ESports The Return... 15-09-2017

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by LG-McDonald, Sep 12, 2017.

1. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    This is for the ESHL... a competitive club league, not LGNHL

eashlgoalie
  2. toology87

toology87 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    toology87#0
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -1
    Ah! ok.. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    toology87
  3. jewbawkka

jewbawkka Am Le bad

Discord:
    Jewbawkka#0814
    Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -4
    Kinda shitty if you aren't in the invite division if I'm reading this correctly you lose 43% of you prize pool in the main and 63% in the open.

imjewbawkka
  4. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,040 / 113 / -852
    something to work towards

LeagueGamingOfficial
  5. jewbawkka

jewbawkka Am Le bad

Discord:
    Jewbawkka#0814
    Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -4
    While I don't disagree I feel like you might run into an issue in that bottom division potentially only playing for 35(factoring a full forfeit fee lost)

imjewbawkka
  6. Choco Brown6890

Choco Brown6890 A little Chocolate?

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Looks very solid for a foundation... LG should definitely invest in advertising across streaming Channels and looking to poach players from other leagues.

Also maybe an elite tier level eventually where the buy in is higher so the commitment is better. Cause I don't really respect a $25 dollar buy in enough to try to improve if you find yourself behind early.

also a Relationship with EA would go a long way to getting player to commit as well.

No Streaming Account
  7. jay6219

jay6219 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -2
    HOW TO BYPASS THE 7% PAYOUT FEE

Some people obviously feel that 23% off the top of the prize pool is way too much, and I agree. That is why I think we should have the option of receiving prize money in the form of amazon gift cards, which are as good as cash as far as I'm concerned. Now, you CANNOT directly use paypal to buy giftcards on amazon but you can purchase them through gyft.com in increments of $5 without being charged any additional fees. You will have to round to the nearest 5 and some poor soul might miss out on $2, but were saving much more in the long run. That also means all payouts of this type can be done by email (digital gift card code) which makes life easier for everybody. A 16% organization fee is fair enough, right? For all the degenerates who need dat cash to put gas in their car or pay their rent, let them take the extra 7% hit. I'm aware that the site can probably not pay for their operating costs with amazon gift cards so some additional cash may have to be deducted from the prize pool to cover the processing fees on the 9% withdrawal.

Also, can you guys please provide some additional documentation or references to show that you are truly paying 7% transfer fees each way. From what i was able to gather, international transactions are charged 3.4% one-way; and in some cases, a currency exchange fee can be charged on top of that to total roughly 7%. However, domestic transactions are only charged 2.9% each way. So only about half of these transactions should be paying a 7% fee. No merchant in their right mind would use paypal if they lost 7% on every sale. I do not have a great deal of personal experience using paypal in this way so please correct me if I'm wrong and show how you arrived at 14%.

I know that this is not a perfect solution, but it is easy enough and we get to cut our paypal fees in half. This will not fly unless we get the majority of participants to agree to this, but I can't imagine who would vote against competing for more of our own money. In my opinion, an extra 7% to the prize pool may be what we need if we want to see anywhere near 45 teams on each console.

jay6219
  8. Trobs

Trobs Prime Example

Ratings:
    +1,074 / 29 / -28
    HA sundays and thursdays

No Streaming Account
  9. Hannah7Banana22

Hannah7Banana22 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,417 / 191 / -360
    @Tris10

Once again why is $$$ taken from teams in lower divisions to fund the prize pool of the upper tier?

Keep the prize pools separate. If the elite teams want to win more money, then bet more. Don't take it from all the other teams and tell them winning back their own money is "something to work towards"

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  10. Girgss

Girgss CHEL

Discord:
    girgs#4300
    Ratings:
    +2,245 / 57 / -103
    I'm not.

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  11. Don Miguel 33

Don Miguel 33 NHL Series is Bad

Ratings:
    +132 / 15 / -14
    It's a good start...Seems silly to not have 3rd, 5th, 7th playoff series or even a one game showdown to award those standings points, considering those points count for your end of the year tournament qualification. I mean, are we running out of virtual ice-times to book for those not to be played? Seems like you're going 9 yeards here, but not the extra one to have everything make sense.

Structure Questions:

Initial placement based on a panel's subjective opinion? In one month, we're going to know the top 12 teams at NHL 18? Seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Season schedule seems very compact. ESHL would run much more efficiently with many small tournaments as Taco suggested, rather than this static 22 game season imo.

Grand Finale. Is it straight bracket play? I sure hope not. What a boring way that would be to end a 9-month long season. I see a UEFA CL structure to be the best, at least for the GF tournament.

Why are the relagation series lengths only 5 games? Again, virtual ice-times at a premium or what?

Also, I don't think teams in the invite division that finish 11th-12th deserve any more points than the champion main division team. Especially in the first season when divisions might be decided by an "expert" panel. I actually would like to see the promotion/relagation tournament decide how the points are rewarded for the three teams playing in it. Hopefully I will make this make sense with the diagram below. And we need 3rd, 5th, 7th place games. It just make no sense not too. These are consolation games, they don't need to be streamed, they can be a 1 game, but just something to earn your extra point is needed. 1 point will go a long way with bubble teams I'm guessing. I see the points going like this:

Invite:

1st - 26
    2nd - 25
    3rd - 24
    4th - 23
    5th - 22
    6th - 21
    7th - 20
    8th - 19
    9th - 18
    10th - 17
    11th - With a series win: 15 With a series loss: 14
    12th - With two series wins (won the relagation torunament): 15 Win/Loss: 14 1st round loss: 13

Main:

1st - 16
    2nd - With two series wins (won the relagation tournament): 15 Win/Loss: 14 1st round loss: 13
    3rd - 12
    4th - 11
    5th - 10
    6th - 9
    7th - With a series win: 7 Loss: 6
    8th - With two series wins (won the relagation tournament): 7 Win/Loss: 6 1st round loss: 5

Open (Only championship teams receive points):

1st - 8
    2nd - With two series wins (won the relagation tournament): 7 Win/Loss: 6 1st round loss: 5

There's my two cents that will be ignored. Thanks for the read :)

No Streaming Account
  12. CAPTAIN TURTL3

CAPTAIN TURTL3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +144 / 8 / -10
    So that elite teams don't have as much incentive to sand bag and win the main bracket. In theory you could start in main, win the main bracket, move up to invite, intentionally get relegated, win the main bracket again and still have enough points to make the top 16. for a good Invite team this would be way easier and more profitable than trying to compete in invite against the elite teams. Having a lower payout for the main division reduces the incentive for teams to do this.

captain_turtl31
  13. CAPTAIN TURTL3

Ratings:
    +144 / 8 / -10
    I don't see a problem with not having the 3rd/5th/7th... showdown. you will be placed by your seed from the regular season which is fair. there may not be a shortage of virtual ice times, but there may be a shortage of peoples personal time as well as LG time. The more teams we can get involved in this the better.

I agree that ESHL should be more smaller tournaments, possibly bi-weekly. I'd structure it a lot like the PGA tour. I'd use double knock out brackets. Each team would end up with a handicap based off of their previous tournament performance which would determine their seeding for each tournament.

We could run roughly 15 tournaments from mid October till the end of April with the Championship tournament in the middle of May. To have a chance at the final tournament you'd have to play in 10/15 tournaments giving teams a flexible schedule. If you had some strong finishes you could afford to start in fewer tournaments. The effect that your finish in a certain tournament had on your handicap would be directly correlated to the strength and depth of the field.

I think this type of format would help more teams get involved.

captain_turtl31
  14. Don Miguel 33

Ratings:
    +132 / 15 / -14
    Well, I don't see why a one game showdown can't be used. We're trying to make this an e-sport, yet we won't play to determine finishes? We're just going to say "hey, they were higher, better luck next time". Tell that to the team that misses out on GF due to this oversight. Because it's setup for a situation like this to happen, you know it will, and I'm just not okay with telling people that they missed qualification due to a few points or possibly one, that they had no chance of earning. What are we going to do fo rthe first tournament? You get an extra point because of subjective opinions one month after the game has been released? Seems rather dumb to me.

No Streaming Account
  15. CAPTAIN TURTL3

Ratings:
    +144 / 8 / -10
    I don't think you understand. This is after the playoffs have been completed. So the teams went through a whole season to determine their seeding. A whole season full of play is more than enough to determine seeding. They would have all season to work to get a higher seeding.

captain_turtl31
  16. Don Miguel 33

Ratings:
    +132 / 15 / -14
    Ahhh yes, I get it now. So it's more of a tiebreaker if you will, for the 4 teams eliminated in the QF. I gotcha. That makes it better.

No Streaming Account
  17. CAPTAIN TURTL3

Ratings:
    +144 / 8 / -10
    I mean ideally there would be a consolation game, but
    [​IMG]

captain_turtl31
  18. kid zxro

kid zxro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 9 / -6
    I play versus for money all the time. If 6s is as bad as VS is than I'm afraid that this is not going to work. This game is frustratingly bad. Gamechangers a bunch of yes men who are afraid to give criticism? Shocks me how this game becomes worse and worse. Cant fix what needs to be fixed and break things that were not broken the previous year. Feel bad for the guys who run this ship because EA is steering it into the ground. People arent gonna want to put money on this shit unfortunately.

• Winner Winner x 2
    No Streaming Account