NHL Player Ratings, After Week 1

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by ClumsyTurtle13, Jun 14, 2019.

?

DO you like the player ratings and want them to continue this season?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. It is something to look at

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. This is dumb, go back to the AHL

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. ClumsyTurtle13

ClumsyTurtle13 xMAssStAtiC-

Discord:
    xMAssStAtiC-#1607
    Ratings:
    +370 / 2 / -8
    Hello everyone, welcome back to another season of LG. As I have been doing now for 4 seasons in the AHL and now 2 in the NHL, I will be bringing another player ratings list as the season progresses. For those who have followed this before, there were 2 changes to the formula and one addition to it for both forwards and defensemen. Goalie ratings have remained unchanged and without the addition of advanced stats. I know this was a highly requested thing last season so I will do my best to implement these in the coming weeks.

If you are only here to see the ratings and do not care about how they are calculated you can skip to the link at the bottom of the thread. If you wish to see how they are calculated and/or want to give feedback please read on.

Issue from Last Season

For the most part last season, the player ratings did not see much tweaking or changes besides visual appeal. However the one issue that did come involved GS (Goal Support), G% (Goal Percentage), and A% (Assist Percentage). Essentially players were rewarded more points of they scored on a team that did not score often compared to a team that scored frequently. There was a lack of balance in this and some players stats if they had a very specific stat could gain way more than intended value for their player rating if they were on a bad team. This is an issue that was eventually resolved by making the GS factor very minuscule in the calculations. It still mattered but not nearly as much. I want to thank everyone who contributed to that discussion!

With the addition of new information this off-season, I discovered that the way G% and A% work is slightly different than I thought. I have updated this in the stat key tab in my google sheet for everyone to see. With this I have revised and updated the formula to give what is hopefully a more truthful player rating which I will highlight below.

Changes and Fixes

-GS has been removed from the formula. It used to be used in combination with G% and A% to adjust glorified stats from players on good teams and boost players who are playing well on bad teams. With the new information, this was discovered to be false so it has been removed.

-G% no longer gets adjusted by any factors. The G% is the amount of the goals a player scored while he was playing. EX. If I score 1 goal in 10 games and my team had 20 goals in those 10 games, then my G% is 5 because I scored 5% of the team's goals.

-A% no longer gets adjusted by any factors. This works nearly identically to G% with one extra step. The team's goals get subtracted by the amount of goals the player scored and then the A% gets calculated. Ex. In 10 games a player scored 5 goals and 10 assists and the team had 20 goals in those games total. The player's G% is 25 and the A% is 66 because the player scored 10 assists out of the 20-5=15 goals that the player didn't score. In other words A% is the percent of points the player scored out of the goals the team scored excluding the player's goals. It is a confusing description and I will gladly go into further detail in the comments if desired.

-SF (Scoring Factor) has been added to the formula. This is the percent of the team's points a player contributed to. If the team scores 30 points in 10 games and the player had 15 points (Any combination of goals and assists) the player will have a scoring factor of 50 because 15/30=.5=50%

Adjusted Formula Weights For Forwards and Defensemen

For each stat category (Hits, Goals, Takeaways, etc.) a weight is assigned to it to determine the importance of the stat. This is done to ensure that the top goal scorer is valued as more important than the top hitter. All of these weights when added equal 100. So the closer a player's rating is to 100 the better they are valued by my formula. The way the formula works is that each player's stat is compared to the player with the highest value in that stat and a ratio is calculated. This ratio is then multiplied to the weight to give the player a score for that stat. The sum of all the stats' scores is the player's rating.

Example 1: A player has 10 goals. The player with the most goals in the league is this player with 10. So therefore this player has a ratio of 1 for goals. If the weight for this player's position is 6 then the player scores 6*1=6 points towards his player rating.

Example 2: A player has 5 goals. The player with the most goals in the league has 10 goals. So therefore this player has a ratio of 0.5 (5/10) for goals. This is then multiplied by the weight for their position. If the weight is 6 then the player's score for this stat is 6*0.5=3.

Notice how compared to the first player in example 1, the second player will score 3 less points for not scoring the amount of goals as player 1. This is done for every stat listed below and multiplied by their respective weights. Essentially if a player has a perfect player rating of 100 then that means they have the best value in every stat.

Forward Weights

Goals: 22
    Assists: 17
    G%: 7
    A%: 5
    SF: 14
    OZE: 9.6
    P2E: 6.4
    OEE: 3
    SAF: 1
    PPKE: 1.5
    Goals Against: 1
    TA: 3
    BS: 0.5
    +/-: 1
    PIM: 4
    H: 1
    Giveaways: 3

Defensemen Weights

Goals: 6
    Assists: 3
    G%: 2.5
    A%: 1.5
    SF: 3
    OZE: 2.4
    P2E: 1.6
    OEE: 15
    SAF: 5
    PPKE: 7.5
    Goals Against: 5
    TA: 15
    BS: 2.5
    +/-: 3
    PIM: 12
    H: 3
    Giveaways: 12

Goalie Weights

Saves: 11
    SO: 6
    Save%: 46
    GAA: 16
    W/GP: 21

There is also one hidden factor for all 3 position types. After the player rating is calculated it is scaled slightly down if players have a significant amount of less games played. This is usually a 3-6% decrease for player who missed a handful of games and for players called up late in the season this number is closer to 20%. This is to keep players who had an amazing 5 games from getting glorified ratings compared to those who have 15+ games played. This mostly effects goalies.

Link To Player Ratings

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c_sIr8arJyl20_XmHkRAqW5swEr_osCJNCm3M4hHC9U/edit?usp=sharing

I want to thank everyone who has given feedback (negative and positive) and those who have supported the player ratings. These would not be where they are without you all. Please continue to ask questions, point things out, and give feedback. This helps me and I always do my best to respond to everyone as timely as I can. Thank you everyone for the read and hope you have a great season!

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Xmassstatic