away in the series of tubes forever. On the other side of that, we want to make sure content is easy to find and get to whether you visit the forums once a day or once a week. Using some of the great tools created by Tris, content will be promoted heavily throughout the league, we should be able to alleviate some of those frustrations.

Now that my gameplan has been somewhat laid out, what comes next? Well, there’s a lot of work ahead of me in preparation for the season but I think we’re putting the right team together to meet the deadlines and expectation of the league. First, expect a handful of additions or tweaks to the site that will change the way friends and foes alike have thought about or consumed media. Second, a “schedule” of sorts will be released to the community, letting all of you know what to expect, from who and when. This covers all things such as written articles, magazine articles, audio and video shows (both live and pre-recorded) and even live commentaries of games. Lastly, we need your participation as the community. What do you want to hear? What aspects of the league need to be covered? What don’t you like? Be vocal but be constructive. The better the feedback we get from you, the better efforts and content you’ll get from us. We’re all here to work together and really make this season “pop” and standout from anything else before it, so let’s get to it.

So what’s left before we get all of this started? A lot of testing on my end, but here’s what I need from you:

To the existing media and content creators within the LeagueGaming community: If you are still interested in producing content for Season 17 of the LGHL, your participation is not only encouraged but needed. I want your content, your ideas and YOU. If you haven’t reached out to myself or TINO45REAPER yet, please do so. Again, I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel here and what you guys have done already is incredible and your work is respected. It’s what inspired me to take this position. Tino has been around the league for quite a bit now and will be my right-hand-man so to speak, for all existing LG content creators. Get a hold of him, let him know you’re interested and let’s chat about your plans and how everything can fit in for S17 and beyond!

To anyone who wants to participate in putting out media for Season 17
    : Reach out to me! I’m fairly accessible and my GT is my Twitter handle and my Skype name. I’m accessible all the time. If you don’t reach me through a party chat midday, it’s because my son is on the Xbox instead of me. It’s a lot of work and is sometimes thankless but if you’re seriously interested, I’d love to chat! Here’s what we’re looking for:

• Writers who can assist in both the LGHL Magazine and weekly article(s). Guys who love making Excel spreadsheets because awesomeness. Write to me so you can write for us.
    • Audio experts – On-air talent to engineers, Adobe Audition editors to guys who want to talk stats. I want to talk to you.
    • Video champions – Can you edit? Do you know how to run a Tricaster or Xsplit? Want to run a show or want to help out editing some footage? Hit me up for a chat.
    • Graphics gurus – Can you make awesome graphics? Have an idea for a logo or image and want to show it off? Message me today.
    • Social media and SEO masters – We need a person who’s dedicated to run our social media outlets and someone who knows a little about optimizing us for search engines through our visible material. We want you.

Again, I want to thank Tris for giving me this opportunity and I’m excited to be working with everyone here in the community. I know this was a bit wordy, and I apologize for that after the fact. There’s a fun and exciting road ahead for LeagueGaming, and I’m glad that I’m a part of it, along with all of you.

TL;DR – I’m the guy in charge of media and stuff is about to get real. We’ll do stuff with things and make things with stuff. The end.

Talk to you all soon,

Nick aka F5 Penguin

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    f5penguin
  2. LuNDiiN

LuNDiiN Pylon of all Pylons!

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -2
    Hey LuNDiiN here,
    im studying sports broadcast and have done some in game commentary in other places get back to me if you are looking for this down the road

No Streaming Account
  3. GhostxBearx

GhostxBearx Well-Known Member

Discord:
    ghostbear1805#0
    Ratings:
    +592 / 137 / -217
    Hey guys! My name is Garrett Brown and I'm also from NJ! GO flyers though! I'm a student at Monmouth University and majoring in Digital Media and Marketing Analysis with a minor in graphic design. I really would like to help this league media wise because it would really help add to my portfolio for grad school. I would like to work for a Broadyway show design Computer 3D sets and working sound lights and all that jazz! Been snipin Bar Down since 94'

Thanks
    Brown

GhostBearTTV
  4. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    Really glad and excited to have [MENTION=7406]F5 Penguin[/MENTION] aboard!

One area i've always wanted to do better and do more was media! If you break down the amount of time people in this league consume either chatting on the site, reading posts/forums vs actually on-ice in game time, its got to be a huge offset that more time is spent not actually playing the game. This is where media steps in to fill that time.

I loved the radio shows, interviews articles that I've seen, plus with all the features, tools, mobile app stuff we can provide I think we can really reinvent the media department for online leagues!

Good times are ahead gentlemen!

5. TINO45CAL

TINO45CAL Warning Group

Discord:
    jfmartineau#0
    Ratings:
    +4,310 / 63 / -145
    Anyone interested in participating in the media team can leave me a message on
    xbox live : TINO45REAPER
    or send me a PM here.
    I will get back to anyone interested within 24 hours guaranteed.

Please contact me if you are truly serious about helping out this awesome community.

I would also like to congratulate mister F5 Penguin on taking the Media Director spot and pushing to make our league a more interactive experience and for helping this site grow.

To the most epic season 6v6 hockey will experience.

I wish you and your families a very good new year.

Tino.

tino45
  6. DukeFnWayne 81

DukeFnWayne 81 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    I gotta get on so we talk about what I had for an idea.

No Streaming Account
  7. JJKAYLER36

JJKAYLER36 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    hey guys, i have been doing videos since joining the VHL season 6. I did help gather videos for StofUnited to help produce 4 episodes of Topshelf in season 7. This gave instant feedback and pumped up my former teammates and show off some of editing video skills. However since then i been producing my own gameplay footage and a highlight reel after every season. As you said before, i do notice that videos i make disappear or lose interest in a week or so.

I do also enjoy podcasts that that the VHL had made previously including f5 penguin's CHL Slapshot in S12. This site can produce something like that and i'll be happy to help.

I'll message the right people in time for a video editing position; however boys, happy new year, got some serious beer drinking to do. #PartyOn14.

No Streaming Account
  8. drew13btv

drew13btv Well-Known Drew

Ratings:
    +105 / 1 / -2
    Done for helping with video streaming/any of the backend hardware/software issues (from graphedit and the like to just basic OBS/Xsplit usage)

drew13btv
  9. Nuge

Nuge SmithZz

Discord:
    nuge#0
    Ratings:
    +6,623 / 177 / -193
    I'll be writing for the magazine and streaming/recording a significant amount of games. Expect some NJD highlight reels as well as full games.

10. Foote

Foote Well-Known Member

Discord:
    charlesamb#0
    Ratings:
    +780 / 20 / -111
    Lets get a move on.

footenhl
  11. CptMatt Sparrow

CptMatt Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +126 / 2 / -4
    I will be streaming all games, maybe even with a lil color commentary on them, if you need help add me on XBL!

No Streaming Account
  12. Williams x12x

Williams x12x #WillyAfterDark

Discord:
    Williams x12x#8346
    Ratings:
    +730 / 15 / -22
    Id be down for helping after i get my cpu and software squared away... I am in college now for Interactive Media and Graphic Design. Ill keep you posted.

Williamsx12x
  13. LtBran90

LtBran90 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    ltbran90#0
    Ratings:
    +54 / 1 / -1
    Thanks for the shout-out. You all are extremely lucky to have Nick controlling the media side of things. He is very entertaining on the air, but also committed to these projects behind the scenes as well.

@Brown x23x You go to school around the same area we visit our family each year. Awesome!
    @Tris10 You seem like somebody who lets the directors of each level of the organization do what needs to be done to succeed. Having said that, this is going to be a great experience in the media. Now I'm just wondering what my brother has up his sleeve. I actually joined the league just to find out!

Can't wait for this season. If you need any on-air callers, I'll be sure to phone in from time to time.

ltbran418
  14. NickyLeaks

NickyLeaks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 24 / -55
    Hi nick

No Streaming Account
  15. EricE30

EricE30 -------

Ratings:
    +1,550 / 24 / -63
    Just get on board, and stop bein an F'n wanka.

No Streaming Account
  16. Nemzer 89

Nemzer 89 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +185 / 0 / -0
    Who wouldn't be definitely a good choice. Great guy with motivation to work.

No Streaming Account
  17. CrazyRonIsHere

CrazyRonIsHere Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -1
    As I have discussed with you before F5, this is my real life business. I cannot commit to actually doing it because of time constraints (actual business, potential PA presidential run, pretending to have a life, etc.) but I'd happily help guide you (or whoever you put in charge of it) in the right direction.

No Streaming Account
  18. keso_paghuni

keso_paghuni Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +720 / 1 / -5
    Will be streaming/recording all Stars games I'm apart of so there's that

Keso_Paghuni