Want to complain about your reliability meter?

Discussion in 'MLB 16: The Show' started by goalie, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goalie

goalie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Want to complain abo

we let half the season go by with no penalties whatsoever - and what happened?

two-thirds of the league fell behind.

many owners let us know BEFORE they went on vacation, and then they played their games ahead when we opened them.

like we've said a million times, "reliability points" are not GONE FOREVER. if you play the next week's games, you get them back.

we are not judging people by their meters - it just provides a little extra incentive to STAY caught up, or NOT FALL BEHIND.

at least now we have most people working MUCH HARDER to get their games in.

and we also have some who want to post about how unfair it is. (which, i guess, is ok)

guys, honestly, we (the commishes) can't be sitting here weighing excuses about why some games are played and some aren't. think about that for a moment (from my perspective) - pretty much EVERYBODY who misses a game has SOME excuse. when i missed hockey games, i had a VERY BUSY time at work - and far less time for games. is that excuse better or worse than a vacation? or what about an emergency that makes people miss a game? that's excusable, too - right? see the problem - there are MANY possible excuses - but i don't want to spend all my time checking proverbial "doctors notes" -

it's OK if you miss a couple of games. if you play them the following week, and get caught up, you get them back IMMEDIATELY.

so i ask, please put your time into getting together with your opponents to make up games that are missed. when that is done, no one will mess with the size of your meter. (see that was a joke! chill a bit guys, this is a video game website!)

and remember, the reliability measures games you have missed, NOT WHAT KIND OF PERSON YOU ARE!

No Streaming Account
  2. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Want to complain

No I don't. Why have a vacation thread then? And I said before no other leauge does this. [-(

No Streaming Account
  3. goalie

goalie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well, MP - i've done my best to explain it.

as i said - the FIRST SIX WEEKS of the season went by with us just pointing out missed games. we didnt impose ANY PENALTIES, WHATSOEVER.

2 weeks before the 2nd half (week 7) began, mnkytix pointed out that penalties would be imposed for continuously missed games.

as we've also stated repeatedly, if you are going away - you MAY play your games ahead of time. MANY people have done this. i recommend that other people with future vacations do the same.

too many people fell too far behind. we had to address it for that reason.

again, don't take it personally - you will get points back once you play your games on time.

No Streaming Account
  4. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Well, I only fell behind because my connection was screwed up. I don't see how docking me points is magically gonna make my connection get better. I did go out and fix it...but I shouldn't be at 14% for working hard to fix the problem.

Gajeske85
  5. Golden Gophers

Golden Gophers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Goalie, can you unlock all my remaining games then, as I will probably be heading out of town in a week or two until September 9th, when I get to college.

No Streaming Account
  6. nosice

nosice Only Texans Fan @ LG

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    1. I have never missed Games Continously...

2. The word MAY means that you can but it is not required...

3. I DO TAKE IT PERSONALLY WHEN SOMEONE TELLS ME IM NOT RELIABLE.

What is a commish for.. I mean.. Why have them, if they dont make calls and all that good stuff.. Commissioners are suppose to weigh the good and the bad a make those so called tough calls.. Especially the easy ones like not penalizing vacations....

No Streaming Account
  7. Golden Gophers

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Word

No Streaming Account
  8. nosice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    where is mnkytrix in all of this... He cant be making these decisions.. He would have at least chimed in if he agreed but i dont think he does... How could he....

ill tell you what, you can let me out anytime... There's no sense in having to struggle to get games play, in a game that isnt all that great, and be up to date on games, take a vacation and get nailed for all that work...

Either give the points back or give me the -50 reduction and send me on my way and relieve me of alot of headaches of running down people like I have the past 6 or 7 weeks..

There's a reason why there was only a third of the games played in this league... It's a boring game.. But I played em'. And im not getting penalized for going on vacation...

I dont mind taking a hit standing up for this... It's stupid... And quit all this garbage about how that we'll get the points back... that the ratings dont mean anything.. Why have the meter then... Why have the vacation thread... Your changing the whole process if thats the case...

No Streaming Account
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can I have the phillies back now?

Thanks

10. nosice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Usually i wouldnt post this.. I would just think it..

But that was a crime, account... I thought it was crime back then for you to lose that team just because a "tough call" was made.. "ill steal my favorite team"

You are right it is a video game website... That why you should realize how stupid it is for somebody to get penalized for taking a break from video games and everything else in the world...

No Streaming Account
  11. Golden Gophers

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think we should let this topic rest, but I have seen no support or acknowledgement from the Council or any Admins what so ever on this topic and I would be interested in what they have to say.....

No Streaming Account
  12. nosice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    they're split gophers...

No Streaming Account
  13. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The reliability meter was created to give the commissioner's and admins a tool to use to help keep track of members on the site and how well they were able to keep up with playing their games. At first, it was very easy for Tris10 and I to keep track of it because NHL and NFL were the only active team leagues going. Most of the guys in NHL were keeping up just fine, and NFL had only a couple of games per week and they played all of their games too, so it was no big deal.

However, after we added MLB, NCAA, a season of NFL where people were always behind, etc... the points needing to be put on and off got lost in the shuffle. Many people who had been docked but played games on time in future weeks weren't credited, and many people who should have been docked weren't (primarily due to the commish's not reporting who needed what each week, since we had to adjust each member manually).

One of the big reasons we created the "council" and brought Soad, Shush and TMG in as admins was to help with stuff like this and to spread the workload. I believe Tris10 is working on some way to automate the +/- points process so that we won't have to get a tally each week from the individual commish's. Until that time, I think Soad and TMG were going to head up some sort of reliability meter process to make it all streamlined so that the tool we intended to make our job easier would actually do so (instead, it's now just a headache). We're also going to look at the points being added and removed and see how appropriate they are for each league.

In the end though, the meter is simply a tool, nothing more, nothing less. It's not an absolute indicator of your status on the website/leagues, just a piece of data we may or may not look at when a new season rolls around. It's good to see people getting fired up about their meter getting low and taking some sense of pride of wanting it to remain 100% (especially while others don't seem to care if they get below 50%), but keep in mind that just because you might be under 100% doesn't mean you're a bad owner or you're going to get removed or something.

No Streaming Account
  14. The Original MP

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We know the purpose of the stupid meter. We want to know why we got docked for going on vacation!!!

No Streaming Account
  15. nosice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Xboxjon, I understand the reliability meter... And ive never been one of those people to get docked for anything... And the fact that it is not automated, means that there is somebody behind the controls that can say, "hey thats good reason, dont dock him" I mean if it was automated unless somebody put that i went on vacation, it would have got me... But because somebody else is doing the deducting, That's why im furious...

right now you can give points or takeaways points and that's the issue... So, I want my points back and if i dont get those games in then deduct all you want... I would understand.. But dont slap me in the face telling im unreliable because i took a vacation..

No Streaming Account
  16. The Original MP

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ditto. Ask shush and drake if you want... it's not like I've been sitting around just not playing games because I dont want to. One was because of vacation and the other was connections issues.

No Streaming Account
  17. GrandmasterB

GrandmasterB GRAPHIC ASSASSIN

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    The reliability meter is a judgement on whether or not you're accepted to a new league though isn't it? I could've sworn that I read that in the rules to enter the MLB league that reliability was one of the criteria for being in either the AAA or Major league.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but it seems like this issue is getting out of control. I think the first quality in being a commisioner of a league is to be somewhat understanding of individual situations. back in June I almost quit the league, because of personal issues that I won't get into here. But I thought about what it would do to my status here on the site, and to the league. If you guys keep pushing this reliability issue any further the league is going to fail. As commissioners (goalie), you need to look at the situation and make an honest judgement before handing out penalties. I say give them back their points, and set down a date to have the games made up...if they're not done by that date, then deal out the negative points.

No Streaming Account
  18. goalie

goalie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    we really do try to make good decisions - but some people ALWAYS feel their excuse is better than someone else's.

for 6 weeks, no penalties were assessed. too many people fell behind. now we are in catch-up mode. many people have fully caught up.

that is our goal - to not allow the league to fall apart due to inactivity. i feared (right around the all-star break) that if too many more people fell behind, we would never be able to get caught up.

i do see the complexities of the issue. i do feel that some people got hit on the meter and didnt REALLY deserve it.

but i also know that the meter is NOT A PERMANENT BLEMISH. it can be made up if you simply play the following week's games on time.

everybody got 6 weeks free - no judgments made, no questions asked. the penalties right now are harsh - but they are necessary until EVERYONE gets caught up.

we are getting much closer.

No Streaming Account
  19. mnkytrix

mnkytrix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think goalie has handled the situation with a tremendous amount of patients. As Jon said, the reliability meter is just a tool - it does not comment on the type of person you are. If you are so worried about it being knocked down, make sure you are in constant communication with us (pm's or im) and keeping us informed on the situation. We are not going to cut slack for someone going on vacation if he does nothing to try and get the games done ahead of time. If we really wanted to be difficult, we could make sure you are up to date on all your games before you start playing ahead - but we don't because we all know things come up and it's not imperative to play these games in order.

We want this league to be strong. It wasn't working the first half of the season because people weren't playing games, now you have an incentive to make sure all your games are finished on time - it's really not that big of a deal. We are going through a transition process and once we all get used to it, everything will be fine.

No Streaming Account
  20. nosice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    YOU TOOK THE POINTS YOU PUT'M BACK.. How's that...

you dont need to know the status of my week.. or anything like that.. I had everything undercontrol.. You treating me like a delinquent owner only makes it worse... Just put the points back, because you know im a good owner or give me the deduction let me go.. Simple as that...

You keep putting out this thing like its broad hit... IT's not... There was somebody manually entering these in. REMEMBER ITS not Automated...

SO funny that all the other commishes agreeing onthe fact that there shouldnt be any penalty doesnt rattle your brains to realize how stupid that is.

And furthermore... I was not a part of the 2/3 of the league that didnt play their games..So i didnt get any freebies or what have ya... I played them on time .. So when you get ready to settle this let me know.. I dont want to hear how this is or how that is.. JUst put the points back.. and we'll all be satisfied..

I know its not a permeant blemish.. but somebody knew it was me.. SO yes its personal... :!:

No Streaming Account
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.