OTL Losses

Discussion in 'E-Sports Hockey League' started by SweeT 9 LoU 84, Apr 26, 2016.

?

Would you like to see OTL recorded in the standings (still count as no points)

1. Yes - i would like to see OTL recorded in the standings

71.2%
  2. No - i would like to see all losses recorded as losses

28.8%
  1. Raynor

Raynor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,492 / 10 / -12
    Good thing they aren't talking about playoffs.

• Useful Useful x 1
    No Streaming Account
  2. Chipy-ox

Chipy-ox Should be worth 11 mil at least - Mitts

Discord:
    Chipy-ox#0918
    Ratings:
    +588 / 146 / -171
    I didn't mean just cause its playoffs I was just saying if it doesn't affect the standings why have it? A loss is still a loss no matter what.

chipyox
  3. Nuge

Nuge SmithZz

Discord:
    nuge#0
    Ratings:
    +6,623 / 177 / -194
    Tiebreakers would be the use for OTLs

4. Chipy-ox

Discord:
    Chipy-ox#0918
    Ratings:
    +588 / 146 / -171
    I think OTL's shouldnt be the tie breaker if you don't get any points from it in the regular season standings then it shouldn't be a tie breaker.
    Goal differential should be the tie breaker. Then Goals for, Then Goals against. I don't think you need more tie breakers than that.

chipyox
  5. SweetLou9208

SweetLou9208 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    good thing this is a regular season league or a tournament type format for 10 weeks followed by playoffs . . .

SweeT9LoU84
  6. Chipy-ox

Discord:
    Chipy-ox#0918
    Ratings:
    +588 / 146 / -171
    God I swear people don't understand what I'm saying. I'm saying they mean nothing so there is no reason to have them shown except to make their record look better. Thats why I used the example of playoffs cause there isn't anything for OTL's in playoffs, or any other sport for that matter. Basketball they don't get anything for a OTL, so its not shown on their record. Baseball same thing if it goes to extra innings do they have an extra column? Nope.

chipyox
  7. Hannah7Banana22

Hannah7Banana22 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,417 / 191 / -360
    You can't compare different sports for your argument Jets, they are vastly different. Below is % of games that go into 'OT' (from various sources)

Mlb ~ 10
    NBA~ 6
    NHL~ 23
    Didn't find NFL but I'd bet my left nut it would be by far the lowest out of the 4.

One of those things is not like the other. Hmm

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  8. Chipy-ox

Discord:
    Chipy-ox#0918
    Ratings:
    +588 / 146 / -171
    Again not the point I'm making. I don't think OTL deserve a point, but I was using other sports to show since they don't get points for OTL they don't show them on their record cause they don't mean anything OTL is still a L. Also in this game if you lose you lose that's it. You shouldn't get points for almost winning or getting it to OT. I don't think you should even have points in this league. The top 16 best records make playoffs and that's it. A team with less wins than one team shouldn't make playoffs over the team with more wins.

chipyox
  9. Girgss

Girgss CHEL

Discord:
    girgs#4300
    Ratings:
    +2,245 / 57 / -103
    It's about winning and losing. No more, no less.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  10. SweetLou9208

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    There are not points for OTL, no one is asking for that. There was a discussion on Nuges stream he announced it awhile back and everyone voted for no OTL points, which was the right call for this style. All i said was why not record it in the standings. You still get 0 points for it and it can serve some merit in a tournament where people want to see how they stack up against the best teams. If you don't think a team who went 18-9-11 is better then a team who straight up went 18-20 , it just shows they can hang, people want to see how they stack up against the best which is why a lot of these teams signed up since a majority know they don't have a chance to win it all but just want to play top 6s games since no one searches in club anymore or seems to care about the leaderboards since they brought club challenge games back without them counting as ranked.

In addition, it could be used as a tie breaker. It def shouldn't be the initial tie breaker, but could come in handy over some other things. Obviously since theres no points for OTL all teams with more wins would make playoffs, but if a team was tied, you would want to go Head to Head 1st and foremost but theres only 2 games against everyone so a split could be very likely. I would follow that by OTL in my opinion compared to goals scored or goals allowed, mainly bc one team may be a defensive minded team another may be an offensive style. There could have even been a game where they were just killing someone and that team stopped trying and so why should that punish one team, compared to going by OTLs which would show which team was in more games.

• Like Like x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    SweeT9LoU84
  11. Chipy-ox

Discord:
    Chipy-ox#0918
    Ratings:
    +588 / 146 / -171
    I see what you're saying, but if you do OTLs shown on the record to show that teams are hanging on till OT then you should show OTWs to show how some teams are barely scraping by.
    OTLs shouldn't be a tie breaker or one of the first 2 at least, because there are teams that are very defensive and don't create many opportunities and can get to OT a lot of the time with the score being low like 2-1 or such. Goals for or goals against shouldn't be a single tie breaker it should be goal differential, like soccer that is the first tie breaker in most leagues and it is a good tie breaker in my opinion. Cause instead of doing goals against or goals for it shows both sides of the spectrum.

chipyox
  12. SweetLou9208

Discord:
    SweetLou#9373
    Ratings:
    +5,393 / 162 / -406
    True but again there are just different styles. Also OTWs could just show you are clutch, i think we were like 2-11 in OT last season lol some teams were awesome in OT and some teams suck. As far as the tie breaker i still think it is a good measure bc of the outlier games and again some teams styles are just so different. Some teams trap and keep games low scoring, it doesnt mean they aren't as good as a very offensive team who controls the puck and blows people out. I just think OTL would show that people were in games compared to goal differential which shows team blew people out on occasion.

Anyways, Tris said he cant make the OTLs worth 0 points for some reason so all this was for nothing lol. Sorry for wasting everyones time just thought it could be a good measurement of teams success or lack of success in the tourney plus a potential tie breaker and talking point for nuges weekly show.

SweeT9LoU84
  13. Bane Dont Care

Bane Dont Care Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +321 / 14 / -16
    Idiot

• Winner Winner x 3
    No Streaming Account
  14. Nemzer 89

Nemzer 89 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +185 / 0 / -0
    Lou i think you brought this up last season lol. I totally agree with you on it just because its a part of hockey I've also always felt the extra point should be awarded just because you arent losing the game in the alotted amount of time given for the game to be played so just like how they do in the NHL you should get rewarded. Just my two cents though so who cares.

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  15. Remnato

Remnato Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Remnato#6916
    Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -1
    I feel one point should be awarded, Tell me what real league does not award points for an extra time win or loss. It is a better tracker than goals for or against since as other people have stated a team might start to get owned and just give up. An Over time loss is a more accurate reflection of the teams record.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
    remnato
  16. Girgss

Girgss CHEL

Discord:
    girgs#4300
    Ratings:
    +2,245 / 57 / -103
    :thinking:

No Streaming Account
  17. Coach Denham

Coach Denham Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,242 / 70 / -91
    MLB
    NBA
    NFL
    BPL
    La Liga
    Serie A
    Bundesliga
    WNBA (Oh wait, we said real leagues.)

Just to name a few...

A loss is a loss. I dont know how some of you guys can want losses to count as points in the standings in a buy-in competitive tournament.

A team that is 0-0-64 should not be equivalent to someone who is 32-32-0.

• Like Like x 2
    KingDenham
  18. I SSJ Bardock I

I SSJ Bardock I Party Planner

Ratings:
    +547 / 0 / -0
    The OTL point is the dumbest thing in NA hockey. "Hey these 2 teams aren't good enough to get the W in regulation... so let's make the game worth 50% more." The only reason it is in the NHL is to make the standings closer.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account