Setting Preferences

Discussion in 'MLB 16: The Show' started by DeNMaN, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    21 innings :shock:

Gajeske85
  2. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    every single pitcher except for the starters used.... yah so it will probably be either pro or all-pro

No Streaming Account
  3. WilloMan

WilloMan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well you too just probly had a bad game or something....or suck :laugh:.

Basically anything but Pro.

No Streaming Account
  4. The Original MP

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    all-star is my favorite

legend is terrible... there are pretty much no HR's ( although i won the game on a 360 ft 'bomb' with Chipper ) ... we would accidently throw each other cock shots and he or I would crush them only to be caught at the wall...

on legend all the hitters only have WTP... warning track power... :(

No Streaming Account
  5. DeNMaN

DeNMaN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Or everyone you have played on legend don't know how to pitch.

I pretty much just kept throwing the same pitch over and over to the corners in the last 6 innings and just kept an exhausted reliever on the mound when I gave up the shot to Chipper that would of been at least a 420 foot shot on another difficulty.

Legend is out since when 2 people know how to pitch it lasts forever.
    All-Star can stay low scoring and HRs are hit off mostly mistakes by the Pitcher.
    Pro HR's are hit by getting the pitch location properly which a lot of time should just be hard singles or doubles.

At least that is how they differ from batting to me.

No Streaming Account
  6. WilloMan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think all the people i played online knew how to play very well. None gave up anything until throwing it down the middle were i hit it. Got some guys on base stole a base or 2 and scored on sacrifices or hits. I've actually never gone over 14 innings online. Again, it's different between everyone. Last few games on allstar also hit at scores around 3 - 7. I have a record of about 1 -3 on legend and only one went to 9+ innings. Today before i played Skater, I lost against a Yankee player in the 14th inning on Allstar and he ended up using most of his pitching staff because he was always substituting some of his players after the 9th. I still had about 5 pitchers left to sub and the rest of my starters. It's all how you play the game. The same scenario were you went 21 innings can apply to any game on any setting.

I wasnt trying to bash you or MP. It was just one of those games for both of you probly. Point is that Pro would just not seem right at all.

[HATE] Evil :bnyy: Evil:bnyy: Evil:bnyy:Evil :bnyy:Evil :bnyy: Evil:bnyy: [/HATE] LOL J/K...:x

No Streaming Account
  7. DeNMaN

DeNMaN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WillowMan catch me online and we will play a game of pro.

No Streaming Account
  8. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    How about I play one of you when you guys get done on pro????:chic:

Gajeske85
  9. The Original MP

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how bout you guys start playing all-star ??? :)

No Streaming Account
  10. burntCanunck

burntCanunck Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i voted other:

LEGEND
    true aim
    2 button

the fielding is much easier in this game than allstar baseball.

on legend you still get some hits and the scores are a little more baseball like, if you have a good game then the scores reflect.

allstar would be my second choice.
    either cursor, or true aim
    2 button.

you need the power vs contact choice,
    you have to decide on each swing whether you're going for the fences or just trying to reach base.

PRO is just lame and would be way to easy, scores and stats would be ridiculous...too many hits each game and runs probably as well.

No Streaming Account
  11. The Original MP

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol... legend is pretty bad... check out my game vs denman.... 21 innings... i crushed a ball with chipper jones and it only went 360 ft which is pretty weak

No Streaming Account
  12. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I disagree. Against a good player, you can have a very low scoring game on Pro.

DeNMaN and I played a game of Rookie last night for fun and it didn't get out of hand on that either (because we both know what we're doing).

I've played all 4 levels and here are my observations:

Lower skill levels =

-easier to make contact, results in less strike outs, harder to pitch because hitters can get wood on even the worst pitches in the dirt

-pitchers tire more quickly, although you end up throwing less pitches because the hitters can make contact with almost anything

-pitchers have a little less pinpoint control

-you pay more for mistake pitches as the hitter will get doubles if you try and hang one over the plate.

Higher skill levels =

-less fatigue from pitchers, they are effective longer in the game and into higher pitch counts

-better control from pitchers, less "missing" your spot and hanging curves over the plate.

-harder to make contact with the ball even if you guess the location well

-even if a pitcher throws a mistake pitch and you seemingly hammer it, the ball might not come off the bat for a gap hit like it would on a lower skill level

To summarize, the lower skill levels favor the hitters, the higher skill levels favor the pitchers. It's really that simple. Now, most of the skilled players are good enough even on the heavily hitting favored Rookie mode to get strikeouts and keep their opponents in check, but I think some "need" a higher skill level to get a more controlled game simply because they aren't that good at pitching and need the AI to help them out more. Honestly, Rookie and Pro are harder than AllStar and Legend. I can get 15 K's without even trying on AllStar and Legend, but it's much more difficult to retire your opponent on Rookie and Pro. I'd rather see 6-8 scores with 5-6 K's per team, rather than 2-1 extra inning games with 15+ K's per team. You tell me which is more realistic.

No Streaming Account
  13. The Original MP

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    pro is no realistic... paul pyrd gave up only 4 hits and somehow was tired after the end of the 4th... its not even fair for some teams if our season is set at the pro difficulty... my start should be able to atleast go 6 or 7 and throw 70-100 pitches unlike pro where i throw 55 pitches and my guy is out of juice... all-star is the best because it is the middle of the way too easy pro and way to hard to score legend...

No Streaming Account
  14. CanEHdian

CanEHdian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I voted all-star/2 button/true aim. I've played all-star and legend so far and would have to say all-star should be the way to go. All be it my games on legend were close, it's just too hard to hit any out of the park. All-star had a good mix of base hit's mixed in with some HR's, and strike out count wasn't too out of hand like on lengend.

Im tellin ya if we make it on pro by the 1/4 part of the season when everyone has the hang of the game the scores are gonna get out of hand in a hurry. Im gonna try some pro games tonight just to see how it is but I know eventually those games will be get in upwards or 20 runs easily.

No Streaming Account
  15. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just played the Yankees online on AllStar and had 20 K's with Morris, a complete game shutout.

MP - not every starting pitcher goes 6-7 innings in real life. Many of them barely make it 4-5 innings before the manager has to goto middle relief.

If every game has the SP going 7 innings, Setup 8th inning, closer 9th inning, this league would be a real snoozer.

Maybe the reason why you are tiring so quickly is due to the fact that you are probably using max effort on every single pitch and trying for a strikeout every time. Sometimes, you can give the weaker hitters something to hit, let your defense do some work, and get through a hitter with only 1-2 pitches thrown.

No Streaming Account
  16. WilloMan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WTH i thought baseball was suppose to go around the pitcher. Yes baseball today favors the batters but at the end the pitchers controll everything. All your "Higher SKills Level" evalution dont make any sense. I have good controll of my pitch for at best the first 5 innings. I never always hit my spots on anything. I wish that was the case but not it's not. I can hit homers when people throw it down the middle. If i dont get a homer i get a hit to to the gap.

You wanna always get a homer just because it's coming down the middle? Strike outs happen whether you like it or not. On pro, Allstar or Legend people can accumulate 8+ strike outs easily. I just dont see what you are seing. I actually find hinting way to easy on pro and allstar sometimes.

I will try to get in some more Pro games in today, but it sounds ass backwards that the 2 easier settings give a better challenge then the 2 hardest settings. You tell me which one makes more sense.

No Streaming Account
  17. IndigoVDub

IndigoVDub Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I read it as saying that Allstar and Legend make it way too easy to be a good pitcher. Which makes perfect sense.

No Streaming Account
  18. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For two skilled players that know how to pitch, Rookie and Pro are actually more of a challenge (from a pitching perspective, because it's easier to hit stuff out of the zone).

I don't expect every waist high fastball that I time well to go over the fence, but I expect a solidly hit ball if I'm looking for it down the middle and time it well. On Legend, you don't get that each time, which is a problem.

Bottom line is that Pro favors the hitter, AllStar favors the pitcher. You can get good games on both, depending on who you're playing with of course and what starting pitchers you're using.

What I'm trying to look at is not what's just best for me or anyone else that might be very good at the game, but what is best for the league as a whole. On AllStar, some of our lesser skilled owners might get very frustrated and not want to continue because they keep fanning after everything. On Pro, they might get rocked here and there, but I think learning how to pitch effectively in this game has a shorter learning curve than how to hit well so that we might want to favor a setup to allow for easier hitting and harder pitching.

Just like in our hockey league, one of the reasons that we use Pro difficulty instead of AllStar is that it's much easier to score on Pro. Two skilled players will probably have a very close game of hockey on either skill level, but put a noob on AllStar and they'll get trashed and probably get shutout in the meantime.

We just don't want that to happen in the baseball league either, especially since baseball has a wider variety of talent levels when it comes to teams (in the hockey league, you can be really good with a bad bad team). In the baseball league, if we expect someone to take the DRays, Tigers, Brewers, etc... for a complete season, at least give them half a chance at hitting the ball by using Pro mode. Yeah, their pitchers will get hit around more often on Pro as well, but that was going to happen on any difficulty level.

No Streaming Account
  19. Shush

Shush Renegade Admin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with XBJ. I am a complete noob as I have never played any Baseball video game before. I am having a hard enough time trying to hit on pro. My pitching is getting pretty good though. I wouldn't mind a low batting average if my arms were getting it done on the hill.

Of course I say this without having tried All-Star or Legend yet.

No Streaming Account
  20. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Shush - keep in mind that the skill levels and settings that you play with offline feel completely different when you go online. Offline, the difficulty level has an effect on the actual ratings of the players, whereas online there's no CPU that you're playing against so I'm not sure that the ratings are adjusted anyway.

I'd recommend that everyone play 2 games on each skill level online (even Rookie and Legend, so you can see the variations of each of the 4 skill levels as you play them online). Play one game with the ace starters, the other game with the #5 starters. If you can find someone, try and play each skill level (and the different starters) with the same players, same teams... so the only thing changing is the skill level and starting pitcher, not the teams or person that you're playing.

No Streaming Account