UFC/MMA talk thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by DemonSpawn78, Jan 3, 2008.

1. DemonSpawn78

DemonSpawn78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thought that I would start up a thread (hope there wasnt one of these already) so we didnt have to hi-jack that other thread anymore :mrgreen:

Who gets the fights and who do you like?

I order just about every PPV fight, and I watch UFC fight night on spike tv religiously every week. Also watch a little WEC cage fighing on VS every now and then. If you dont know what WEC is, thats where Jens Pulver is and just made his day view the other week.

No Streaming Account
  2. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice, I tried a few times before but there was not a ton of interest. It might be different now. I will contribute as much as I can. How long have you been a fan Demon? It's been a few years now since I really got hardcore into it...before I was kind of casual. But now I watch them all, especially since I train in Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai now I realize the respect element to it and not the brutality as some only see it. HD Net fights is looking like it could be a player in the MMA world too. Elite XC has some promise too.

My favourites are GSP, Nick Diaz, BJ Penn, Joe Stevenson, Diego Sanzhez, Yves Edwards, Brandon Vera, Tito Ortiz, Quinton Jackson and Mirko Filipovic off the top fo my head.

Here's a little highlight I may have posted before of Nick Diaz vs. Robbie Lawler that I have always liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbDDJQJRPzw

No Streaming Account
  3. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No Streaming Account
  4. BleedBlueBlood

BleedBlueBlood Baron Von Sauerkraut

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0
    I'm just like you Mike, I watch it religiously especially the PPVs. In Canada we actually have a channel called the Fight Network which I watch quite often. Between the Fight Network, SpikeTV, HDNet and a couple other channels, they cover most fighting organizations.

BleedBlueBlood
  5. DemonSpawn78

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ive been a fan for a few years now maybe 3. I use to train at a gym with Jiu Jitsu and had plans on fighting in our local fight club in Utah. Then I moved to Texas, so thats that for now....I love ground game and grappling as I was a wrestler in High School.

GSP is awesome, one of my favorites too. I am really having a tough time with this fight coming up with Penn vs Stevenson, I really like both of them as I have also followed The Ultimate Fighter for every season but one of them. So its hard for me to pick a favorite for that fight.

I saw that fight with Nick Diaz vs. Robbie Lawler. Diaz is a beast, and the funny thing is he doesnt even look much like a fighter :mrgreen:

No Streaming Account
  6. BleedBlueBlood

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0
    I was going to add I've been watching MMA way before the UFC was formed. I forget what it was called back then, but Hoyce Gracie would have to fight 4 or 5 fights in the same night as these were all tournament style. I think Gracie won the first 2 tournaments and then Dan Severen won the 3rd. Back then Tank Abbott was popular...lol. God, this must be almost 10 years ago now. Boy, how time flies...

BleedBlueBlood
  7. infrb

infrb Respect

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    It was still the UFC. This was before the unified rules. Back then there weren't any rules and the referees had very little control over the fight. The fighter would have to quit or the corner would throw in the towel. Since Dana White and the Fertitta brothers bought the UFC, things have changed considerably (and thanks to Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin from the TUF 1 finale).

My favorite fighter is Houston Alexander. The guy is a beast. He needs some ground work, but for the most part I think he's going to be a force in 205 in the future.

No Streaming Account
  8. BleedBlueBlood

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, you're right. I guess that's how they got to UFC 80 now..lol.

It was interesting watching guys fight with the few rules they had with no weight classes and multiple fights in the same night.

I like Alexander too, but he got schooled bigtime in his last fight. He needs alot of work in his ground game.

BleedBlueBlood
  9. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Big MMA fan here too.

I watched some of the PPV events in the early days but didn't really get into it until Spike started airing the TUF and Fight Night shows. I watch most of the PPV events now with my brothers... what a great execuse to get together and have a few drinks, and the wives don't mind as they get to scrap book or whatever they decide to do, lol.

GSP is probably my favorite figher and I was very happy to see him whip Hughes again. Hughes is a great MMA fighter but GSP showed how one dimensional he can be. I have no doubt that now that he has his training and personal life back in order that he'll have no problems with Serra this time around.

Other fighters I like are John Fitch (could be a great eventual title fight with GSP), BJ Penn, Kenny Florian (I'd love to see him fight Penn) and Karo Parysian (sp?).

No Streaming Account
  10. infrb

infrb Respect

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I liked your list of fighters up until Karo. The guy can't finish a fight. :)

No Streaming Account
  11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is true, and I should add that I included him in my list not so much that I think he is a great fighter (he's good but will never crack the top 5 or so I don't think) but more that his fights are always exciting.

No Streaming Account
  12. pixelslash

pixelslash Inactive

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with infrb, you have a great list. GSP is my favorite also - maybe partially a Canadian thing but he is fun to watch as well. Another favorite of mine is Andre Arlovski, although lately not so much ;)

No Streaming Account
  13. DemonSpawn78

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ya, where has Andre been, havnt seen him since that last Silvia fight.....

No Streaming Account
  14. pixelslash

pixelslash Inactive

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    He had one fight after which was booooooring. The fighters ended up getting booed and the ref had to warn both fighters not to back away from each other as both looked tentative. He won the match by decision but it wasn't very good.

After being so ferocious that knockout by Silvia seemed to make him reluctant. Too bad as I would always look forward to his fights (albeit they usually only lasted 1 - 2 minutes).

No Streaming Account
  15. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Arlovski is reportedly fighting at UFC 82....no opponent names yet though.

No Streaming Account
  16. pixelslash

pixelslash Inactive

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Excellent, I wonder who they will set him up against... Cheick Kongo would be fun to watch I think.

No Streaming Account
  17. DemonSpawn78

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone watch that TapOut show? At first I didnt like it, and thought that they were a bunch of goons with the makeup and the wierd outfits, but once I got to know them and understand them a little more, the show kind of grew on me and I enjoy watching them now.

No Streaming Account
  18. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Cheik Congo matchup probably makes the most sense right although I have heard rumours of him fighting Cro Cop as well. now

No Streaming Account
  19. pixelslash

pixelslash Inactive

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think a Arlovski and Cro Cop fight would make sense. Both seem to be falling away from their shot a reclaiming or claiming a title. This way one would be back in the mix.

No Streaming Account
  20. jujimum

jujimum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oddly enough, I like how it's organized now yet I watched it more back when it was like that :-? The multiple fights per night was crazy. Tank Abbott was my favorite because of his appearance moreso than his fighting.

No Streaming Account