Next Team League?

Discussion in 'TFC Ontario Soccer - Previous Gen' started by jmarks2001, Mar 15, 2004.

1. jmarks2001

jmarks2001 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know we haven't finished Season 1 yet, but are there any solid plans for the next team league?

- Same teams or re-draft?
    - Adding more teams?
    - When will it start?

No Streaming Account
  2. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's all being discussed. First the captains will probably be getting a headcount from their teams on who's returning.

-Most likely, same teams, draft new guys wanting to come in.

-stick with 4 teams

-should start right after Season 1 ends, maybe a one week break to figure out the rosters and any needed changes/suggestions from the members though.

No Streaming Account
  3. Pinstripe Moose

Pinstripe Moose Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are we sticking with bestball? Or are we gonna try alt shot?

No Streaming Account
  4. TMG620

TMG620 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    Yes! :p

No really, we are looking at a few different options to make season 2 a little different and fun!

No Streaming Account
  5. jmarks2001

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought there would be enough interest to get a couple more teams involved? I'd be willing to take an extra week or two break in an effort to get more people signed up and create more teams (I guess we'd have to create two teams unless we instituted a bye week).

But I do see the difficulty in something like this. Since most of the better players are already playing, we would have to re-draft to make it fair. Or we could have some sort of "expansion draft" where unprotected players could be drafted to a new team.

No Streaming Account
  6. All MiT Kev

All MiT Kev Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    personally if teams were to get redrafted i probably wouldn't play next season. i have gotten used to how my team does things and would prefer not to have to start over.

No Streaming Account
  7. First Canadian

First Canadian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would personally think to expand to 6 teams but make the roster on each team down to 10 people instead of the 15 per team that it is now. what do you guys think?

No Streaming Account
  8. jmarks2001

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If alot more people are interested in playing, then I think it warrants the creation of more teams, but I don't think reducing our current rosters just to make the teams is worth the trouble.

No Streaming Account
  9. First Canadian

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it's the same amount of people , 60 , but now the people that don't play on the 4 teams can have a better chance of playing and people that want to get in , like myself, have a better chance of playing. and it spreads the wealth of talent a little bit more

No Streaming Account
  10. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The signups for new people have been around all season, and we only have a small handful right now that want in (everyone else that knows about this league is already playing in it, pretty much).

As for alt. shot, we're tossing around the idea of using 3 of the 9 weeks as alt. shot weeks, with the other 6 being best ball.

No Streaming Account
  11. jmarks2001

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What about running a little campaign on xbox.com forums to gauge interest? That is if existing members want to expand...I feel a poll coming on.

No Streaming Account
  12. First Canadian

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think we have enough ppl on the waiting list to expand to just a 5th team and they have more weeks but one team each week will sit out.

No Streaming Account
  13. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, feel free to tell any advanced players you guys hook up with in other tournaments or on the XBox.com forums about the league.

I really think we already have most of the top players here already though, but there's a handful of others that would make nice additions for sure. Probably not enough to expand to 6 teams or add more rooms, but enough to fill in the D Cups and Tee'd Off for players that aren't wanting to return (I don't think C Biskits or Bushwood will have any turnover).

No Streaming Account
  14. OV DEESNUTZ

OV DEESNUTZ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm with Kev on this one....I really like my team and the way the captains go about their business.

I still have much respect for the other players in the league, and sure I'd love to be on the same team as a few of them, but I actually like competing AGAINST those same people.

No Streaming Account
  15. jujimum

jujimum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First Canadian, with the current 15-16 people on a team, it is still a pretty big struggle right now to get all 6 rooms filled each week. Many people have commitments outside of the gaming world and there needs to be a few alternates on stand-by to fill in when needed. Most of the guys on my team either work long hours, have kids, and/or travel for their jobs. Therefore, sometimes our alternates aren't even available at times and we just have to hope someone doesn't work late or any other situation a person faces on almost a daily basis. Some of our guys can only play on the late night games because they have to get their kids/babies to sleep before they can play. Therefore, shortening the team rosters is a highly unlikely scenario. We just need a little more interest right now. I think if there are 5-6 rooms again next season, that the 15-16 players per team is a must have.

No Streaming Account
  16. jmarks2001

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree juj. Even with 15 players, we had 2 cancellations with no subs available and lost both matches because of it.

Still won the week overall. In your face Bushwood!

No Streaming Account
  17. jperry31

jperry31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The more people that get involved, the more no shows and the more people that will just quit showing up all in all. Then people get mad about that and quit themselves...

No Streaming Account
  18. PAPERNUT

PAPERNUT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am with Kev and OV on this one. I will be out to if we redraft. I enjoy everything we have built with Bushwood and have worked so hard this season and for what, to start over next season? Not me, and I would assume there are a few other members that will feel the same way. This has turned out to be one of the most competitive leagues we have at LG. I mean it is all coming down to the final week to crown a champ. It can't get any better than this!

No Streaming Account
  19. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Like I said, most likely Bushwood and C Biskits are going to want to stick together and attempt a repeat. For Teed Off and D Cups, there will be lots of free agents to load your teams up if people do not wish to return for next season.

If we don't have even teams, then the teams with more returning might have to sacrifice one or two guys that would volunteer to switch teams, but I think it might be best for everyone to keep the teams intact for the most part.

I'm kinda torn on the issue though. Alot of the people here raced together in a MotoGP, MotoGP2 league over at planetmpg.com (dating way back to the beta period). The whole idea for the "rooms" and teams and scoreboard was born from that league actually. We had one season where the teams remained pretty much intact, and other seasons where we did complete redrafts (which ended up being the norm). The season we did not do a redraft was after my team went undefeated all season (Maroon team) and we tried for the repeat in Season 3. Season 4 though, we all got split up, but it was cool. You had some of the old teammates and some new guys too, and in general it was actually better for the league to redistribute everyone.

This is why we need this type of discussion though, to see how the community feels on the topic. We don't want to lose people over stuff like this, so it needs to be talked about.

No Streaming Account
  20. jmarks2001

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Again...I'm feeling a poll coming on. Something to the effect of "how do you feel about a re-draft and will it affect your decision to participate?"

As far as team D-Cups, so far we've had about 7 players indicate that they want to participate next season, and only 1 that doesn't. I think there are about 6 or so free-agents waiting to be drafted and I'm sure we could get another 10-12 with a word-of-mouth membership drive.

The question is, if we get enough players to fill empty spots on existing teams and have enough for a new team, how do we level the playing field for the new team considering most of the best players are already on one of the 4 existing teams. I know that those are 2 pretty big "ifs", but if it happened, I could see it working like this:

It could be like an expansion draft, two of the free agents would become captains of "Team E". They would then pick 9 players from the Free Agent Pool, giving them a total of 11. Then they could pick 1 player from each of the exisiting teams to give them 15. However, they could not pick the captain or co-captain of an existing team. Also, the captains can choose to protect 2 other players from being drafted. Once they have a full team, they may want to re-org and let one of the "veterans" be captain or co-captain since they will have a better idea of how things work.
    The remaining players in the free-agent pool would then be drafted by the 4 existing teams to fill the holes left by the expansion draft.

No Streaming Account