UFC/MMA talk thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by DemonSpawn78, Jan 3, 2008.

1. pixelslash

pixelslash Inactive

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The ironic part is this UFC event I did way more guessing and less actual "research" and did far better. Guess I shouldn't become an analyst. :mrgreen:

As far as the matches go, I actually thought this was one of the better events. I wasn't looking forward to it all that much aside from the Penn/Sherk fight.

Sure the Ortiz/Machida fight was a little dull but I find it has a lot to do with Ortiz as well. He hasn't been the same in years. He doesn't attack unless he is 100% safe doing so, that is why he just stands there and puts up his arms playing to the crowd. Don't get me wrong, I am an Ortiz fan but I just find he is often to worried about how his opponent is fighting then how he is performing.

Overall, I think it was a great UFC and I am becoming more and more of a Penn fan with every fight I watch of his. He has come a long way from the guy who use to win and then run out of the arena.

Thanks again Xeno for doing these, adds a little more excitement.

No Streaming Account
  2. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No problem...I enjoy it.

I only watched the event once. I recorded it so I thought but it somehow didn't work. What I remember in my slightly drunken state was that Ortiz was almost always moving forward. No he wasn't always attacking but Machida was NEVER attacking. You can't expect Ortiz to jump right into a counter punch. Ortiz was walking forward while Machida was circling away and just waiting him to make the first move. I was starting to like him but now I am not so sure. I would have much rather seen an exciting BJJ or grappling chess match on the ground.

No Streaming Account
  3. pixelslash

pixelslash Inactive

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I completely agree that Ortiz was the aggressor in the match for sure.

A fighter who is constantly moving towards the opponent but not bringing anything to the fight is how Ortiz fights now. He moves forward over and over, shoots a few times, fails then apologizes to the crowd saying "I tried".

He knew what kind of fighter Machida was when he stepped in the ring with him so he shouldn't be shocked to find out "gasp, I am not quick enough to take him down". That seemed to be his only game plan. He had no back-up plan, didn't throw a kick... even when he clinched with Machida he got scared and backed out of it as fast as Machida did.

At least Machida landed a few punches. Ortiz can't even claim that. The true goat of that match was the matchmaker. It was a horrible decision to have these two guys face each other... maybe it was planned to make Ortiz look slow and useless (which imo it did).

I do agree though that if Machida is no longer in the UFC, I won't be too disappointed. Overall that was definitely the bad fight of the night but I will give Machida one last chance before I Starnes him. :mrgreen:

No Streaming Account
  4. DemonSpawn78

DemonSpawn78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did anyone watch the Ultimate fighter and see the Ahmir VS Brown fight?

Man that was a great fight!

Also, the Fabir VS Pulvar fight is coming up, should be a real exciting fight!

No Streaming Account
  5. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did see that fight. It was a classic case of chin vs. no chin. You are either born with a chin or not. Matt Brown got exposed as to what will prevent him from going far in the sport IMO.

Damn I wish I had Versus....I don't get to see the Faber vs. Pulver fight. I'm pretty sure Faber has this one though.

No Streaming Account
  6. Gerbox 360

Gerbox 360 Gerbox is so 2009

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ding ding ding ding! We have a winner. This is far from the first time UFC has done this. Look no further then Arlovski's last fight in the U, it was against frickin Jake O'Brien, ugh.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
    No Streaming Account
  7. pixelslash

pixelslash Inactive

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I win? Awesome, make sure and tell Xeno to add that to my standings as I need all the help I can get. :laugh:

No Streaming Account
  8. jujimum

jujimum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For those that watched the CBS show last night, here is an article from Yahoo! Sports about the show.

I don't hesitate to admit that I havne't watched any of this in quite some time. I watched it a little in the mid-90s but then lost interest due to most of it being on PPV. So last night was a perfect chance for me to get into it since it was being hyped up a bit.

Honestly, if Pixelslash and I hadn't been having an MSN convo during the fights, I would've lost interest again. The fights were decent, but one of the best fights was stopped and in my opinion, shouldn't have been.

Anyway, I'll be watching the Vs. event tonight especially after reading this article. I'm not even a regular fan and I agree with most of his article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_y...B?slug=ki-elitexctv060108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

No Streaming Account
  9. pixelslash

pixelslash Inactive

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My favorite part of the CBS event was the announcer comparing Kimbo Slice to Tiger Woods. Spot on. :laugh:

EDIT: Fixed my spelling mistake of Kimbo... thanks to jujis quote now everyone will know. :(

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
    No Streaming Account
  10. jujimum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :laugh: :mrgreen: That was fun(ny).

Here's another article that was good from yahoo! sports as well. A couple things from this article I liked:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_y...5nYcB?slug=dd-kimbo060108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I know what they're talking about but would have to see it again. It looked like he tapped Thompson's arm but not quite. Almost as if he was hoping the ref would stop it and then say he didn't tap. But I can't say for sure, I just know I saw what they were talking about.

This was why I was glad Pixel and I were talking because I was getting irritated. Pixel said it wasn't always like that. :razz:

Part of the problem was the first two fights were very, very short. But even so, I still think it dragged on and I was getting antsy.

No Streaming Account
  11. DemonSpawn78

DemonSpawn78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I watched those fights last night!

Man did you see crush woop on that other chic? Those chics are straight tough! Would beat down alot men :shock:

No Streaming Account
  12. Foiled Up

Foiled Up Tha Big D1rty

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HOLY SH!T did Crush whoop her LMAO , The chicks face was messed up that they stopped the fight. The left side of her face is going to be swollen for a good week :razz:

That " Eye poking " fight stoppage was horrible. All he was trying to do was take his 5 mins to get his breath, Those 2 were slugging away for like 13 mins or sumthing, They called the fight like 45 seconds after that happened he still had 4 mins left on the Ref's time out . Still the best fight of the night IMO, Kimbo just sucks on the ground all he can hope for is to out power his opponent and get back to his feet QUICK as possible lol :mrgreen:

No Streaming Account
  13. BleedBlueBlood

BleedBlueBlood Baron Von Sauerkraut

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0
    TSN picked it up, it's on now.

BleedBlueBlood
  14. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Noooooooooooooooooooo.......I just came in at the beginning of the Miguel Torres vs. Maeda fight round 3. Wow, Torres is as incredible as the stories say! How much did I miss? What time did it start?

No Streaming Account
  15. BleedBlueBlood

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0
    It started at 9pm. The Pulver fight is coming up now.

BleedBlueBlood
  16. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What a great fight! Bit of everything.

No Streaming Account
  17. dustinATL

dustinATL Dustin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hows fabir gonna try to kick him in the face miss and fall on his ass lol?

anyways damn good fight. fabir is amazing and poulver put up a great fight

No Streaming Account
  18. BleedBlueBlood

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

It was okay in my eyes. As soon as Pulver got rocked (I think it was the 2nd), he was alot more cautious about being the aggressor. Seems like he knew he was going to lose the fight, but just didn't want to be put in the position of being knocked out. He seemed content with losing by a decision. Did you see how many times he kept looking up at the clock?

BleedBlueBlood
  19. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I definately saw his will was gone after a while and I saw the looks at the clock. He was in alot of pain in the swollen eye area...he kept wincing. But still the fact that he wouldn't go down kept fighting in the ground position...that would be a fight of the night candidate on any card.

No Streaming Account
  20. jujimum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maeda wasn't too shabby. He was taking some punishment but I thought it was a great fight.

No Streaming Account