The Tales of an Undrafted NHLer

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by NJExit13, Jul 5, 2016.

1. GhostxBearx

GhostxBearx Well-Known Member

Discord:
    ghostbear1805#0
    Ratings:
    +592 / 137 / -217
    This article was inspired by the Players Tribune. The following content is 95% fiction. I struggled with bullying and the death of my parent when i was younger; thus, that is where the inspiration came from. I hope you guys enjoy.

When I was young my parents used to tell me all the time that everybody gets a fair shot in this world, it just depends if you’re willing to work harder than the others for your goal. My goal was to play professional basketball (lol), but graduating High School at 6’1 178lbs, that goal became dreams.

In the early stages of my childhood, my little brothers and I would all play knee hockey in the garage. I would act like Wayne Gretzky and put the ball between their legs then shoot and score! The crowd would go wild for my game 7 OT winner to bring the Oilers the Stanley Cup! When it’s cold 8 months out of the year, knee and pond hockey were the only activities around. I had a close friend, Eric, whose Dad had a giant pond in the back of his house. We used to get a truckload full of kids in the neighborhood and head to the pond. My goal was always to get the puck in the back of the net, anyway I could. (Even if that meant passing the puck L ) At the pond is where all of my memories were made.

My dad used to drive 2 hours for me to play for a selects team, I try not to remember those dreadful car rides down the TransCan. I played with some special players growing up, but never got to become good friends with them because I lived so far away. As I got older my skills on the ice really started to develop, but my skills off ice didn’t develop well.

The bullying started when I got to grade 6. My parents named me Hannah for some odd reason, which to this day I still don’t know. It sure was difficult being a Blonde hair, blue eyed, burly shouldered boy named Hannah Montana. There was a really pretty girl 2 grades above me then, man I wanted to take her out a nice date too. There was only one problem…her name was Hannah also.

It didn’t help that my friends were going through crazy growth spurts and I was just waiting around to get my turn. Girls were getting hotter and I was getting lankier. My growth spurt when I was in grade 10. I continued to play travel and get crushed by kids about a foot taller than me. I knew the suffering would end one day.

Then on November 13th, 2010, a tragic accident struck my family.

My parents were on their way home from the grocery store and I was in charge of my 3 little brothers. A semi-truck had fallen on them and killed them instantly.

I had 3 police officers knock on my door 4 hours later and asked me to sit down. I started screaming and crying instantly. I couldn’t even breathe without holding on somebody or something. I just wanted to rewind the day, think of all the things I could have possibly done to stop this. I haven’t been the same person since that day. 1 week later we packed our bags and what was left of our family moved to Southern Ohio.

Southern Ohio? What was in Southern Ohio? Certainly not pond hockey and Oilers hockey. I attended a new high school starting December 2010, Springboro High, home of the panthers. I was informed that they were a top ranked hockey program in Ohio.

It was Day 1 of tryouts and I just assumed I would skate circles around these Southern Ohio scrubs, but I was indeed wrong. I barely made the team according to the team. During that school year I struggled with smoking pot, drinking and partying, suicide and self-worth. It was a rough year because my dad’s mom was a rugged person. She was not the quiet and comforting type like my father. I felt like I had nobody to talk to.

I met my current fiancé, Michelle, in High School about 5 months after my brothers and I moved to Springboro. She went to the rival High School about 3 miles away. I met her through one of the players on my hockey team. She was a God-send. She saved me from my worst self. My junior and senior year I lead the team in assists and points. I also started training with a player on the Columbus Blue Jackets. He heard my story when he come to speak at my high school about hockey, growing up short, and overcoming his dreams. By the time I was ready to graduate, I evened out at 6’1, 178lbs.

Cam convinced me to stay in Ohio for college so we could continue to train together. I attended OSU and did very well for myself. I played all 4 years and even though we didn’t win a National Championship, we got very close. I graduated with the highest honors and a degree in Sports Medicine. I decided it was time to enter the NHL Draft. If I went undrafted then I would just go to medical school and move on from hockey.

I thought I did fairly well at the Combine, I was going against players like Mr. @GonzoArmstrong and Mr. Bubbles (@LaPlante94 ); thus, I knew it would be a deep draft and getting selected would be tough. I was projected to go in the high 70s early 80s, which was fine with me. I have always been the grinder type, someone who is determined to make my dreams a reality.

Draft Day came and went in what seemed like 30 seconds. Pick after pick and my name wasn’t called. It was a depressing day, right up there with the day I lost my parents.

In the end, I wasn’t selected. I shed a couple of tears knowing my dreams that I worked so hard for, were coming to an abrupt end. There was a 2-week period where an AHL team or CHL team could sign me, but no offers. About 20 days later I was applying to go to Med School in Columbus, when I got a text message. A 4th line forward for the Stockton Heat tore his ACL so they need another bench player. They offered me a contract for 500k to sign for 1 season. I thought that even if this different work out, it was only 1 year off from Med School.

I arrived in Calgary to sign my contract and I thought to myself, I never imagined playing in the farm system for the rival of the Oilers, but I guess this business. Calgary was a gorgeous city, I had visited there for flames games before, but I was ready to start my new life in California.

Training Camp came and went quick. My roommate was a guy from Russia, it was my job to show him around. @Dermbo . We had a blast and I learned a few new words. Privet! I put out my best effort before the season started and earned a roster spot on the 3rd line. I was going to play with my Russian roommate and @Flyersap . I was really excited. My fiance and I were expecting a child at the time too, so this was a very hectic season of our lives. The day the season started is when my son was due to arrive. I was getting on a flight to Ohio to see Michelle and her family, when I got a phone call from Calgary’s owner @XSBUCKS . He asked how quickly I could fly to CGY and since I was already at the airport my answer was fast! I flew to CGY that afternoon and suited up for my first real NHL game on October 7th, 2015. It was electrifying.

I ended of scoring my first goal that night against the Los Angeles Kings. I got to play with 1st liners @Rehanek and @Scoring-Aces.

About 4 days later I was called up to Calgary full time. It was a dream come true. Buck’s said that I might not be the best skill wise, but he had a gut feeling about me. I played with Calgary for about 2 months.

I got a call from my agent and said I was going home. I was very confused? He informed me that I had been traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets in a blockbuster deal.

I facetimed with Michelle, Timothy (my son) and her family. I was elated about returning to Ohio and seeing my family. I arrived in Columbus about 5 days later and I finally got to put on that amazing jersey. I got to play on a line this past season with Saad (@Schwartz_x9 ) and Brandon Dubinsky (@Alexdrum100 ). This season has turned out to be amazing. I’ve got to play with an up and coming superstar Boone (@Mattson1980) and I’ve received great advice and a new mentor in Jack Johnson @kentontrace

Even though it’s been a bumpy ride with the management and we haven’t always seen eye to eye, I’ve always enjoyed my time in Columbus. I would do anything for this team and its fans. I ended up leading Columbus in points this season and a had a successful rookie season. I want to congratulate my fellow Rook’s Eichel (@OhCanada27) and Sheary (@x Loops 19 x)

All I have to say now is… LETS GO BLUE JACKETS! #BecauseItsTheCup.

• Dumb x 11
    • Like x 9
    • Creative x 7
    • Get Good x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    GhostBearTTV
  2. MPelley25

MPelley25 Your mom's favorite goaltender

Ratings:
    +583 / 83 / -80
    Sabres in 4

• Like Like x 10
    • Troll Troll x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    supervezina
  3. CaptainCheese

CaptainCheese LD/RD

Ratings:
    +35 / 4 / -13
    TLDR?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    CaptainCheese
  4. Rehanek

Rehanek EASHL Historian

Ratings:
    +1,705 / 229 / -262
    I stopped reading after the first line.

• Like x 8
    • Winner x 3
    • Troll x 1
    • Get Good x 1
    • Funny x 1
    RehanekYT
  5. Konzy--

Konzy-- 1 Aye

Discord:
    Konzy#4934
    Ratings:
    +899 / 28 / -44
    hm. This was going in the right direction, then you met Michelle.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    konzzzy
  6. GoHawks496

GoHawks496 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +952 / 91 / -129
    Yup

• Dumb Dumb x 1
    GoHawks496
  7. Mesmerize-_-

Mesmerize-_- Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Mesmercack#9743
    Ratings:
    +263 / 7 / -15
    You have way to much time on ur hands, the fuck did i just read.

• Dumb x 4
    • Troll x 1
    • Get Good x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Old x 1
    XMesmerizeX
  8. Anttzy-

Anttzy- Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Chief#9925
    Ratings:
    +3,750 / 244 / -506
    Let's all remember:

A moment ago - niner80rice : Gost/your teammates hate you because you are the most negative person on our team. you are loud and obnoxious. you are not worthy of anyone's respect. i have never been negative with anyone on our team but you because all you do is throw people under the boss. Get a fucking life. You are scum\

You may like Columbus but they don't like you. Oh, and what the fuck did I just read?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    • Like x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • Troll x 1
    • Get Good x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    zChieef
  9. WJP089

WJP089 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,464 / 60 / -178
    not bad. good read!

• Like Like x 2
    No Streaming Account
  10. xBudz87

xBudz87 Elite Shitter!

Discord:
    xBudz87#6554
    Ratings:
    +418 / 156 / -155
    hmmmm read this or eat booty ????

eat booty am i right !

• Old Old x 3
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Budz_780
  11. JAAMx93x

JAAMx93x Well-Known Member

Discord:
    jmorrow474 Aka AhL_Allstar-3#8394
    Ratings:
    +421 / 5 / -16
    Why couldn't I take my eyes off this post....I feel like the is Chris Hansons doing

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    ahl_allstar_3
  12. Primetimme

Primetimme - Nick.

Discord:
    primetimme#0
    Ratings:
    +3,684 / 41 / -169
    This thread fucking blows worse than that shitty rehanek thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    Primetimme1
  13. canuckftc12W

canuckftc12W Well-Known Member

Discord:
    canuckftc12W#5025
    Ratings:
    +605 / 29 / -68
    This thread was pretty cool until i realized this was about your LG career and not a real life hockey story. Still was pretty interesting to read

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    Itsnucktime
  14. JERZ Network

JERZ Network Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,103 / 48 / -68
    Jesus Christ. This was on a level of stupidity equal to that father proclaiming his other son would take his dead brother's place on the team.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    JERZNetwork
  15. Holy_Coley

Holy_Coley Drop In Legend

Ratings:
    +335 / 14 / -19
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  16. Tcx7

Tcx7 Pokemon Master

Discord:
    Rico#2183
    Ratings:
    +2,128 / 39 / -103
    No Rico = no buys

• Like Like x 1
    MyNameIsRicoAndILikeYou
  17. Wasteaway44

Wasteaway44 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    dannoo#0
    Ratings:
    +208 / 35 / -120
    This was fucking stupid

• Troll Troll x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    wasteaway1
  18. Wasteaway44

Wasteaway44 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    dannoo#0
    Ratings:
    +208 / 35 / -120
    You can rate me a troll but its still true

• Troll Troll x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    wasteaway1
  19. oSUPAHSTARo

oSUPAHSTARo Washed

Ratings:
    +96 / 2 / -6
    This is so confusing to read if you've been drinking. I have no idea which parts are true and which parts are false.

No Streaming Account
  20. T Hopkins 40

T Hopkins 40 Always Celly Hard

Ratings:
    +729 / 76 / -63
    this post gave me aids

• Like Like x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    hopkinsxx