NHL Player Ratings, After Week 6

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by ClumsyTurtle13, Jul 21, 2019.

1. ClumsyTurtle13

ClumsyTurtle13 xMAssStAtiC-

Discord:
    xMAssStAtiC-#1607
    Ratings:
    +370 / 2 / -8
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Xmassstatic
  2. B-Bunny

B-Bunny Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 47 / -73
    I honestly dont give a fuck about these but since you put the work in every week unlike everyone else on media...

You have certain stats being weighted too heavily vs others. I'll use this as an example.

18 GP / 8-9-1 / 26 pts / 14 goals / 12 assists / -11 / 64 shots / 21.9% / 14 PIM / 127 hits / 190 GA / 64 TA

16 GP / 12-4-0 / 38 pts / 16 goals / 22 assists / +26 / 56 shots / 28.6% / 37 PIM / 88 hits / 196 GA / 46 TA

Guess who's ranked higher?

And if you want to argue about why, think to yourself what this data is actually supposed to prove or show. Because it's not who is better.

• Informative Informative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  3. iCallsoWhat55

iCallsoWhat55 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    icallsowhat55#1227
    Ratings:
    +787 / 49 / -145
    First guy should be ranked higher. He has way more hits and way less PIM.

• Funny Funny x 1
    icallsowhat55
  4. ClumsyTurtle13

Discord:
    xMAssStAtiC-#1607
    Ratings:
    +370 / 2 / -8
    Can you tell me where these two players are ranked so I can look? More than these stats you have listed go into the rankings and there can be other things factoring as well.

Xmassstatic
  5. B-Bunny

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 47 / -73
    Isn't that the problem? I left them anonymous for a reason. I'm not looking into justification as to why your algorithms put these like this, but merely stating this is wrong based on what we see here. Things aren't weighted correctly. Your other stats are misguiding whats most important.

No Streaming Account
  6. ClumsyTurtle13

Discord:
    xMAssStAtiC-#1607
    Ratings:
    +370 / 2 / -8
    I somewhat understand what you are saying but this was designed to give good players on bad teams more credit than the LG site provides and to give more defensive players all around more credit because LG only cares about how many goals you have even on defense and that's ridiculous.

My guess is that the guy with the bad record has significantly less penalties with more takeaways making him far more superior at taking the puck and being a team player but that's only affecting his rating by about 5-10 points over the other. Where he is most likely beating the other player is G% and A% which tells you a ton about if the player is carrying or being carried on his team. And just looking at the winning record I'd say he is much more on the being carried side than the losing record guy and that's where another chunk of points go into the losing record guys favor. But I cant say for sure without looking at all of both of their stats.

Maybe the weights still need tweaking but I'd say that wont drastically change the rankings. I dont have my notes with me to verify but scoring and point stats are about 75% of forward rating scores.

I've been pretty busy this summer but if I'm able to get enough time to put into these ratings posts I will try to repost what the weights are and how they are calculated and then we can have a better discussion and you can tell me which ones you feel are too heavy or too light. After all these are here for the community so if the community doesnt like them I will gladly adjust what they want adjusted.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Xmassstatic
  7. Parihse

Parihse Friends call me P

Discord:
    Parihse#8419
    Ratings:
    +415 / 7 / -32
    There are going to be flaws in every system. I’ve enjoyed looking at the ratings the past two seasons. Well done.

• Like Like x 1
    parihse
  8. B-Bunny

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 47 / -73
    To each their own, but I think some of these stats are heavily biased for situational circumstances.

Centers are naturally going to be getting more takeaways because they sit in the slot. 14 of the top 20 in takeaways are Centers.

Giveaways are more of a sign that the guy with the puck is being fed the puck the most by his team. That's a fact, just look at the top 20 in giveaways. All are great players. It doesn't mean they are a detriment to the team per se. But thats EA NHL for you.

No Streaming Account
  9. ClumsyTurtle13

Discord:
    xMAssStAtiC-#1607
    Ratings:
    +370 / 2 / -8
    Yeah, I agree. When I first started I kept every specific position separate. That's something I want to do again but cant because the LG site doesnt allow you to separate advanced stats by specific position. Hopefully that can get fixed so I can go back to that method and include other stats like faceoff percentage.

• Like Like x 1
    Xmassstatic