Special Teams Efficiency or (STE)

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL)' started by McCann l19l, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Nex l26l

Nex l26l I didn't finish high school

Ratings:
    +809 / 37 / -51
    What's up peeps? It's Crosby or Im a 2nd Tag or McCann l19l or Jordan.

After my grilled cheese video went viral with nearly 35 views, I have decided to stop rolling around in my YouTube cash and make another post in the fourms. This thread won't be as delicious as my grilled cheese video but I can assure you that they both have the same amount of calories.

This is a simple 'advanced' stat (really easy to calculate but pretty useful) - it allows us to view which teams are doing well when the play shifts from 5v5 to an advantage or disadvantage.

*To calculate STE all you have to do is add a team's PP% and it's PK% which should, on average, come out to 100% - if a team is above 100, their special teams are above average and obviouly anyone below 100 is below average*

I did this back in June for the summer season and I figured that I would bring it back inspired by @ThatZachGuy mentioning how important special teams are in his last write-up. (Go check that out btw it is a great read just like it is every week) - This time, instead of listing a couple of teams and how bad/well they did, I made a nifty little chart in Public Tableau to help you guys visualize what is going on.

In June, @Schizostone mentioned that this could be a flawed stat due to the fact that some teams may take or draw more penalties than others which would dictate percentages and contort the data. While taking more penalties does effect your percentage, I find the difference is very marginal. - If you go surfing while there are hungry sharks in the area, you have a higher chance of getting your arms chewed off - same applies here.

The only way to truly practice safe "Penalty Killing" is by not "taking penalties" at all - to anyone that doesn't understand that joke, I'll explain it to you when you get older.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This picture that I will show you does not contain the STE Total% but it has both the PK and PP numbers so that you can get a general idea of what a teams total number is.

I hope you like it, if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer.

I always say I'll do more of these but I never follow through. Commitment is hard.

Screenshot (5).png

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  2. TripAcez

TripAcez Aye Stop De Puck

Discord:
    TripAcez#0388
    Ratings:
    +93 / 2 / -10
    Cudaaaa

• Like Like x 1