Please Review! NHL 23 Technical Test Feedback - Early Thoughts?

Discussion in 'EA NHL Series' started by LG McDonald, Aug 30, 2022.

?

What are your thoughts?

1. Love it!

21.4%
  2. Hate it!

33.1%
  3. Undecided

35.0%
  4. Other (comment)

10.5%
  1. GRiZ I44I

GRiZ I44I YEAH BUDDY

Discord:
    griz_i44i#0
    Ratings:
    +356 / 49 / -191
    Defense is a joke. There was nothing wrong with it. If anything, it should be buffed. All the D has now is poke checking. IRL you can use your body to stop there momentum. That’s what needs to be added. Making poking harder, and giving forwards more speed seems to be going in the complete opposite direction. Stop saying the defense is overpowered you nerds are scoring 80+ points per season. So we can all agree you’re not having any issues scoring. D man builds need a massive rework. They need to be faster just like forwards are. Just because you’re a d man doesn’t automatically make you slow as shit. Just like being 5’7 doesn’t automatically make you faster.

• Troll Troll x 1
    Bogii13
  2. S-mxrs-H

S-mxrs-H Well-Known Member

Discord:
    smarshy.#0
    Ratings:
    +646 / 44 / -120
    I dont know what game you are playing, but poke checking is horrible, legit unusable. Legit slowed to almost a halt. Minor tweak to it to make it less dramatic then im okay with it.

No Streaming Account
  3. GRiZ I44I

GRiZ I44I YEAH BUDDY

Discord:
    griz_i44i#0
    Ratings:
    +356 / 49 / -191
    Yeah I know. That’s what I meant. I meant in 22 all you can really do in the game as a d man is poke checking. Yeah you can position your self correctly but what other mechanics to the game are there for d men? NONE! Something else needs to be added for d men. Another USEFUL mechanic. Not the stupid stuck tie up that last for .5 seconds. My post was about how much if a joke defense is on the new game.

Bogii13
  4. Klasifyy

Klasifyy Member

Discord:
    klasifyy#0
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -1
    checking is still very much the same. Speed is wayy to fast passing feels good. glitches are prevalent as ever 10/10 ea come take my wallet.

• Troll Troll x 1
    Klasifyy
  5. KxllDrxp-

KxllDrxp- Warning Group

Discord:
    KxllDrxp-#6571
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -3
    Neeed ps5 code plzz

kxlldrxp
  6. Jorrdohh

Jorrdohh Pigeon Here

Ratings:
    +56 / 8 / -8
    This game are bad

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    No Streaming Account
  7. xpht

xpht Well-Known Member

Discord:
    xpht#0
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -7
    The game isn't bad, the hitting just feels off for me. When you go to hit it locks onto a player and most of the time it does not makes the opposing player fall even if you have a heavier build

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  8. Wiqked1

Wiqked1 Owner of szn13 Vville Tigres 62-5-5

Ratings:
    +695 / 19 / -95
    It’s a good game to take a 3szn ban on

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    DZRUHPT
  9. Unit Killer X

Unit Killer X Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully they fix this issue.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  10. Ir0n hAnds

Ir0n hAnds Well-Known Member

Discord:
    ir0nhands#0
    Ratings:
    +180 / 25 / -44
    Love it

No Streaming Account
  11. K_Lemieux66

K_Lemieux66 S46 Edmonton Oil Kings Owner

Discord:
    k_lemieux66#0
    Ratings:
    +132 / 3 / -14
    This is the exact same game. But also take my $90.

kevinlemieux66
  12. XxLebigxX

XxLebigxX S47 LGCHL Ottawa 67s owner

Discord:
    lebig613#0
    Ratings:
    +45 / 11 / -11
    I'd like to see it equal at all position personally and game is great but I know once game is out it will be even better

No Streaming Account
  13. Kingkayne19

Kingkayne19 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 2 / -2
    I don't like how PS4 and Xbox one are cross compatible instead of doing another cross gen. That's unfair to the less fortunate players that want to play in leagues. That is discrimination against the people who haven't financially been able to afford a new system. I want to play LG this next year. I have the tech test and I'm playing wayyy better already than I have in past years

No Streaming Account
  14. DaSteelerz

DaSteelerz More than just cool on the internet

Discord:
    dasteelerz#0
    Ratings:
    +187 / 11 / -25
    A little concerning.. while the game has improved I feel like it isn't very far along.. I know it's a beta but it is the exact UI.. no big changes really. Gameplay feels like it was patched and had the sliders adjusted. Pace feels pretty good, passing is still lacking a bit but has improved slightly. It feels very polished for a beta - as it should be, because it hasn't really changed drastically.

All in all it's an improvement - but it seems like EA is in a tough spot. They shouldn't be releasing yearly installments with this game. But the NHL team is probably relying on that revenue. Making the game 40 USD would probably make more sense, but who knows. It will be the hardcore player that continues to buy this as there is nothing groundbreaking or fresh in the UI, gameplay, or presentation. The fringe player could be left on the fence because there will likely still be headaches and piles of inconveniences with the menu interfaces and how it's designed - a place where change is desperately needed in my opinion, though menu speeds have improved greatly.

To sum it up, unless miraculously this game overall changes in a month's time, we will be stuck with more of the same but slightly better. The NHL team should focus on making a great game with a better presentation and interface, and focus on gameplay. Cut the virtual goodie bag, vbucks, WOC nonsense down and devote a few employees elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  15. S-mxrs-H

Discord:
    smarshy.#0
    Ratings:
    +646 / 44 / -120
    Passing is way better and crisper better then its been in a long time. D you actually have to play D and be sound positionally and get punished for a bad play or step etc, granted they can tone down the slow down from the poke. If you are still skating with your stick and feet are moving, then 100% continue same speed or like a very minor tweak in slow down, otherwise the slow down is too drastic for poke check to even be used. Unless you are good 3 feet in front of player. You 100% can't poke check from behind. Its gonna be a new dynamic that players who play D are going to have to get used to. You can't play so aggressive this year. Defensive D mindset is gonna be the way to go and let the forwards play forward and can't push up every play, otherwise you will get punished. That's how it should be. Game feels more optimized for authenticity and esports. Goalie even though i sucked at it, feels good for most part. I did see horrible animations still on shots moving left to right where my goalie angles pad away from shot and it went in for no reason when I moved my goalie didn't stay square. So that needs fixed. Forwards seem the strongest point of the game for sure, which is okay. I felt forwards got shafted last year and D was so strong. Now roles have flipped. Keeps it fresh, I think game just needs to be optimized to match speed of real life hockey and flow. I think if game gets optimized for the release and most of core values stay the same. It could be a good game and one worth grinding but EA for w.e reason slow down the game at launch every single year and make it very boring like we are playing high school hockey. The new last chance animations do not happen often and need to have quick thumbs to pull it off.

EA keep the speed and passing of the game as is and optimize more tools for D or less drastic of a change to poke checks and I think game can be solid. Goalie just needs overhaul, hire andrei vasilevskiy for the movement and animations, since most of us who play G usually run 6 ft 5 anyway. Angles have been so bad for goalies, they used to be so good too. But Ea makes changes just to tune it down or up every year and then call it new or bring something back and call it new. Optimistic is the word, I have almost after every single year of a beta that I play. But usually gets tarnished after launch to a slower tuned down game of what beta brings, game needs to be fast to ''simulate the nhl'' EASHL should be considered NHL gamestyle no matter what. EASHL builds need to be tuned up to be crisp and feel authentic. Feels good overall but they always seem to tune it for the launch. Alsoo the servers are horrible on the beta. Legit 20 ping higher then nhl 22 on qc.

@LG McDonald

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  16. S-mxrs-H

Discord:
    smarshy.#0
    Ratings:
    +646 / 44 / -120
    Be persistent, I doubt it's a lack of money for you. I got 3 for me and my buddies, when it was the hardest to get one. Which is why I didn't wait because I thought this may happen. Bout it at retail price too, don't overpay for it like 600 plus is too much. Don't blame them and pull the discrimination card for your lack of persistence and preparedness, as you knew all games would eventually go to ps5 anyway. Its been out long enough and almost every week a new retailer is doing link grabs where you gotta be quick.

Not to be harsh or anything.

But good luck

No Streaming Account
  17. tugeye92

tugeye92 cody_mcfly

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    Same shit new game

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    No Streaming Account
  18. manocchs

manocchs Well-Known Member

Discord:
    manocchs#0
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -5
    Anyone have a series code I can use? It was closed when I registered and was only able to get an xbone code.

manocchs
  19. Cross_X_Check

Cross_X_Check Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 123 / -201
    So here are my thoughts.

Pros:

1. Poke checking and losing speed is a must keep. I'm sorry but people being able to poke constantly while maintaining full speed was a joke and unrealistic. You should not be rewarded for spamming a button and should need to be more precise.

2. Balance seems to be going in the right direction. In 22 we saw people being simply tickled from behind and losing the puck or someone simply going by someone and losing the puck on air. I think it's slightly overpowered right now but some slight adjustments can be made.

3. Passing. From what I've experienced you can actually pass a bit more consistently now especially on the backhand.

Cons:

1. Puck intercepts. If someone is looking the other way they should not be able to intercept a pass. Now I can see if it hits them or they have an animation to break up the pass but to simply just pick up a full charged pass with their back to the puck is a no-go.

2. Player attributes. I did some fiddling around with the builds and it seems now that you can get certain builds up to 95 Speed and Accel without much of a decrease in strength and balance. In 22 we could get 5'7" 160lb snipers up to 93 speed maxed out and weren't able to use a boost because durability was too low. In the technical test durability is still high when going that same build and you're able to equip a boost and make your speed and Accel 95. Terrible idea. Now, the PWF highest with a boost in 22 was 87 speed and Accel, now you can go to 90 each with boosts and being 6'2 214. I'm ok with this. You have a little more speed but you sacrifice having a killer shot.

Imo this is how builds strengths/weaknesses should be:

Sniper:
    STR in Shooting/Speed/Agility
    WEAK: Balance/Strength/Puck Control

PWF:
    STR in Balance/Puck Control/Strength
    WEAK: Shooting/Deking/Passing

I'll make a more in depth look later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
    cross_x_check
  20. GN0USS

GN0USS Member

Discord:
    gn0uss#0
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Definitely a mess on PS4 , would only play it once I get my hands on a ps5.

défense about to get harder

No Streaming Account