Media PSA: Bidding 101

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Canadian Hockey League (LGCHL PSN)' started by GuruGreg79, Oct 29, 2020.

1. GuruGreg x79

GuruGreg x79 Never-Was Used-to-Be Commissioner

Discord:
    GuruGreg79#5238
    Ratings:
    +593 / 11 / -49
    Sharing for PSN, as it was posted for Xbox, but also contains a lot of good info/content.

All credit goes to @Hawksfan4444

=========================================================

I wanted to put out a little bidding PSA to more so helping the new management teams as well as give a refresher to some of the older vets who may have forgotten and or overlook a few things in terms of bidding.

The green highlighted is the TLDR if you choose not to read everything.

1. Have a Plan
    - Many of you if not all of you have already decided on how you want to approach bidding. Some of you may be appointing one guy to handle the bulk of the work, others may be taking the committee approach. There is no right or wrong answer here but NOT having a plan is a sure way to have a bad bidding experience.

2. Scouting
    - By now a bulk of your scouting work should already be done. If not, I would highly suggest you start. Scouting is key in terms of finding that fresh new talent as well as being able to find that right combination of players who can gel and mesh within your team's structure. If you are not as active as some of the other management teams, not to worry. One of the things that are often overlooked is using a player's stats page. While yes, it is a new game this season, you can still use a player's history in order to get a general idea of how good/bad a player is. For example, if every season a player is constantly putting up a positive record with a decent point value that can generally translate to mean they have thumbs and could be worthy of a blind bid, should you not have scouted them.

3. Key Players
    - Just like in real life sports, teams are built with stars and role players. I feel like this is also often overlooked when management teams are putting together a roster. Look, at the end of the day you, of course, want all the "best" players but if we are being realistic that won't happen. There are 86 teams in the CHL, players are going to get bids left and right. From your scouting, you want to have a group of "KEY" players you want to build around and have that as a foundation. Every team that has succeeded in the CHL ALWAYS had a strong foundation and was able to build the right pieces around them. If you have not already you should look over your scouting list and identify the CORE players you want to build your team around and attack attack attack to get these guys.

4. Prospects are your friend
    - EVERY YEAR and yes I do mean every year, a team is hit by the dreaded call-up bug. For those of you who are new. Prospects are unable to be called up. This is different than a draft pick so make sure you identify the difference (Draft picks are already on your roster as a TC). You aren't going to build your entire team with prospects nor would I recommend that however, you should 100% be looking for prospect players to build as both roster and TC players. It WILL happen, it is impossible to say when, but you WILL lose players to call-ups. The teams who have success over the course of the entire season are the ones who are able to limit their call-up exposure as well as being prepared for when the inevitable happens. This is your warning.

5. Preception Doesn't Matter
    - One of the things why LG so enticing and appealing is how the league(s) are set up, most notably as an Owner. At the end of the day, you can build your team however you see fit. You can stack offense and try to boat race every game. You could also choose to stack on defense and goalies to try and suffocate your opponents. As soon as bidding starts the shoutbox is going to react to every bid. It could be on a well-known player or some new prospect but rest assured there will be reactions. People will undoubtedly be spamming the poop emoji on bids they think are bad and overreacting to high contracts on players they feel aren't worthy of such a salary, and guess what............ IT DOESNT MATTER. Don't try to make the shoutbox happy by making a huge splash or going after the player they want to get a bid. At the end of the day, this is YOUR team, build it YOUR way and you will have success this season.

Bidding Strategy
    - There are multiple ways to approach bidding in terms of strategy, for the purposes of this write up I will be going over the two most common. As a disclaimer there is no right or wrong way to approach this section, more so showing you what to expect.

6a. Aggressive
    - One thing you already know if you are a veteran and you will likely see early on is bids are going to be going out fast and furious when the bidding starts. While this can be expected with 86 teams fighting over the same players you may be surprised to see players getting bidding on right after you put your bid on them. This can be taken in two regards. One, multiple teams are interested in the same player you are, OR teams can be bidding up a player, in reality, they have zero interest in but don't want to give away a player for a cheap salary. Now, this is very much a risk-reward aspect to bidding. The ultimate goal here is to still get the players you want at the salary you want them at while making the other teams overpay for their players. The risk comes into effect when you overstep on a bid when trying to bid up a player and no one else puts another bid in. If this happens you would then be stuck with a player you really didn't want and were just trying to make other teams overpay for. However, if it works you would be giving yourself the salary advantage. The choice is yours.

6b. Passive
    - The opposite of the above approach. This strategy isn't as flashy or fun when showing your bidding board but if you read #5 you would know that doesn't matter. This is basically where you let the chips fall where they may and while everyone else is worrying about all the bidding wars going on you are sitting back taking in the WHOLE picture. Keep in mind you have 8 hours per bid, so there is no rush here. By taking this approach you can take a look at the entire bidding system and decide where to make your moves. If Defenders are going overlooked, by staying calm you are going to be able to find those players that are being overlooked. You also may be able to see the value where others don't.

7. Expect The Unexpected.
    - Mike Tyson famously said, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." I think this sums up how the bidding will go for most of you. If you followed this thread then I am assuming you will have a plan. After about an hour of bidding your plan is going to not be looking so great. Sneaky cheap prospects you thought would go for 500k will be bid up at 2mil. Players you thought would be overlooked, won't be. How you adapt to these problems is going to be the difference between you have a successful or unsuccessful bidding result. You need to have a backup plan for when things don't go your way, and then have a backup to the backup.

8. Seasons are won with Trades
    - More of an extension on my #7 point. If bidding is not going your way, do not panic. Teams always forget that you have a full season of trades to be able to build and tool your roster. Even if the bidding goes perfect and exactly the way you want it to. ALWAYS, and yes I mean ALWAYS, the championship teams are the ones who are able to make good quality trades throughout the season. That being said you want to just keep this in the back of your mind. During bidding, not only be looking out for roster players but also be on the lookout for trade bait. This can be done in terms of value picks and or prospects. Trades as they always do will win you a championship and finding the right trade pieces starts in bidding.

9. SPEND YOUR MONEY
    EVERY DAMN YEAR I watch a team go through the entire bidding process and end up having 15mil leftover unspent going into the season. Look I get it, if you spend your entire cap it limits your ability to do trades and take on bigger contracts that other teams may not want to have on their books. With that in mind, you have to remember if you leave all that cap on the table, who are you trading to get these high contract guys? Leaving cap on the table achieves nothing. This is not real life where you are the owner and money you don't spend is kept in your pocket. You get no bonus points for winning with a roster under the cap. I am not telling you to just spend for the sake of spending, but use your cap. Take a shot or two on a "Biggie". There will be a team that does this I promise you. Please don't be that team.

10. HAVE FUN
    - After all this planning and scouting and time put in, never forget this whole league is designed to be fun. This is a free league meant to make new friends and have fun playing a hockey game. Don't stress yourself out over making the perfect bid or building the perfect team. This season is a marathon, not a sprint.

• Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    GuruGreg79
  2. bmore_80

bmore_80 Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 2 / -3
    Very good info, thanks!

No Streaming Account
  3. XxMatt-_-26

XxMatt-_-26 the true s9 mem cup champs

Discord:
    Mxtt-_-#2000
    Ratings:
    +1,422 / 69 / -169
    I think you are probably a lost cause if this statement applies to you. Lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    MrImster
  4. GuruGreg x79

GuruGreg x79 Never-Was Used-to-Be Commissioner

Discord:
    GuruGreg79#5238
    Ratings:
    +593 / 11 / -49
    It was posted Monday for Xbox CHL, so even then, probably a bit late in the process... :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 1
    GuruGreg79
  5. Googan85

Googan85 Hookset SZN

Ratings:
    +170 / 43 / -62
    9. SPEND YOUR MONEY
    EVERY DAMN YEAR I watch a team go through the entire bidding process and end up having 15mil leftover unspent going into the season.

Gotta save that cap to be able to fill your team with all the RAVs

googan85
  6. xRxCkYz4

xRxCkYz4 Owner of Valdor S15-S17

Ratings:
    +328 / 34 / -62
    Not this season you don’t!

No Streaming Account
  7. Googan85

Googan85 Hookset SZN

Ratings:
    +170 / 43 / -62
    I was told it was said in town hall that the RAV new rule will only be enforced on the Xbox side this season.

googan85