HeadLine Training Camp Games

Update on new ideas for TC Games

1. Dark_side0895

Dark_side0895 Media Director and GM of the Wichita Thunder

Discord:
    Dark_side0895 Kalamazoo (Owner)#9234
    Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -13
    Training Camp Games - Update on new ideas for TC Games.

[​IMG]

We’re almost through the off-season with the NHL draft at 8 PM EST tonight and for players who did not get a chance at a deep playoff run, I’m sure that Season 11 can’t come soon enough. With that in mind, for teams this means scouting as many players as they can to get their best possible roster and for players it means trying to find the best team to play on or finding the best option to make a roster spot on. However, the math just doesn’t work out in favour for some players as they will begin their season on Training Camp rosters. As someone who has managed a team for the past 3 seasons, I know all too well how hard it can be to keep TCs engaged, especially if there is rarely a need for an ECU. The LG staff have noticed this fact, they’ve heard the complaints about “bad luck” in terms of TC assignments and are looking to a new system to focus on better TC retention; 3’s TC games.

I’m sure some of you read that last sentence and damn near flipped your table over, and some of you are excited. As with any large change there is going to be debate, but before we get to that inevitable part of the conversation, let’s talk about the logistics first.

I feel I need to start this part off with a disclaimer; yes, I do the media for LG. Yes, I get some information earlier than others. However, this does not mean I have any impact on the decision itself or that I am not blind to some upcoming information. With that said, I want to talk a bit about what I believe and would like to see be done with this type of setup for TC games.

Game Setup

From the conversations I’ve had with some of the LG staff, we are looking at a system wherein the “3’s games” will operate much like regularly scheduled games. Your TCs sign up for the games they can play (I’m sure there will be a minimum and maximum, I just don’t know what it is) and the management would need to set their lineups. I am led to believe that these games will operate in off time with LG games. This is to say 8:00, 9:00, 10:00 game times (if you’re eastern like myself). This allows TCs to play during the regular week of play and it gets rid of any concern that you might not have an ECU for that night’s games. This also means that FFs exist. With any new toys and features, we must look at who is going to be responsible for maintaining them. In this case it falls squarely on the managers of a team. For some of you this may raise red flags immediately. Let me put your mind at ease a bit. If you do not have enough TCs signing up for games and are doing your due diligence to have them removed from LG, you will not be punished. That is to say that the staff can see who signs up for games, meaning using such a reasoning when it is categorically incorrect likely will put you in hot water.

The “Why?” of it all

I am to understand that rather than having a TC discord where CHL managers volunteer to be TC developers and organize “Red Vs Blue” games, the league is looking to keep this “in-house” as it were. The reason I personally like this idea, as someone who was part of the TC development program for season 10, is because it solves a few issues. One being, it removes any room for player tampering within these games. Whether it be from managers and owners trying to sneak their way into the discord, sending their TCs on recon missions, or volunteers abusing their power. This means less stress on the Bogs to surveil an entire community of TCs. It also allows teams to control which TCs play the games. With some feeling that not all TCs were given the opportunity to appear in the games in seasons past.

The Impact

I’m sure at this point some managers are sweating a little at the idea of having an entire 2nd roster’s worth of games manage, and I’m sure some like myself are excited to see how the first season of this goes. However, before I leave you guys to debate, I’d like to talk a bit about how this may impact certain sections of the league. First and foremost; this may cause issues for first time owners who have taken on the role to break free from TC and get a roster spot. This is not a shot, this exists, and I do not condemn those for doing it. I’m not a very skilled player, however I make up for it by building strong teams to carry me (I enjoy my team’s roomy back pack, so fire away if you would like). Then we move onto the section of owners who are returning and had issues last season with running their teams to their fullest ability. My hope is that these members will have brushed up on the rules and recognized the amount of commitment required to be a successful manager in LG. However, there will be those who cannot handle the task, there always is. A side note I have is that this could impact how we view TC games in terms of the weight it holds. Some feel that 3’s are a more skill-based competition and others feel that it is “not real hockey” and will discard it as such. I think as a stat driven community, this can be a useful tool if used correctly. If managers have their players streaming these games, they will be able look at the talent they have on their TC roster without having to play with them as often. Similarly, managers looking to have the deal sweetened a little bit not longer have to worry about receiving something they didn’t bargain for, as they are able to a little more research.

Final Thoughts

Before I send you guys off into the comment section for what I’m sure will be a kind and respectful discussion of the new system, I’d like to get some last-minute thoughts in. I know some will like this and some will dislike this, its how thing work in a community. I will say, I am 100% for this concept, and I am sure there will be issues and there will be whining about it, but we must grow. We need to stop losing members because they never saw the ice with their teams and gave up on the league. I do not have every answer to every question about how this will be implemented or even when it will be implemented. I do know that this seems like an option, and one we haven’t looked at yet. I look forward to seeing the conversation about this, and I’m sure the league itself wants to hear what your comments and concerns.​

Support the news team, like, comment & share your thoughts on their work

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    ChoirsandCups
  2. mottly39

mottly39 Erie Otters Owner LD #39

Ratings:
    +129 / 25 / -17
    i do have two questions @Dark_side0895

- Are we to create a "satellite" club that is similar to our LG club?
    - Is there going to be standings? Or just stats? Seems if there are standings it would almost be another league but would be interesting.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
    mottly39
  3. Dark_side0895

Discord:
    Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -13
    None of this is set in stone, this is just an idea that's currently being looked into. That being said; you could use your own club that is used for LG because you can play 3's and 6's at the same time, plus the game times are different. I would imagine there would be no standings much like there currently are no standings for Red Vs Blue. Just stats. I'm assuming it's meant to be used as a showcase. I cannot emphasize enough that I have no sway over what LG Mcdonald and Tris do with the site. I merely report it as a media member!

• Informative Informative x 1
    ChoirsandCups
  4. mottly39

mottly39 Erie Otters Owner LD #39

Ratings:
    +129 / 25 / -17
    I'm not sure how many games are being planned per night but if we use our LG clubs we are gonna have to be real quick with stats considering the API only saves the most recent 5 games. I would think it might be better to have the LG TC Erie Otters etc. for that purpose alone. Just my thoughts and no "blame". There needs to be healthy discussion to bring different view points to the subject. All in all I think its a really good idea.

mottly39
  5. Dark_side0895

Discord:
    Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -13
    That's a good point about the API limitations. I could see it being a good idea to use a TC club. I always have had a TC club for my guys, just in case they want to practice while we're using the main one.

ChoirsandCups
  6. Farx9

Farx9 S8/S9/S10/S11 Hamilton Bulldogs Owner

Discord:
    Farx9#0786
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -6
    Pretty sure no extra club will be needed as the 6’s and 3’s dressing rooms are separate. Also if they only do one game per night it should not affect the API

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  7. K1ng_sl3yr

K1ng_sl3yr Well-Known Member

Discord:
    K1ng_sl3yr (LW)#0571
    Ratings:
    +30 / 14 / -15
    i agree with farx. especially since the api is 6 or 8 numbers you have to type. not like its an entire games worth of stats

k1ng_sl3yr
  8. XxMatt-_-26

XxMatt-_-26 Crazeematt1 - The Dumbass Police

Discord:
    xMatt26#8140
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 47 / -132
    So are these games mandatory games or like preseason where you can choose to not play it (in terms of managers putting a line out)? It's almost 3 AM and I'm tired so I might've missed it. That's a fat wall of text.

MrImster
  9. Matrikstl

Matrikstl Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    How about letting the owner pick one of the TC’s ( that accept it) to be say a Captain. Like there currently is in R v B. They could have line up access to the TC’s only. There allowing them to help relieve stress from the owners of a second rooster and help teach ownership to new TC’s on a smaller scale. Just an idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  10. Farx9

Farx9 S8/S9/S10/S11 Hamilton Bulldogs Owner

Discord:
    Farx9#0786
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -6
    I like this idea, I already assigne someone as unofficial management every season so this could be there thing

No Streaming Account
  11. Westbygod

Westbygod West

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, sounds like an excellent management development role to serve as a prerequisite for owning or gm’ing.

wvWESTwv
  12. Dark_side0895

Discord:
    Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -13
    Not 100% sure as it hasn't been implemented yet, but I would imagine mandatory once it's fully in place. Otherwise other team's TCs would miss out because "Team A" doesn't feel like scheduling their TCs

ChoirsandCups