ESports "What is CanAm"? PS4 Focused, rules, explanation, etc.

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL PSN)' started by Primetimme, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Primetimme

Primetimme You say run.

Ratings:
    +2,909 / 35 / -114
    Hello PS4. I am creating this thread to help any questions about the event that has been making its way around our community the past few days. CanAm. I'll be happy to leave this thread up for a few days to answer any lingering questions to the best of my ability that I have not answered in this thread.

I will also do my best to answer to differentiate what is going on in CanAm PS4 vs CanAm Xbox, as both will be running amongst side each other, and in name are the same, but are going to have shades of differences.

This thread, again, will focus on the PS4 side, and help introduce the vast majority of those here who may not have experienced CanAm before.

I'd also like to thank @Tcx7 who will be helping me run this entire competition as sorts of a "comissioner" role. He's letting me do all the talking.

"So Nick Klein and Rico, I've heard some things about CanAm, but what actually is CanAm?"

Canam was, and is the best of Canada vs America in a long internet hockey series. This is NOT the same thing as the regional tournament PS4 had before, and not the same as IHL where you choose 1 of 6 countries. This is based off where you currently live, that is your team. This is not America West, America East, America South, no. This is America, and canada. This event has been going on every year on xbox for as long as I can remeber, going back to when 6s was in it's infancy in NHL09 and 10. And event created by guys with names you probably never heard of, this event has been run and orchestrated by some of the best players ever to play this game. It initially was just a full on competition, a few years into it it became a way to "initiate gameplay" back into the game, usually Canam is ran in February to help generate interest back in NHL, when it's a little before halfway through the games life cycle.

How will this event differ from xbox and PS4?

PS4: This event has been ran, one (and a half) times on PS4 previously. The first true attempt im not even sure happened. If it did there was like 3 games played and people gave up, it's when ps4 was still brand new to LG. The 2nd attempt was ran during the xbox "Wave" comeover, which was a good and bad thing. The teams essentially became "how many rules can we stretch to get the best of xbox with ps4s to play each other?" Canada won in lobsided fashion, but between the poor execution of America (with yours truly involved) and just the "xbox" -ish feel it had, the event left alot to be desired.

(Insert xbox guy reading this thread saying WELL WHAT U R DOING ISNT CANAM DONT CALL IT THAT).
    k bye.

Ps4 will be a "PS4 focused" CanAm, we will be putting stipulations in place so this doesn't repeat the same as our previous mistakes. With that being said, it truly will not be the "best in the world vs each other" on this console, it will be the best players that we define as ps4 LGPSN players (more about that later).

So again, I want to stress, PS4's side will have some restrictions, so that we can focus on getting upper tier 6s going on PS4 to try and kick all your asses into playing club again. That is why it will have some stipulations behind who can and can't play.

Xbox: You will never change this event on Xbox like it or not. It is the best in the world vs the best in the world. Xbox is the more competitve console, don't believe me? Go buy an xbox with an xmas deal still on it and play for a season. I'll see you when you get back. Xbox has no restrictions, if you're from PS4 and make Xbox canam, it's seen as a good thing, unlike vice versa.

"Ok Nick Klein and Rico, CanAm sounds fun, Is this actually happening? And if so when can I signup, how do I tryout?"

Yes it's happening. I'm writing this currently because I told Brodie I'd get something out.

I'm looking to begin "official" tryouts after the holidays, possibly New Years Day, and I'm sure Canada is on the same train of time. I don't have an official date, but I'm looking to start this event in the middle of January on the PS4 side. I'm not sure how xbox will follow, maybe we'll go same days and alternate? Or later start point? Some small things we still need to iron out.

I will post a signup thread probably sometime this upcoming week for USA, as will Canada. CanAm may have its own section of the forums for signups which obviously you will need to do, but I will highly suggest is POSTING IN THE SIGNUP THREAD, AND GETTING IN TOUCH WITH ONE OF THE CAPTAINS.

If you sign up on only the website and hope we chase you down without making an effort to contact us, there's a very good chance you get missed. I'm just being honest.

THE RULES OF PARTICIPATING:
    -----------
    Right now it is:

"Played LGPSN this past season, or have played 3+ seasons and are signed up for next season".
    (This is a specific rule, however all captains and staff hold the right to deny a player participation if we feel they are not doing it to help PS4, even if they meet previous criteria. In this case if a ruling like that is made, said player will be made aware, as will the community).

This creates a small window where some guys may sign up and retire after LGPSN starts up. This is the one loophole this creates, and it is on the captains to make sure they don't bring in these questionable players to the teams, that may harm PS4 overall. Again, this is a ps4 event.

Also if you're currently serving a ban, RIP.
    ----------------

"K that's great. But you guys already know who you want, teams are 90% pre picked. And if not, I have not played with elites enough, I have no chance."

Teams are not 90% picked, I sat down and talked with a bunch of people, and made sure they had the right mindset before doing this as a captain, You can choose to believe me or not, but spots are wide open to be taken, and if you don't tryout, then you're only hurting yourself.

USA has 6 people as locks. 4 are the captains, 2 are players who were offered captain, didn't have time to do it, but want to help with the selection process. Everything else is open. Keep in mind in NHL18 and NHL19 this game has very little "player can win by himself" ability behind it. We are looking for the best players to compete on our roster, and in these games, chemistry WILL trump talent, if talent does not have chemistry. So my personal suggestion, go out and flag down some of your clubmates, get playing again, beat some of the "prepicked" american lines, then flag me down and say HEY PRIME, WE BEAT YOUR USA BOYS, if you open my eyes, I will give you your shot, I promise that to everyone I ever talk to in LG. Sometimes it works, sometimes you're stavio.

Tryout as a FORWARD LINE as a FORWARD LINE -1, or as a D PAIR, If we want to see players individually we will make that determination after seeing that. If you can't get any of the above, we will do our best to get you along side others who we are interested in.

I will also say, even if some of the "favorites" are picked when it's all said in done, it's rare to find a full line that are all the same nationality. Players A and B may be american, and need a player C. We will be COMBING Ps4 to find player c for that. Player C may need to be an elite goal scorer, or player C may need to be a two way player who doesn't get in the way. You do not have to be an elite to play in this competition.

Canam can also make or break known elites. I can't stop hearing about how last canam myself and nuge got shit on, whereas over the years many "up and coming" players have gotten their chance at CanAm, and launched their careers into becoming Pro Series champs that same year.

But, I'm not going to lie to ps4.

Will favorites be picked? Yes.
    Will Good players be cut? Yes.

It's bound to happen with some roster spots.

We're talking about 100-200 skaters mininmum per team, if it isn't popular, trying out. You may have a great reason why you should have made the team, and unfortunately you didn't. Sorry in advance.

"How will rosters look?"

4 Forward lines, 4 dpairs, and 4 goalies will be the "starting lineups" per country.
    1 Reserve forward line, d pair, and goalie per country.

I would like to have these positions similar to LG, locked in, but able to flip sides. That ends up being a staff determination.

These rosters will consist of the 4 captains for each country.

USA - @ScaryJoeyy @KingKonz- @Dxwny @Primetimme
    Canada - @P t P 10 @aREAP__ ,@x Braydenn , @KingClutch x 77

"Ok this all sounds cool, what are rules?"

here's a good link to follow -- https://www.leaguegaming.com/forums/index.php?threads/canam-rules.266813/

Some things will be different.

Ps4 won't enforce -- Each lineup (5 skaters) may only include a maximum of 2 players from the same ESHL team. Goalies are not included in this.

Pretty much LG rules, gametimes are TBD. Lines are matched how they would be in playoff series, with home team having matchup advantage.

Lagouts regardless position are solved at next whistle, not end of period.

Games are 2 aggregate games. Meaning 6 periods = 1 gp.

Home Ice advantage will go to the winner of an exhibition game. Traditionally it is reserve line vs reserve line.

All games must be streamed.

Ok so I've had enough typing.

If you have questions, please post here and we will answer as we see them.

Or discord me / rico (dont expect an immediate response, our discord will be blowing up)

Primetimme#5436
    Rico#2183

A couple personal comment notes.

Any "hate" you think these captains have for you are put aside. Everyone is being given a clean slate for trouts.

Please continue to talk about this, tryouts are word of mouth for those who don't frequent the forums alot.

We will do our best to generate streams of every game, Brodie is going to be using LG's Twitch as well. If anyone has any ideas they're welcome to start Media for this. We have already reached out to NoSleeves, but any and all hype is welcome.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 17
    • Winner Winner x 8
    Primetimme1
  2. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    LG McDonald#5572
    Ratings:
    +10,471 / 68 / -501
    I approve this message

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  3. JCoul

JCoul Well-Known Member

Discord:
    JCoul#9274
    Ratings:
    +223 / 2 / -8
    No Streaming Account
  4. ScaryJoeyy

ScaryJoeyy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +365 / 42 / -33
    roll states

• Like Like x 2
    ScaryJoeyy
  5. DomSquad100

DomSquad100 Hi Dad

Discord:
    DomSquad100#7793
    Ratings:
    +257 / 26 / -52
    Nick did a thing. Let's go :team342:

DomSquad100
  6. BowDownFB

BowDownFB all I see is GOLD

Ratings:
    +135 / 28 / -14
    I’m really looking forward to watching the games, nothing trumps watching the best of the best! upload_2018-12-16_0-33-30.png :team342:

7. Kingbling647

Kingbling647 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    King Bling#4183
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 70 / -145
    :team341:

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    KingBlingNHL
  8. nickyP1999

nickyP1999 West Coast Best Coast

Discord:
    NickyP#1999
    Ratings:
    +391 / 28 / -54
    nickyP1999
  9. Spooer69

Spooer69 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Spooer69#1668
    Ratings:
    +356 / 3 / -5
    look at the weebs, actually doing something with their lives. shoutout to @Tcx7

• Like Like x 1
    spooer69
  10. aREAP__

aREAP__ Death Wish Owner

Discord:
    REAP#2614
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -3
    aREAP__
  11. AgentSooksta008

AgentSooksta008 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,052 / 3 / -6
    Looks like you guys put a lot of thought into making this PSN exclusive and I like it. I'm down for a 7th canam. Always super fun

No Streaming Account
  12. stammerchel

stammerchel Well-Known Member

Discord:
    stammerchel#8489
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -5
    stammerchel
  13. Foote

Foote Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +575 / 10 / -29