Top 10 Overpriced Bids - Midseason Review

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by Spray_and_pray_, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Spray_and_pray_

Spray_and_pray_ Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Spray&Pray#1055
    Ratings:
    +536 / 35 / -62
    (Note: Original article can be found here)

Top 10 Overpriced Bids - Midseason Review

It’s roughly halfway through the season. Figured it was a good time to catch up on some of the largest contracts in the league. As I’m writing this on a Monday, some people have played games last night, so they have more games played than others. Oh well.

Curi0sity, LD, $9.75M
    Carolina Hurricanes

Key Notes from original Review: “...he hasn’t put together a legit first-pairing season in LG since season 6, which is a lifetime ago in this game. He hasn’t put together a shutdown season in VG in over a year, which...is concerning.”

Contract Size: 1st out of 86
    Record: 56 out of 86 (4-7-1)
    +/-: 63 out of 86 (-5)

Midseason Review: After losing their original GM, Carolina opted to give SoccaPlaya the GM tag, negating his albatross of a salary. But that doesn’t change that this was a huge overpay of a contract. Spending nearly one-third of your cap on a player putting up these kind of numbers is what submarines a team into the bottom of the league.

Original Ranking: 10th
    New Ranking:4th

Rankings Change: Being able to knock his salary down to $0 really helps this contract out. Still, Carolina now has a GM that is performing slightly below average compared to LD peers. If he wasn’t GM, maybe they would have been able to trade his contract (doubtful). Either way, he was paid as the top LD in the league, and he certainly isn’t producing to that standard.

HazeeHype, RW, $5M
    Ottawa Senators

Key Notes from original Review: “He’s never cracked 65 point - and more importantly, hasn’t cracked 54 points since season 6 - and hasn’t topped 16 wins since season 5. So, if you’re paying him like a first-liner, but he isn’t scoring points or getting wins, how is he worth $3million more than comparable wings?”

Contract Size: 7th out of 83
    Record: 57 out of 83 (4-6-2)
    +/-: 63 out of 83 (-9)

Midseason Review: Hazee is listed as a C, but has played roughly half of his games at RW. As it was his original designation, that’s what we’re comparing his contract group to. He’s the 7th highest paid RW in the game, yet isn’t ranked higher than 56th out of 83 (?!) in any category.

Original Ranking: 9th
    New Ranking: 5th

Rankings Change: Can you say “washed”? Hazee being able to play two positions - C and RW - helps his cause. Hazee playing two positions poorly hurts his cause. His bloated contract has been shipped around the league more than Polska’s mother. He’s been on 4 teams already this season - Ottawa, NYI, Vancouver, MTL. Its a musical chairs of bad teams trying to unload a terrible contract to other bad teams that will try anything to make a change. Hazee has produced as an average to below average second liner for 5 seasons, despite oftentimes being lined up next to first line talent. Hey management? If you choose to spend more than a few million on him next season, you have 5+ seasons of history to show you it’s a terrible waste of money. Buyer beware.

GoalieGods, C, $5M
    Tampa Bay Lightning

Review: This was a joke the first time. GG is the man. He just got player of the week last week. If you didn’t know this was a joke last time, you’re a fucking dummy.

Original Ranking: 8th
    New Ranking: 8th

ChyzNasty, RW, $9.5M
    New York Islanders

Key Notes from original Review: “If you need a LW and Vancouver comes calling halfway through the season offering Chyz because he’s had a slow first 4 weeks, are you putting 30% of your cap on this bloated contract? Are you even able to fit him onto your roster? At his cost, you’re expecting him to carry your first, rip off 22+ wins, and be able to compete as the best player on your game 7 lineup.”

Contract Size: 3rd out of 95
    Record: 80 out of 95 (3-5-4)
    +/-: 47 out of 95 (+2)

Midseason Review: Chyz was originally listed as a LW, but has only played games at C and RW. Because of this, he’ll be compared to other C. He’s had...well, you can’t call it anything but a bad season thus far. 3rd highest contract for a C, bottom half of the league in all meaningful stats.

Original Ranking: 7th
    New Ranking: 3rd

Rankings Change: Couldn’t we see this coming? Chyz hasn’t produced like a top line player since season 3. Still, he can play just about anywhere on the line, and it isn’t like he’s had a ton of talent lined up around him to help drive up his win total. In fact, with a little more talent, those four OT losses could have gone the other way, and his numbers wouldn’t look so bad. I mean, they wouldn’t look “3rd highest center salary” good, but they’d be serviceable. Of course, serviceable isn’t what you’re looking for from a nearly $10m a year player. Vancouver was luckily able to ship off this contract before any other teams caught on. While I think Chyz is still a first line C, I think he’s probably paid twice as much as he should be. Good player, still a huge overpay.

TMills61_, RW, $9M
    Montreal Canadiens

Key Notes from original Review: “Lets be very clear: for $9M, you’re signing him for his VG performance, not his LG performance.”

Contract Size: 2nd out of 83
    Record: 36 out of 83 (6-5-1)
    +/-: 31 out of 83 (+3)

Midseason Review:Second highest RW contract in the league, but comparable to the rest of the people on this list, at least hes performing in the top 30 of all RW’s (which is, technically, first line production).

Original Ranking: 6th
    New Ranking: 6th

Rankings Change: TMills is not worth a $9m cap hit. Its also not his fault he was bid up to $9m. Nevertheless, here we are. He’s already been traded to MTL - who seem to be in “Absorb overpriced contracts” mode - to form the most overpaid $14million dollar pairing in the league with HazeeHype. Still, He’s at least produced amongst the top third of RWs, so not all is lost on the season. A few good weeks could make this contract go from “terrible overpay” to “slight overpay”. We’ll see where the season takes us.

DankChank, C, $8.25M
    Carolina Hurricanes

Key Notes from original Review: “There’s also not a whole lot in his resume that screams “Top line Center”. He played in the first few seasons of LG and was a mid-60’s point player. I’d expect he has a significantly harder time scoring that high now, only he’ll be putting up 50 points on a $8.25m contract.”

Contract Size: 6th out of 96
    Record: N/A (0-4-1)
    +/-: N/A (-14)

Midseason Review:6th Highest paid C in the game. Played 5 games - lost them all - and then was banned after 5 no-shows (AKA, quitting).

Original Ranking: 5th
    New Ranking: 1st

Rankings Change: RIP. Had 3 mediocre seasons in seasons 1-3, never played until this season...but was the 6th highest paid C in the league? This man had 3rd line C written all over him. Oh well. At least he gets to enjoy the beach with his cool $8.25M.

Canadas_Game416, RD, $6.5M
    Anaheim Ducks

Key Notes from original Review: “$6.5M for what is, basically, a 2nd line RD? Really want to pay $6.5M for 15 wins? I dunno. This seems like a huge overpay.”

Contract Size: 6th out of 94
    Record: 43 out of 94 (5-6-1)
    +/-: 27 out of 94 (+7)

Midseason Review:6th highest RD contract this season. He’s not having a bad season, simply...meh.

Original Ranking: 4th
    New Ranking: 7th

Rankings Change: Just like the original review I posted asked: is an average second liner worth the 6th highest contract in the league? CG416 isn’t having a bad season. He’s slightly above average. Which is about right on par for his career path. Not a bad player, but this is still an overpay (albeit smaller) for a contract.

AlexDrum100, LD, $5.75M
    Anaheim Ducks

Key Notes from original Review: “He hasn’t played LG in two seasons and his last 4 seasons played he put up a 47-41-8 record with a +/- of -6. This contract will end up being an albatross, and, even though I’ve heard he’s a great guy, this was a monster overpay for average talent.”

Contract Size: 6th out of 86
    Record: 32 out of 86 (6-4-2)
    +/-: 40 out of 86 (+3)

Midseason Review:6th highest LD contract this season. Currently sits top 3 in points for LD.

Original Ranking: 3rd
    New Ranking: 9th

Rankings Change: Based on some of his overall stats, I think Alex’s points will regress to the means by season end. Still, this contract isn’t nearly as bad as originally assumed. While I still think this contract is an overpay for someone who is essentially performing like a high scoring second liner, you are still getting decent production out of the position. Jury is out on this contract until the end of the season.

Sudzy92, RW, $8.25M
    Chicago Blackhawks

Key Notes from original Review: “Let me be very clear: this is a horrible contract. Sudzy hasn’t been relevant since season 5, which as discussed earlier, was a higher scoring league back then.”

Contract Size: 7th out of 96
    Record: 34 out of 96 (6-6-0)
    +/-: 57 out of 96 (-1)

Midseason Review:7th highest contract for all C’s, Sudzy has put up a slightly above average season.

Original Ranking: 2nd
    New Ranking: 10th

Rankings Change
    : I thought this was my 100% slamdunk worst contract of the season. I was wrong. Sudzy’s record and +/- are average, which is a redflag for a top C. Yet he’s played on the worst team in the league for the entirety of the season. He did have some soft competition in the first few weeks, but he’s played some better teams recently, so I don’t think he’s ducking anyone. If you took Sudzy off the worst team in the league and plopped him onto an average one, you’d be talking about top 15 production across the board. Overpay? Slightly. But so far, hes having a decent retribution season.

KingKonz-, G, $3.25M
    Arizona Coyotes

Key Notes from original Review: “I don’t care if he’s the best fucking goalie on the planet: 10% of your cap on a goalie is fucking insane. The huge benefit for the Sabres is, obviously, Josh’s free contract. Instead of optimizing that huge advantage, they burned it on a starting goalie.”

Contract Size: 1st out of 61
    Record: 13 out of 61 (12-8-0)
    Save %: 15 out of 61 (83.8%)
    GAA: 16 out of 61 (2.09)

Midseason Review: Konz had the highest salary for a goalie by over a million dollars. Thus far, he’s performed like an average starting goalie.

Original Ranking: 1st
    New Ranking: 2nd

Rankings Change
    : Victory lap time. I put Konz on this list, not because he isn’t a great goalie, but - as I said in the first article - 10% of your cap on a goalie is fucking INSANE. There is too many variables for goalies year-to-year (look at his stats this season). But, just as importantly, no matter how well you thought you built your team, you are always going to stumble across holes as the season progresses.

I’d say that after the first four weeks of the season, JClaus would agree. Especially considering he traded Konz - not because he sucks - but because he...needed the cap space! And the new goalie he traded for - Gold Mete - was just suspended for the season (maybe it gets reversed? Dont know the situation). Now, because he needed to trade his $3.25m goalie for cap space, he’s running out a goalie who is 7-8 with a save percentage under 80%.

The breakdown: spending $3.25m on Konz cost the Sabres the ability to add depth (could have traded for a whole new 3rd line, or an extra 2nd line winger, or a more talented first liner, or 2nd line D, etc) as well as a true starting goalie (Gold Mete suspension). The contract really couldn’t have played out worse for them.

As stated at the start of the season...huge overpay.

Thats all. Please feel free to read the below quotes from people who told me Konz shouldn’t have been on the list (again...victory lap!)

DShakki: “Konz at 3.25m is fine. The D class is weak, and D are overrated if you trap well enough. So, get a good goalie and you gucci.

All the dmen sucked, so they got @KingKonz- to be their LD, RD, and G. So with that in mind, he was really a steal, especially if they manage to convince him to play on the 3rd line. He can prob break out as a G better than most 3rd line d pairs, and I know for a fact he can break it out better than @EbonyFetishz

Franky” “Tbh goalie is huge part of the team 3.25mill for the best G not that overpaid G is important in this game we saw that last season”

Polska: “How is 3 million on a goalie an over payment when he is the one playing 6 games lol”

FrenchMoron: “When you have Josh and Sitful on free contracts, that's 2 first lines right there, potentially 2 20+ wins lines. Why not pay 3M on Konz at that point and guarantee you a game 7 G who can steal games with a 3rd line that can decently defend? I personally understand how he would be #1 overpaid on 90% of the teams in LG, but on BUF, the price is right.”

Josh (the man who signed him): “I don't normally think paying that much for a G is a smart idea, but our roster had no real holes and we already had secured a very good 3rd line. The number of top end G's was very thin so if it means paying 1 mil extra to get the very best G or get a slightly better 2nd line winger?”

Schoot” “konz at 3.25 while having sitful (arguably one of thee best centers on xbox) on ur 2nd line whilst still having winger depth seems like a no brainer to me. and this isnt coming from scootz on buffalo, this is coming from scootz the manager.”

DanielEPS: “Great article. Really only disagree with your logic on the goalie at number one. Buffalo had the cap to spare on an elite goalie and didn't really have many holes to fill.”

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 3
    better20yearsago
  2. brax96

brax96 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +436 / 17 / -49
    @xTheos l7l idk how you not on here you stink like long giraffe necks

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    extrasweetsauce
  3. B-Bunny

B-Bunny Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 47 / -73
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  4. Prochx9

Prochx9 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Dommy#7793
    Ratings:
    +360 / 29 / -62
    No Streaming Account
  5. GonzoArmstrong

GonzoArmstrong Warning Group

Ratings:
    +1,212 / 169 / -318
    @Spray_and_pray_ I'm fully aware that this was based on your original list... but how the fuck did you leave mattkinnoo off the original. Talk about paying for a guy who more than likely had his vg stats boosted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  6. DShakki

DShakki Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +990 / 72 / -110
    I still stand by my comment, and your list is clearly garbage if i'm not on it

• Funny Funny x 3
    Woytkiw8
  7. LikeASumboodeh__

LikeASumboodeh__ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +227 / 1 / -11
    Still worth my price

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  8. WashdNoThums

WashdNoThums Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +403 / 61 / -171
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  9. Tjhdp11

Tjhdp11 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +277 / 27 / -19
    I mean, not knocking on my forwards but we've had 3 players not show up for games that got banned, and our previous GM quit. So 4/6 players on our top 6 forwards got banned lol. Not an excuse, but an explanation.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Tjhdp11
  10. Primetimme

Primetimme - Nick.

Discord:
    primetimme#0
    Ratings:
    +3,684 / 41 / -169
    @Spray_and_pray_

What if I told you my first season as an owner in VHL myself and Mainevent spent 15mil on a goalie named Hearley.

Because we could.

• Like Like x 1
    Primetimme1
  11. nazzy2face

nazzy2face Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +164 / 5 / -16
    No Streaming Account
  12. Vish x 91

Vish x 91 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 26 / -32
    • Like Like x 1
    vish_b
  13. tdk_95

tdk_95 Wannabe RD

Discord:
    TDK_95#8433
    Ratings:
    +373 / 7 / -2
    The fact that you went back and reviewed this is awesome.

What is the most money you should EVER be allowed to spend on a goalie?

TDK95
  14. zRobb-_-

zRobb-_- The Wayne Gretzky of sexual stuff

Ratings:
    +448 / 35 / -101
    Still think i should be on there.

robshere
  15. xC Y Rx 18

xC Y Rx 18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 1 / -7
    Nah I should be on there for sho #oldwashedsweatythumbs

• Funny Funny x 1
    nothumbsweatyaf
  16. Krvstoffer

Krvstoffer help

Discord:
    krvstoffer#0
    Ratings:
    +1,881 / 57 / -118
    Konz being moved had nothing to do with cap. Konz is worth 3.25 easy. Konzy wanted to play NACL so we moved him to get a goalie with better avail

• Informative Informative x 1
    Krvstoffer
  17. Kushnee

Kushnee Well-Known Member

Discord:
    kushnastyy#0
    Ratings:
    +665 / 53 / -88
    Where is fondy

No Streaming Account
  18. Spray_and_pray_

Spray_and_pray_ Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Spray&Pray#1055
    Ratings:
    +536 / 35 / -62
    This is a review of the people who were on the first list I made at the start of the season. I didnt add new names.

• Like Like x 1
    better20yearsago
  19. Kushnee

Kushnee Well-Known Member

Discord:
    kushnastyy#0
    Ratings:
    +665 / 53 / -88
    oh okay

No Streaming Account
  20. DShakki

DShakki Well-Known Member