S29 Draft Recap

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by goonderk, Apr 22, 2018.

1. goonderk

goonderk goonderk#6561

Ratings:
    +2,919 / 14 / -27
    Season 29 NHL Draft Recap
    (warning: long read)

The Top 10:

1. :team11: @Potty l92l
    Position: Center
    NHL Record: 10-10-3
    37P 14G 23A -11

The first overall pick, Potty l92l, was less than "the next Connor McDavid". Roughly .500 in the NHL and 37 points doesn't make this pick look great. However, he wasn't flanked with a ton of talent and seems that he was expected to carry a line which is a lot to ask of anyone in NHL 18, not just a draft pick transitioning to the NHL. One thing that looks good is a great faceoff percentage in 58% and the takeaways per game is pretty good.

2. :team11: @iTz x Luigi x
    Position: Left Defenseman
    NHL Record: 20-6-2
    25P 5G 20A +29

Viewing this as anything other than a great pick would be a mistake. I'd posit that Luigi had much more talent as his usual linemates than his team's earlier pick, but it's not too often a draft pick immediately steps in to a 20 win season. Top 15 in points, +/-, and takeaways gives a quick snapshot of this defenseman. He also sports a 10-6-1 record versus playoff teams and 10-0-1 record versus teams who missed the playoffs.

3. :team4: @ZuKe Zuchegno
    Position: Right Defenseman
    NHL Record: 16-7-2
    10P 2G 8A +9

The 3rd pick by the Flyers just so happened to be Luigi's defense partner in the CHL for the Gatineau Olympiques. This looks like a decent 3rd overall pick on the surface. The Flyers struggled early and so did Zuke. After missing the first week of the season, Zuke suffered a third of his losses of the season in week 2. Similar records vs playoff and non-playoff teams looks good, but the Flyers no doubt hope that Zuke gets more involved on offense and the neutral zone next season to more fully realize his potential in the last season of his draft contract.

4. :team23: @Capitalize x94
    NHL Record: 16-6-2
    58P 24G 34A +10

Capitalize was 2nd in rookie scoring behind @Lyons x 63 with 58 points, though Capitalize went directly from the CHL to the NHL as a draft pick. A 60.8 faceoff percentage and a 9-3-2 record against playoff teams says a little about what Capitalize is capable of. Cap had a variety of different linemates with availability issues and missed some time, but with a stellar first season especially compared other draft pick it's hard to label this pick anything other than a hit.

5. :team78: @T9 GaLaRnEaUx19
    NHL Record: 8-10-0
    17P 5G 12A -16

It's hard to say much about T9 Galarneaux besides that this had to be a disappointing season. A draft pick by the Penguins traded to Calgary before the season started then suffered through a rough week one and never really recovered. He was hyped up by a few people after he dropped to number 5 and maybe there's something behind the scenes that occurred, but for a forward to have less than 1 point per game is certainly not up to expectations.

6. :team4: @HateCreation95
    Position: Left Defenseman
    NHL Record: 2-0-1
    2P 0G 2A +2
    AHL Record: 6-7-0
    12P 1G 11A -3

Many think the caliber of the picks declines quickly after the top 5 and maybe HateCreation is evidence of that. He started the season playing mostly in the CHL. While the Flyers front office claimed to think highly of him, he never really got a shot in the NHL/AHL though this may have had something to do behind the scenes. Traded to the Blues midseason, he played about average stats-wise on a Rampage team who missed the playoffs by a few points. Certainly, HateCreation has some talent, but he was unable to show much of it this season.

7. :team31: @ZacKrell
    Position: Left Wing
    NHL Record: 5-6-0
    24P 14G 7A -7
    AHL Record: 7-10-1
    29P 13G 16A -6

After a scorching hot season in the CHL, ZacKrell was drafted by the Ducks organization and debuted in the NHL week 1. Unfortunately, the Ducks struggled the first two weeks and so did ZacKrell leading to his send down to the AHL, partially to call up other personnel to try and jumpstart the Ducks lineup. If you could believe it, the San Diego Gulls were also struggling at the time and this had Zack going from one struggling team to another. A trade to the Oilers organization had Zack playing on yet another struggling team, the Bakersfield Condors. A little more time in the NHL as an ECU going 3-2 with the Oilers, but ZacKrell spent the majority of the season in the AHL. A perfect storm of teams in a downward spiral didn't seem to give ZacKrell a great chance; while Zack was the common denominator, I would think he will be given the chance to challenge for a spot in the NHL again, though a 2 million contract could be too large to overcome.

8. :team77: @JTavares l91l
    Position: Left Wing
    NHL Record: 9-8-1
    37P 15G 22A -3

JT started the season out in the AHL on a poor Milwaukee Admirals squad and his stats don't seem to suggest he did a great job convincing anyone he was ready for the NHL. Lo and behold, he's traded midseason to the Edmonton Oilers. He suffered against playoff teams going 3-5-1, but he performed well otherwise going 6-3-0. Close to 2 points per game over the last 6 weeks of the season is pretty good all things considering. Looking at all the information, I'd like to say this was a decent pick, but the team that drafted him never really got much out of him.

9. :team29: @LVP 63
    Position: Right Wing
    NHL Record: 4-6-0
    20P 9G 11A -7
    AHL Record: 12-2-1
    39P 14G 25A +15

LVP definitely had a rough start to the season going 0-3 on Calgary. A trade to Carolina didn't help things going 0-1 in his only game. Finally, he made his way to Anaheim and consequently beat his old team in the Hurricanes going 3-0 in week 4, then going 0-3 in week 5 versus all non-playoff teams. After this bad week, he was sent down to the AHL and the San Diego Gulls who ended up making an almost-miracle run towards the playoffs where LVP went 12-2-1. Unfortunately, the Gulls missed the playoffs, but it looks like it was a good opportunity to prove himself to the higher ups in the Ducks organization. At the very least, his value is higher than when he was sent down. However, the team that drafted him didn't gain much from the pick.

10. :team23: @Qwazic
    Position: Left Defense
    AHL Record: 1-0-0
    2P 0G 2A +5
    CHL Record: 4-3-0
    7P 0G 7A +7

This really looks like a wasted pick. Qwazic had some personal issues that really kept him from playing at all this season. He looked decent in his lone AHL game this season, and was good in the CHL but suffered from being a defensive-minded defenseman on a team that had trouble scoring.

Other Notable 1st Round Picks:

13. :team74: @PointsForStyle (RD)

Yes, he had an awful time ECUing for Carolina this season, but he had good offensive statistics and was 18-9-0 for the Charlotte Checkers in the AHL. One more season on his draft contract and he'll undoubtedly get a look to make the CAR roster or be used as a trade piece, but 2 million is a hefty price tag for this player.

15. :team4: @JerseyDevils 27 (LD)

2 wins against bottom feeder NHL teams doesn't say much, but he was 13-4-1 with 20 points on the San Diego Gulls, and his debut there coincided with a an upward trend in the Gulls play. Coincidence? Probably, but he was still pretty good.

17. :team4: @Ghetto Nuns (RD)

He looked good playing with @Nuge for the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, but struggled the rest of the way in the AHL. Though, he had some good performances with the President's Trophy winning Blackhawks as an ECU.

18. :team15: @I shaun l (RW)

Everyone was surprised he dropped to 18 and he was ok for the Sharks who had trouble scoring through the first few weeks. He was 10-4-1 but only had 20 points which is very low for a forward. After he was traded to the Blues he was eventually sent down, maybe per his request, and was an ok 5-3-0 with 14 points for the San Antonio Rampage.

20. :team74: @Allah In Chains (LW)

Not much was said about this left winger, but he's had a good season in Charlotte going 19-10 with 72 points. Might still not be enough to challenge for a spot on a 2 million contract, but enough to garner interest for when that contract is up.

22. :team391: @Arctic Blur (C)

He dropped all the way to 22, but is arguably one of the centers most ready to play in the NHL. Wins against CHI, COL, and SJS as an ECU definitely look good, and he also tore up the AHL with a 26-2-0 record and 109 points. (I did read some thread about how the line scrub hunts, didn't really change my opinion so far.)

23. :team14: @Farfadet92 (LD)

Another one of the defensive-minded defenseman that have been picked this draft. He had one game against the CGY top line and lost 2-1 which is interesting. His play in the AHL is at least satisfactory as he went 17-5-4. Another interesting stat, he had 111 takeaways and just 112 giveaways to match that.

31. :team4: @Milah and Ted (G)

OMG, a goalie in the first round. Milah has hit some rough patches during the season, and the real question has been if he was worth the 2 million price tag? That's debatable, but the Flyers were dead-set on drafting Milah. He performed pretty well through out the season, Racking up 27 wins and just shy of an 80% save percentage.

Other Notable Picks:

45. :team23: @PartyDrew (RW)

Not much else to say but look at the stats. Drew has gone 6-1-1 in the NHL with 19 points and 18-5-2 on a Springfield squad who struggled through most of the season. In addition, he was selected in the 2nd round so he is on a nice 1.25 million contract.

56. :team14: @Wesley Snip3zzz (RW)

Had to play some tough lineups as an ECU for the Capitals who missed the playoffs by a significant amount, but had a great season in the AHL for the Hershey Bears with 59 points and a 15-6-6 record.

59. :team17: @kjm007 (RD)

I actually saw him play as an ECU against a couple good teams and what I will say is that he was good in his own zone. Still needs to refine his game in other areas, but to be able to squeak out wins against some good lineups has to be a good thing. Furthermore, he's done well in Utica getting 16 wins and 20 points.

62. :team28: @Lamar1226 (LD)

24-3-0, 29 points, +32 for the Tucson Roadrunners. This looks like a great pick. I have to assume their AHL said they wanted this guy and it definitely paid off. He's on a cheap contract and could be a terrific asset going into next season.

68. :team74: @TheFunkyH (C)

Another 3rd round pick with a good record, Carolina drafted TheFunkyH and he has performed on the Atlantic winning Charlotte Checkers going 19-4-0, though maybe a low points per game considering that record. He also played a lot of RW and maybe that's because his faceoffs aren't particularly good at 43%.

71. :team76: @RSK Young Chief (C)

Traded 3 times and seemed to do well everywhere he went. Have to wonder if maybe there's an attitude problem here. His points per game wasn't spectacular, but a 56%+ is pretty great.

78. :team10: @monsterman74 (RD)

Good record for Grand Rapids at 17-7-1, just good stats all around really. Honestly just sick of seeing defenseman be positive or close to positive in the takeaway - giveaway stat so whatever, how is that even possible. Regardless, good contract for a guy who has performed well this season.

107. :team74: @Leroy Alexander (LD)

Another defenseman picked late with a stellar record and no surprise it's on a division leader in the Charlotte Checkers. 20-4-0 throughout the season and 24 points, but look at all those glorious giveaways; that's my kind of defenseman right there. Just a great depth pick by Carolina.

116. :team18: @xCFx l GATOR l (G)

Haven't had too many goalies on the list, but Gator got drafted ninth from the end and has played in the NHL all season as a back up to @Perrilyzer1 . I played against him once and was somewhat impressed and his record is nice at 18-8-2, though a 77.3% isn't great but he's got another season on his draft contract to improve.

Best Sleeper Pick:
    (i.e. more valuable than they were expected to be)

:team391: Winnipeg Jets with Arctic Blur

At pick 22 they got an NHL-ready center. Yeah, he's played only 4 games in the NHL, but from what I've seen he can definitely transition into the NHL and has been one of the AHLs best players this season.

:team18: Buffalo Sabres with CF Gator
    I mean Buffalo didn't make the playoffs, but they got a backup in the NHL who was able to win games at pick 116. That's a pretty good pick.

:team23: Florida Panthers with PartyDrew
    I know, I know, this is my team. But come on! Drew was one of Springfield's most consistent players and was 6-1-1 as an ECU. Also, due to some unforeseen circumstances, he is now a Panther just in time for the playoffs.

Who Benefited Most from the Draft:

:team11: Edmonton Oilers

Their 1st pick let them down a little, but not quite a bust in my eyes. Then, they hit it out of the park with their 2nd overall pick. Not only that, but they ended up acquiring a couple other guys drafted by other teams that they ended up getting the most out of. They had holes on their roster to begin the season, but I think they did the best job of using their draft assets to create some value.

Best Names that Were Drafted:

97. :team77: @CAT ON LUDES

This is your champion. Dont @ me.

44. :team4: @iBrownGenius
    This is @AnAngryBrownGuy on his second tag. Someone check the IPs please.

29. :team74: @Come Gun
    Not sure what to say about this one, it's gotta be intentional, right?

104. :team31: @PIZZA CHOKER
    Pretty sure this is the sibling of @PIZZA ROMO and man that is one heinous gamertag.

65. :team12: @XpendableMonkey
    Not sure in what circumstances a monkey becomes expendable.

107. :team74: @Leroy Alexander
    Pretty ambitious putting your real name as your gamertag.

17. :team4: @Ghetto Nuns
    I think this one is pretty self-explanatory. Good job.

Feel free to comment if you think someone did exceptionally well that I missed. Also, I may be doing a few more of these, so let me know if I should add something or expand on something. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 23
    • Winner Winner x 15
    No Streaming Account
  2. APsychicTaco

APsychicTaco Scrub Goalie Supreme

Ratings:
    +3,959 / 189 / -263
    • Like Like x 1
    APsychicTaco
  3. IM HEARTLESS323

IM HEARTLESS323 IM THE GREATEST EVER

Discord:
    IM HEARTLESS323#0904
    Ratings:
    +951 / 283 / -258
    :team11::team11::team11:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    im_heartless323
  4. Kbsmith37

Kbsmith37 KCS

Ratings:
    +1,210 / 25 / -43
    Now this is the kind of in depth writing i like to see. Takes a lot of time for this

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  5. kjm007

kjm007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I can't imagine how long this took, good to learn about my draft class ,nice job man

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  6. CTRAlN 15

CTRAlN 15 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +671 / 142 / -106
    Good read man, would love a S28 one

• Like Like x 2
    • Troll Troll x 1
    ctrain2002
  7. Farfadet92

Farfadet92 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +219 / 12 / -29
    Good read :)
    Cant wait for next season <3

• Like Like x 1
    farfadet92
  8. TheGreech

TheGreech Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +736 / 15 / -15
    classy stuff right here

• Like Like x 1
    greech11
  9. JerseyDevils 27

JerseyDevils 27 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    JerseyDevils 27#4349
    Ratings:
    +324 / 20 / -33
    Great follow up and research. Appreciate the effort put into this

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  10. SouPerSaiyan

SouPerSaiyan Well-Known Member

Discord:
    soupersaiyan#0
    Ratings:
    +560 / 35 / -60
    I DRAFTED MY BOY @CAT ON LUDES deff a sleeper pick, can and will have ahl success at the very least

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  11. Coach__Drew

Coach__Drew Mr. Fundamentals

Ratings:
    +448 / 80 / -133
    Goon always has the best content on LG. Good shit

• Like Like x 2
    selke1