Trade Deadline Analysis - Playoff/Bubble Teams

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL)' started by MiDi l97l, Jul 23, 2020.

1. MiDi l97l

MiDi l97l Take it easy dude, but take it

Discord:
    MiDi#7306
    Ratings:
    +897 / 67 / -33
    I've decided to do a little trade deadline analysis of teams in playoff contention. While most doesn't go in depth to players' stats so far in the season, it's more about their overall skill and fit in their new teams, and how that can help or hinder that team in making or missing the playoffs. I also threw in my predicted final standing for each team in the division.

Enjoy!

1. Providence Bruins:team352:

First Week Post-Deadline: 6-3

The Bruins did not make any roster changes through the deadline week, and stood pat with their current TCs. They did acquire RAV @Charmop82 to help them secure first in the division as an ECU goalie during the rest of the regular season, which at their current pace they should accomplish with or without his help.

Predicted Division Finish: 1st

2. Hershey Bears:team350:

First Week Post-Deadline: 6-2-1

Hershey made one roster move, shipping off @MDHorton88 and draft prospect @l GOSLING l to Laval for @I F3ROCIOUS I, who went 3-0 in his first week with the Bears. They also made a few moves to acquire some playoff eligible TCs in @Patmo x 16, @SpadsYo, and @STEENROLLLER. All good acquisitions to shore up their TC and challenge Providence for 1st in the division. However, I think Hartford has better overall goaltending and will just barely overtake them in the standings, but Hershey will have the opportunity to get the last laugh in round one and it will be a competitive series to watch (which I have the Bears winning).

Predicted Division Finish: 3rd

3. Hartford Wolf Pack:team314:

First Week Post-Deadline: 6-2-1

One big move by the Wolf Pack, acquiring @Not A Fox Given for @Weldxr and @Relly x 18 to Bridgeport. Bridgeport was looking to the future with this move by taking on Relly, as they'll have him next season. Fox is a better LD, but is playing RW instead of LW for Hartford. Not sure how this will work out in the long run, but he did go 3-0 this week, but it was against Springfield, WBS, and Bridgeport. Time will tell how this move pans out, but it is likely they just wanted to mix it up and didn't believe Weldxr was their answer on the third line RW slot.

Predicted Division Finish: 2nd

4. Charlotte Checkers:team393:

First Week Post-Deadline: 5-4

The Checkers made a few moves to shake-up their roster, but I'll touch on the bigger ones only. On Thursday, they sent @Baaacks along with two TCs in @Ryley and @xPistolPeteIIIx to San Diego for @I Steal Napkins. The move was likely made because of Baaacks moving and availability concerns, but they acquire a good defensive center and faceoff guy in Naps to fill the void. Charlotte also made two other moves, acquiring @Chicago Liights - who was once traded for me in a 1-4-1 in the NHL - and @JeFfBdR31. After also acquiring @KeiranGW who in my opinion is one of the more underrated goalies in the league, I think this team made overall positive changes. However, I don't think they'll jump up any places in the standings.

Predicted Division Finish: 4th

1. Binghamton Devils:team303:

First Week Post-Deadline: 7-2

The Devils made three big moves to improve their team, acuiring @patsway from the Rocket, then @tbeat-- from the Firebirds to shore up their defence core, then traded their extra dman @STL TopShelf for some TC depth heading into playoffs. They're a tough team to play, but in one of the toughest division after Suzuki's takeover and turnaround of the Amerks. Giving more defensive support to AHL-Vezina-equivalent contender @DevilzR3aper can go a long way in making a playoff run.

2. Toronto Marlies:team298:

Aside from @Broomball16's toxic TC swaps, the baby Leafs haven't made any significant moves all season. The team is good, and has a great goalie in @Scampurs. They will make a strong playoff push and have potential to make it to the finals, but they can also lose in the first round if things go sour, especially with the craziness of what the division turned out to be.

3. Belleville Senators:team777:

Only some TC moves made by the Sens, so I won't elaborate much on those. We won't know the impact unless any of the traded players have any impacts in playoffs anyway so I'll save everybody's time. This is a tough team to play against, and is my personal favourite to get out of the division in the playoffs. What concerns me heading into playoffs is their goal differential though, meaning they could also be an early elimination if they don't get a bounce or a save when they need it.

4. Rochester Americans:team312:

Big week for the Amerks as they won a lot of key division games. This team has been very good since @Suzuki I14I joined their management team with @Draward x 97. They have one of the better goalies in the game in @l2 O M B O, and have been improving every week. This late push is surprising, and they're building some real momentum in the home stretch of the regular season. I look for them to get it done and squeeze into playoffs, especially if they keep winning these divisional games.

5. Cleveland Monsters:team317:

First Week Post-Deadline: 4-5

A confusing deadline by the Monsters saw them trade away one of the better goalies in the AHL this season in @DaYoungBuck, and only acquiring TCs in the deadline week. Whatever way you cut it, the 4-5 record this past week is an indication it might not have been the right move. I think the Monsters can rebound from this, but if they lose in another divisional week, the season will be over quickly. All the best gentlemen.

Predicted Division Finish: 6th

6. Laval Rocket:team778:

A deadline gift in the send-down of @Gros Tabarnack, the Rocket were able to make some key acquisitions for their TC to challenge for a playoff spot in getting @Capitalize x94 and @l GOSLING l. While Cap can't be used for the playoffs, he can be used to help the team get their, and I would expect him to win a majority of games he plays, if any. However, I think the resurgence of the Amerks coupled with a bad but improving goal differential will be the difference and the Rocket will finish just shy of a playoff spot. Sorry Forsberg.

Predicted Division Finish: 5th

7. Utica Comets:team410:

First Week Post-Deadline: 2-6-1

One major move at the deadline, acquiring @o Black Fire x to help the defence core. He went 1-1-1 on the week, but those two losses were against the Rocket and the Amerks. With one of the most expensive goalie tandems in the league, it was a tough task for Andrew @Nxgi to help build this team back up and he so far has not. Downward trajectory in a tough division, you hate to see it.

Predicted Division Finish: 7th

1. Grand Rapids Griffins:team299:

No major moves coming from the Griffins, who stand pat at first in their division. Don't see them having an issue the rest of the way. Will certainly be an interesting team to watch in the playoffs with how they choose to match lines. All I have to say is one time I scored on Darcy from my goal line in an NHL game too probably in NHL17. He's a good guy and good goalie, I'm just trying to fill content space. PSwag did that this week anyway.

2. Manitoba Moose:team307:

The Moose had a busy deadline acquiring @l Lebel 89 l and @Weldxr up front, and @BADxLARRY and @STL TopShelf on defence. All good acquisitions, and should have a positive impact on the Moose as they look to challenge for a deep playoff run. As long as Duber isn't as toxic as he used to be this team should be poise to give any team they play a tough series.

3. S(B)an Antonio Rampage:team363:

First Week Post-Deadline: 3-5-1

I don't even really know what to say about this team since I have no idea what will happen, so let's stick to deadline acquisitions. Solid acquisitions of @Belial I19I, @jarrettszn, and @DEATHBEAST774, but they've provided mixed results. If the new acquisitions can pick it up and have a better overall week moving forward, and no bans are handed out, they'll finish 3rd in the division, if not, they can squeak out a 4th because I don't think Texas can pull it this wide a gap in the standings at this point in time. I also don't want to believe they're in contention so I don't need to write about them.

4. Milwaukee Admirals:team390:

While @Barks l21l continues to ego me on the lunch invites, him and his management team did some fine work on the deadline. They acquired @JuniorHawk16 for @Iv 0VI vI, and got @svg 11 from the Crunch, making for what I believe to be one of the best goaltending tandems heading into playoffs with @recyclebinhero. Relative to the other top teams in their division, they struggle to score, and this can be a problem in playoffs if there aren't any bounces. I think they're another team that can go far but also can get bounced in round 1, especially if GRG line matches well.

1. San Diego Gulls:team518:

First Week Post-Deadline: 8-1

The Gulls found a way to improve by acquiring @Baaacks and some TCs for @I Steal Napkins. Other minor deals were trading RAVs for playoff eligible TCs. As they are my team, I won't comment further.

2. Tucson Roadrunners:team618:

First Week Post-Deadline: 8-1

With their only loss this past week coming to the Gulls, it looks like Tucson is Roadrunning away with 2nd in the division. The Roadrunners only made some minor TC trades, and look confident heading into the playoffs. They'll be in for a tough first round, and have to effectively line match in each series in order to get the job done.

3. Bakersfield Condors:team515:

First Week Post-Deadline: 3-5-1

Bakersfield had a slightly rough week, but nothing they cannot recover from. No notable moves from the trade deadline. Bakersfield is a solid team that will be a tough playoff matchup for any team facing them.

4. Ontario Reign:team517:

Only some minor TC moves from the deadline, and the Reign had a down week going 4-5. Looking for them to bounce back, but with every game becoming more and more important in one of the tightest playoff races in the league, they cannot afford another week like this. Dipping into the negative goal differential and also being on a negative trend, I think they'll end up missing the playoffs by a slim margin as other teams around them got better.

Predicted Division Finish: 6th

5. Stockton Heat:team516:

First Week Post-Deadline: 3-6

After acquiring one of the bigger names in LG in @MarcoGoes5H0LE (I miss Boston S26 buddy), Stockton looked poised to improve and create some space in the playoff race. That didn't happen, and any logical person would blame @Orock Cooks since he went 0-3. I think Stockton will rebound next week and give a better showing and pass Ontario, and keep that momentum heading into the final week of the season the snag 4th or potential 3rd if Bakersfield falters. Good deadline move to put them into a position to succeed.

6. San Jose Barracuda:team519:

First Week Post-Deadline: 5-3-1

The Barracuda didn't make too many major moves, but claimed @Fedxrov off waivers to help the offence. I think they made the right decisions, but losing Hautein to a call-up was tough. They'll make a strong push, but come just short, especially if Stockton gains their footing. And if Ontario also does, it might just be too little too late for the Barracuda.

Predicted Division Finish: 5th

7. Palm Springs Firebirds:team514:

After trying to acquire @DaYoungBuck, it looks like the trade was reversed likely due to the timing of the deal. Unfortunate, and likely screws over the Firebirds in a tough division. The team made a lot of moves on the deadline, acquiring @I GuiDice I, @xDemon12x, @SCRAGZxx, and @dirtsaucesnipes to shore up some shortcomings offensively and on the right side defensively. Similarly to the Barracuda, while I think they made good moves, it's just a little too late in an absolute battle for that final playoff spot in the division, and clearly they didn't have trust in their goalies to get the job done. It'll be tough to compete when it's this close and every team needs to bring it every night moving forward.

Predicted Division Finish: 7th

• Like Like x 32
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  2. ScheckDiesel

ScheckDiesel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 11 / -8
    good write up. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  3. Cotonouate7855

Cotonouate7855 Member

Discord:
    CotonOuate#0748
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -3
    Love the write up about the Rampage. When can I expect to read one about the Penguins?

• Troll x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  4. JayyDubski

JayyDubski LGCHL Director

Discord:
    dayoungbuck#0
    Ratings:
    +3,456 / 325 / -613
    I love the shoutout to Cleveland trading me, but where's my new team? @MiDi l97l :(

• Informative Informative x 1
    DaYoungBuck
  5. Iv 0VI vI

Iv 0VI vI wyddd stepbr0VI

Ratings:
    +113 / 6 / -15
    Ooof those Reign only made minor tc trades at the deadline. Hate to c it !!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  6. CarneyeVORE

CarneyeVORE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +464 / 28 / -20
    Still went 4-5... so we'll have to prove em wrong ;)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    wizard0fozzy
  7. CarneyeVORE

CarneyeVORE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +464 / 28 / -20
    Thanks for the write up @MiDi l97l . We need more media around here - kudos

• Like Like x 1
    wizard0fozzy
  8. I Steal Napkins

I Steal Napkins Well-Known Member

Discord:
    istealnapkinss#0
    Ratings:
    +37 / 3 / -2
    Great write up @MiDi l97l! Looking forward to reading more from you in the future!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  9. Mr Orock

Mr Orock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +240 / 19 / -47
    Great write up @MiDi l97l its definitely my fault we went 3-6 this week I’ll do better dad I swear

• Like Like x 1
    wedunkthose
  10. Luffy Qc

Luffy Qc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 3 / -5
    LAST ???

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  11. MiDi l97l

MiDi l97l Take it easy dude, but take it

Discord: