Shot shaping

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Golf Tour' started by AWillTheTP, Apr 5, 2015.

1. AWillTheTP

AWillTheTP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Do you use shot shaping? If so, on a regular basis or just for shots that actually call for it (ie: going around a tree)? What's your strategy for it?

No Streaming Account
  2. blueorfe

blueorfe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I use shot shaping on 80% of my shots I would say. Depending on hole position, wind direction and strength.

I regularly play a fade or a draw on a chip shot, when I think the break is so severe on the green that the chip might get away from me. The same with pitches and flops.
    I nearly always counteract the wind with a draw or a fade on approach shots, unless that I think the wind is going to help me to feed the ball in towards the pin.

I tend to use shot shaping on almost every tee shot, to either get to the correct side of the fairway for my approach or get round a corner. Or I will fight the wind so that the fairway becomes a larger landing area and there is more room for error as you will be hitting a straighter ball this way.

The cons are that the more you put on, the smaller the hitting area becomes. So if I am not hitting the ball very well that day, I might hit more shots utilizing the wind rather than fighting it, so I don't end up shanking it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    No Streaming Account
  3. AWillTheTP

AWillTheTP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You find there's an advantage over just aiming where you want it to go or aiming to counter the wind?

I dunno if it's because I can't shape a shot in real life or what, but I just can't wrap my head around the advantage of using them in game but I see them a lot on the ghost balls (mostly yours, ha).

No Streaming Account
  4. blueorfe

blueorfe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    For me I would say that it is an advantage because I have got used to playing that way. I watch other people play and they just use the wind instead of fighting it and they play just as well like that.
    I absolutely believe that counteracting it on tee shots widens the fairway considerably as you won't be landing on it at as much of an angle angle, increasing the chances of rolling off it.
    It all comes down to personal preference really and what is comfortable to you.

No Streaming Account
  5. nevadaballin

nevadaballin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Rarely do i not use shot shaping. Just about every shot I'm doing something. Usually to counter the wind but also to approach pins tucked behind hazzards, as well as getting around fairway obstacles.

No Streaming Account
  6. chrashbird

chrashbird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    The only time I shape a shot is if theres something in the way. Played long enough to know how much the ball should move in what wind speed. The only course I've ever played where shot shaping was required on most holes was Scarpacci Narrows as you could cut off a chunk of yardage on most holes shaping around trees at doglegs.

No Streaming Account
  7. JmOnEy2436

JmOnEy2436 Goalie Consultant

Ratings:
    +929 / 9 / -14
    Why are you guys so nice to each other! Its nothing like the other lg sports!

TheCreasePolice