My Thoughts on Team Formation for This Particular League

Discussion in 'LG World Cup' started by DanielEPS, Dec 28, 2017.

1. DanielEPS

DanielEPS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 14 / -5
    For those on the site who know me you’ll agree I don’t post very much on this site. In fact it takes something quite big for me to do so. This is no exception.

When I heard about the World Cup I was extremely excited about the whole premise behind it. I’d get to meet some new people, potentially play on a different stage, and ultimately have fun. Seeing as I’m from Ontario I naturally signed up in the Ontario forum and for the league as well.

I noticed my response was like by Carmstrong and this was promising. As was the statement saying everyone would essentially get a fair chance. However, as the days went on I saw no tryouts except for a couple which I saw but was not assigned to play.

I relaxed over the holidays, like I hope most of you did. Fast forward to today and I see other teams’ rosters have been posted but nothing hy Ontario. I found a post for Team North America with a discord so I joined that. I was informed not only was Ontario decided but North Americs as well. No additional tryouts permitted.

This goes completely against the essence of this entire tournament. Personally I think a lot of favourtism was conducted here. Ultimately Im bot upset that I wasn’t assigned to a team. But I feel making a point that tryouts were not conducted fairly needs to be elucidated. Much appreciated for considering my thoughts on the matter. As always, thoughts and opinions welcomed.

• Get Good Get Good x 9
    No Streaming Account
  2. Vish_b

Vish_b Active Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 19 / -12
    Team North America is far from chosen, you joined our discord and were addressed accordingly. We have been nothing but fair to everyone who had joined our server over the past week and us as a management group have put a lot of time into selecting our group. We have 2 days remaining to announce our roster and we've cut our discord down from 120+ players to 30 players ALL through tryout games. We have held close to 50 tryout games in the past week, so i apologize you did not get looked at by Team NA as we simply do not have time to change our game plan because your region decided how to make their team. Good Luck!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    vish_b
  3. DanielEPS

DanielEPS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 14 / -5
    I was informed I would not get a chance to tryout. Far from addressed accordingly. Best of luck.

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    No Streaming Account
  4. Vish_b

Vish_b Active Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 19 / -12
    2 days before our roster needs to be released and our discord was trimmed from 100+ players to 30 and you want to get a tryout? I don’t see how a losing record and 46pts in the regular season screams “give me a tryout.” Better luck next year, look throughout the threads if you’re that excited for this event. Don’t join our server expecting to be given a shot when other players have been there since the beginning.

vish_b
  5. oSUPAHSTARo

oSUPAHSTARo Washed

Ratings:
    +99 / 2 / -6
    I'll never understand posts like these.

The tournaments that are often made on LG like Canam, ESHL, or this one are not about trying to give 100+ players an opportunity to make a team. These are the higher level tournaments. If you want an equal playing field, pursue the CHL tournaments, which are purely created for scouting purposes.

Look at it like how real life works. Come World Junior Championship time, you don't have 1000 kids showing up to a tryout to be noticed by coaches. They already know the top 50 players that could play for the team before tryouts even start, and those are the ones they take a look at. Those 50 players are known for what they do outside of the tournament, through College, Major Juniors, or play in Europe. LG works in the exact same manner. You need to establish yourself outside of the tournaments to have the best chance at playing. You can't expect to get a 100% fair shot to make a team.

From the announcement post:
    "How will rosters be made?
    We will select the owners for the 8 clubs. Those owners can then name the 16 other players that they believe will create the most competitive team."

Nowhere does it say anything about everyone getting an equal chance.

It is your responsibility, and your responsibility alone to get your name out there before tournaments like these pop up, so that you do get on the short list of players that could potentially make the team.

If you don't feel like you should have to put in the time to do this sort of thing, then tough luck. There are plenty of other guys that are willing to put in the time. That's just how things work, because 9 times out of 10 the guy with no reputation is terrible. Sucks if your the 1/10, but if you are the 1/10, it'll come in time.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 5
    No Streaming Account
  6. jcoch33

jcoch33 New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -4
    I got plenty of of tryout time from team NA and I appreciated it. Did I expect to make the team? NO! But I was thankful to have the opportunity to play with top level players. The speed of the game, the talent of the players, and the professionalism of the owners was beyond what I expected. The other division I was cut from did not live up to that expectation. Kudos to Team North America. Hit me up anytime you need a player. Only way to get better right?!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    cochhockey33
  7. Agesquod

Agesquod Prom night drop-in hero

Ratings:
    +139 / 4 / -19
    yeah, team NA handle it pretty well considering the huge pool of player that had to go through.

Something that could have worked, would have been restrict the tournament to players out of the playoffs like real life.

• Like Like x 1
    slivers311