NHL 17 Beta Review!

Discussion in 'EA NHL Series' started by LG-McDonald, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Berserrkr

Berserrkr Zerk

Discord:
    berserrkr#0
    Ratings:
    +137 / 9 / -14
    I thought about what I wanted from a fixed view camera:
    3 toggle modes (fixed on goalie, one to follow the play and one fixed on behind the net area)
    It would be cool to toggle to a fixed behind the net view.

I'll give fixed view another try if you are saying it's better this year then 16, cause it's the most fun way to play goalie

berserrkr
  2. Scheckel29

Scheckel29 IslesGT

Discord:
    scheckel29#0
    Ratings:
    +910 / 7 / -11
    Right now, I am really, really enjoying goalie...besides the Rammer goals and your own teammates poke checking the puck past you (cough @WITNESS 513 cough). But, its hockey and bounces don't always go your way.

@QuietFawn229890 and other goalies, You can hug post in butterfly, it is a just a moving animation. If the puck is below the goal line, you will see it more clearly and you will see how your goalie stays square to the puck the further (from the goalie's perspective) up the ice the puck goes and it no longer looks like you are hugging the post but you are. Well done EA.

Also, I really love when you hit the RS for the desperation move and the puck is at a tight angle, the goalie moves into the butterfly hug the post with a smooth transition. Again, really well done EA.

There still seems to be a "bubble" when you are cutting down the angle and in front of the post and the team makes a pass across the ice, you can't really push yourself back to the post...it seems like you get stuck on the near post. I feel like that has been in the game forever and maybe it is supposed to be so you can cut the shot down and then get back to cover the wrap.

I wish we could map the controls the way we would like them and not just two presets. I also wish we can control the goalie sweeps and not just have them on or off. RB is not used in either controls. Have them map the user controlled sweep to that button please! I prefer to have us control the sweeps than the custom controls but both would be AMAZING!

Overall the goalie is a B+. The mapping and having me auto sweep the puck into my own net doesn't allow me to give goalie an "A" this year as of right now.

Edit: I forgot, the skaters can pick off the clear from the goalie way too easily this year. They can be 5 ft away and grab the puck so easily. Turn that down too, please. Goalies really can't make breakout passes and it is very high Risk to little reward for trying to clear the puck.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Scheckel29
  3. Greb

Greb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +770 / 62 / -55
    Really they should just make goalie the same as it was in 10.

• Like Like x 2
    NHLGrebby14
  4. Berserrkr

Berserrkr Zerk

Discord:
    berserrkr#0
    Ratings:
    +137 / 9 / -14
    Thank you for fixing the two way forward he's awesome in 17. Anyone else notice the offensive defensemen got nerfed?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    berserrkr
  5. Evilgenius_i35i

Evilgenius_i35i Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 1 / -3
    The Goalie is often " locked up" after making a save or save attempt on a wide shot. I could see a scramble to get up but not frozen for 2-3 seconds taking a breather to gather himself before trying to position for a rebound shot.

the goalie stances are pretty cool, the 41 different stances ... same animations for all and none are better than the other so it seems. Nor do they save

when will skaters be able to pass or shoot when being " nudged " I don't see why this isn't fixed yet. make it inaccurate but show the attempt was there. always been an issue. if its a tie up fine but I know in real life it would just throw off accuracy.

for the love of god I thought when they took out " grind to legend 3 " WITH PRESET BUILDS we'd start seeing Line changes like those of team up play with real teams. its strategy, its hockey and should be in the game for EASHL. why not pick your 1st line build 2nd line build and 3rd line build? who wants to play with a dead ass tired Power forward halfway through the period. hockey IQ should play into effect in a sim. Dumps to line change and Icing would be more Profit n Loss ... speeds / agility of " fresher legs on ice " should play an effect

But overall a much better game than 15 & 16

lets not screw this up EA

• Like Like x 2
    Evilgenius_i35i
  6. a1xFREAKx13

a1xFREAKx13 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    a1xFREAKx13#5407
    Ratings:
    +1,168 / 18 / -72
    You realize with line changes you would be at the bench every 30 seconds to switch and it's 4 lines

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    In World of CHEL
    No Streaming Account
  7. Evilgenius_i35i

Ratings:
    +91 / 1 / -3
    I understand the 4th line ... just figured the goons would get in the way ... the elite lgers would hustle every second of the period either and would figure out the happy medium I'm sure. lots of complaints about the auto poke / pass assists etc. seems everyone wants sim until they have to think a little bit

Evilgenius_i35i
  8. Evilgenius_i35i

Ratings:
    +91 / 1 / -3
    Wouldn't Hustle **

Evilgenius_i35i
  9. Cross_X_Check

Cross_X_Check Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 123 / -201
    Tbh I wouldn't say specifically 10. But it's ridiculous on how slow goalies have been in the past 3 games 15, 16, 17. Another thing I'm tired of. A scramble in front of the net and a guy picks up the puck within 1 inch of being in front of me and roofs it. First off if your that close to the goalie I highly doubt you are going to get the elevation that close. Tips and goalie interference are worse then they have ever been. I've been hit outside of my net several times to where people actually try to do it intentionally now because 90% of the time it's a goal. The tips are insane too. In real life tips don't hit the net 100% of the time. Fuck if your gonna leave me getting smashed by someone at least make it initiate a fight so I can beat the shit out of someone instead of them scoring while I'm picking up my mouth guard in the nose bleed section.

cross_x_check
  10. DrugMonkeyRX

DrugMonkeyRX Grind Line

Ratings:
    +244 / 6 / -10
    Seriously WTF is EA thinking? It's worse than NHL 16. Remove this ASAP please

• Winner Winner x 1
    Drugmonkeyrx
  11. PghFANATIC

PghFANATIC Well-Known Member

Discord:
    pghfanatic#0
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    With the current way the Beta is forming games - how will we be able to get two full teams together.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  12. frosty l7l

frosty l7l looking for a team

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 6 / -45
    I figured I would include that this is from the PSN Game Play. It is two different games on each console. You cannot compare the two, as they each play differently (I play on both).

Issue:
    • Game freeze. This happened last night more than anything. We never really had a complete freeze up to this point, but have had players not pull through to games before. Pretty much what happens is after both teams select class and ready, the game loads to play. For some reason, one or two people will get stuck on the screen showing the controller, while everyone else freezes on the goalie during the intro until the guy with the error dashboards.
    Fix:
    • If everyone selects their player class, and lets the timer count down to zero without readying up the team (both teams have to do this), the game will advance through the load screen. Since using this method, we have not had issues getting our guys into the game. Here is the kicker though... If the other team ready's up, has a person that doesn't select a position, or nobody selects a position at all... a guy on that team freezes while the rest load in game. The only way it works is have both teams select a class, and then let the game completely count down. Only one game froze out of 7 when this happened last night (we played quite a few guys here, and coordinated this in the chat to verify).

Only other theory was that this never happened until people started to add logos, custom jerseys, and arenas. It may have something to do with the loading of these things coming into the game. Just a thought.

https://secure.twitch.tv/frostx7/v/80644292 << Game frozen on goalie
    https://secure.twitch.tv/frostx7/v/80649638 << Our guy doesn't make it in game
    https://secure.twitch.tv/frostx7/v/80649788 << other team freezes
    https://secure.twitch.tv/frostx7/v/80649933 << I get controller freeze glitch
    https://secure.twitch.tv/frostx7/v/80653617 << Loads properly with above mentioned fix

Game Play:
    • Interference calls on tie ups. This may be something that is more of a personal opinion, but there is not a lot of lee way when it comes to tie ups before going to the box. There have been multiple instances where I go to board play a guy on a puck race, and as my guy goes into animation to hold him, he one touches the puck to another team mate. My guy is already in animation to board play him, but because he one touched it away at the same time, I get called for a penalty. The animation doesn't happen fast enough for you to get the desired result when you are wanting it to happen. There is no way to stop the animation from happening either once you start it either.
    • Passing seems to be just a hair too slow off the stick at times. The puck tends to creep in some instances when passing laterally which doesn't make sense. D to D passing is where I see this happen most (especially your own end) where they cannot pass to each other across the ice.
    • Shooting response time still seems slow in this game. The ability to get a quick shot off in close is non existent. The current settings for pokes give a major advantage to the d (I like seeing this), so a good counter to that would be a faster release to get the shot off (prevents nerfing the pokes a significant amount). It is extremely hard to get a quick shot after you pick up the puck in the slot from a rebound if the D spam poke.
    Issue:
    • Between the legs L1 deke. None of the forward classes are able to get this to connect. The player goes to perform the animation, but the puck just continues to keep moving past your stick while your guy stays in the animation. It feels as though he is not bringing his stick up fast enough to catch the puck in front of his body after he puts it between his legs.
    • Issue:
      • Goalie stuck on his ass. We have seen this happen to both our goalie - and the opposing teams goalie - numerous times. For some reason... every time the puck is shot from above the top of the circle to the blocker side, the goalie is locked in an animation that freezes him sitting down after he stretches to make the save. Not sure if it is just coincidence or not, but this only happens on the blocker side. On the glove side, the goalie puts down his glove to push himself back to the butterfly.
      Fix:
      • Hit "x" to stand up for now is the temp fix. The goalie seems to lack the animation on the blocker side to get back to butterfly when sitting down. It's almost like he doesn't have that push animation coded to get back up once he falls in that position from making a blocker side save. I don't know why, but the goalie will only use his glove to push up on any shot to the glove side.
    • Goalie is locked in "skating" mode. This happened a few times to our goalie yesterday in different occasions. One of the ways to fix your goalie to get him to stand up when he is stuck sitting down is to tap "x" to stand him back up (see above). When you do that, however, the goalie for some reason will be locked in sprint mode sometimes. Instead of defaulting to goalie controls, he will skate around aimlessly as if he was playing the puck when you move your left stick. This also happens when the goalie goes to play the puck, and is bumped. Only a whistle will reset the goalie in this instance.
    • Passing backwards to D in neutral zone. As a center, I make quite a few regroup passes to reset in the neutral zone. For some reason, I have had some issues getting the guy to actually make that pass to the D man. Some of the others have as well on our team. Instead of making an open tape to tape pass, the pass will go either too far in front, or too far behind the d to where he is unable to catch the pass.
    General Comment:

• Formula for home ice in EASHL. Not sure what the exact statistic is on this, but I am pretty sure my club has played less than 5% of our games at home. We are the away team a good 1 out of 5/6 games (30 games or so sample). There could be another reason to why we aren't getting home team, but all of us have a fast internet. It'd be nice to understand how home team is picked in 17 since we were home around 65% of the time on 16.
    • Penalties in general are perfect for the first time in a long time. I was never a fan of excessive calls that did not impact the outcome after the play moved on. Whatever the slider is set at right now should stay for the real game. It is perfect for 6's play.
    • Goalies are on point. I am happy to see lower scoring games, and goalies getting rewarded for being in position. Please do not take that away. It is an essential part of 6's to have a goalie that can make big saves to keep games low scoring. A+++ @jonlol for your input here.
    • Shot accuracy is perfect. For the first time since the 09 days on xbox, you are able to snipe a goalie on the far side with a perfect shot using the right build (grinders do not have same accuracy as sniper class, and shooting reflects that). Even more impressive, the puck actually shoots to where you are aiming. I can't tell you how many times I seen my player default to shooting at the goalie's glove high the last few titles. As long as the goalie is in position, they should make the save which is happening. The goalie should not be rewarded, however, for being out of position and should get sniped (again currently happening). The shooting needs to be left alone.
    Honestly, I feel like I am playing a more refined version of NHL 09-12 on the PlayStation. The game plays identical to what it did on the 360, and is really enjoyable. The guys with the better team are rewarded for playing together. The average person can't hero mode anymore which helps separate the better players without the addition of custom classes (which for the record I am against pre-built ones).

Frost

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    frostx7
  13. Bizzibiz

Bizzibiz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +256 / 64 / -30
    Seems 4 penalties is the limit for the auto-kick. I got booted with 2 seconds to go for taking my 4th penalty. No points were awarded!!

1st tripping infraction : Turnover breakaway and naturally I dove and took a penalty. (prevented a goal) Hey I had to!
    2nd penalty was a slash while attempting the new "hold X" stick tie up. If the player is too far away they will try a stick lift first.
    3rd penalty was all on me. Poke check at a bad angle :p
    4th penalty that resulted in the force kick was the end of the game icing clear and we ALL went to crush the player. C'mon...there was 2 seconds to go!! Boarding major and bam it kicked me out hah!

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  14. DarthGotenks45

DarthGotenks45 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That shit was funny though. Lol

No Streaming Account
  15. ProbableKoz

ProbableKoz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +146 / 11 / -39
    Yea it was but had it been a league game I don't think it would have been as funny, but the way he was going to the bench was like "fuck this shit I'm going to get pizza and beer"

ProbableKoz
  16. ilovebruins4

ilovebruins4 The king of nothing

Ratings:
    +17 / 10 / -11
    does anyone have a code a wanna give it a try

No Streaming Account
  17. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    What console?

LeagueGamingOfficial
  18. Zumeck

Zumeck Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Zumeck#3560
    Ratings:
    +863 / 102 / -155
    Was playing the beta, one of their guys was on his way to the net, on a breakaway, while one of our players was catching up. One of their guys initiated a fight with the guy that was chasing the breakaway player, before he caught up to him. That shouldn't happen.

19. Zumeck

Zumeck Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Zumeck#3560
    Ratings:
    +863 / 102 / -155
    We shouldn't be forced to use custom jerseys and logos in club. Would be nice to use custom arenas in LG. Also, i've heard that they're going to change the stats page back to gamertags. I hope that's true.

20. SMS Fan 3

SMS Fan 3 CHL Deputy Commissioner

Discord:
    SMS Fan 3#7289
    Ratings:
    +108 / 26 / -10
    @tha_nightman @Kozmo483264 I've also seen this glitch happen. Hope it's fixed.

smsfan3