What skills does a CHL defenseman need to make the AHL?

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL)' started by Mykezero, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Mykezero

Mykezero Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Mykezero#1500
    Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -2
    What skills does a CHL defenseman need to make the AHL? Been playing the CHL for a while but don't know how someone actually advances to the AHL.

Lots of hard questions here but:
    1. How do I get better as a defenseman if I have no good players to play with on a regular basis?
    2. What skills differentiate a CHL defenseman from an AHL defenseman?
    3. How does one practice those skills?

Looking at this forum, no one has really asked/answered this question but it's at the front of my mind.

• Like Like x 3
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    mykezero
  2. Barks l21l

Barks l21l Admirals GM

Discord:
    i Nylander l#8101
    Ratings:
    +405 / 35 / -39
    I'd start off with trying to play with AHL guys more in club and getting some chem with guys. The biggest difference I see with CHL dman when I scout for the draft is that only a select few know how to support zone entries and carrying the puck when playing a trap. The other thing is learning what people call the "biggie cuts" and how to defend them as a dman cause that's all most AHL and NHL teams look for now it seems!

• Like Like x 9
    lNylanderl
  3. Mykezero

Mykezero Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Mykezero#1500
    Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -2
    Great feedback, what options are available for supporting zone entries and carrying the puck on the trap? I do move/walk the puck up, but I'm sure there's more to it than that. Any chance you could explain the "biggie cuts"? I did notice the last time I played an NHL time, I could not let them cut to the slot in the middle, otherwise, it was a guaranteed goal.

mykezero
  4. Cross_X_Check

Cross_X_Check Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 123 / -201
    Also making proper reads on what players could possibly do. Knowing to either be slightly conservative if you have a winger whom does not know how to back check or whether to attack at your defensive blue line because you know your forwards always help out on the back check and have your back if you choose wrong. Also proper reads on pinching in the offensive zone to keep the play alive or to get back to avoid what could be an odd man rush. Never allow breakaways or keep them to a severe minimal. Dont poke check when players when they LT and put their backs to you. Play the body.

• Like Like x 3
    cross_x_check
  5. Jenk

Jenk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +253 / 18 / -35
    The biggest difference I see from an AHL vs. CHL Dman is breakouts. Personally, from what I have seen, half the D in the AHL can't even breakout the puck when there is a need to do more than a simple pass up the boards. Some teams run the trap and you need to get creative as a D man with your zone entries. The issue is that some forwards do not make the proper cuts or do not know how to make cuts but that is a whole other issue in itself.

Second biggest point is positioning in the defensive zone. Understanding when to clamp on the blue, when to fall back, reading your center supporting you up the middle, reading seam or around the boards passes etc. Lots of quick decisions you need to make to optimize your positioning in the defensive zone. For example, I notice that some Dman will back up into their own goalie on every 3on2 or 2on2. While this strategy may be fairly low risk and effective at times, you'll get burned against higher skilled forwards. There are also some Dman that just bum rush everything in sight, which can often put you out of position and cause odd-man rushes.

Honestly, best way to actually get better is to play high level 1v1. If you keep running with CHL calibre players, it will be more difficult to learn how to play a more skilled style. Most NHL/AHL guys prefer to play with guys their own caliber and will "ego" CHL players. My thought process is that playing HUT Champs, versus cash games/tournaments etc. typically leads to playing better players, learning their tricks and you'll soon realize that you will need to increase your individual stick skill and vision, which will make you a better player overall. Having these traits will land you opportunities at the AHL and NHL level.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    No Streaming Account
  6. Mr WorldWlde 69

Mr WorldWlde 69 LG Mcdonald is the best!

Discord:
    Mr WorldWlde 69#5585
    Ratings:
    +2,300 / 563 / -1,177
    Main thing is to play simple. Use the boards with saucer passes for breakouts. Stay between the man and your net when defending and don’t take penalties. Slow down the other teams forwards so your forwards can help support you stealing the puck off the opposing team.

• Like Like x 4
    No Streaming Account
  7. Pooder Zero

Pooder Zero Musty Pooder

Discord:
    daddypooder#0
    Ratings:
    +1,163 / 9 / -45
    • You should only play 1 of 3 builds: TWD, GRINDER, or TWF
    • All players should have wired connection and be using a gaming monitor.
    • Defense should use the camera: ZONE, in order to see to the opponents blue line for the passes that matter.
    • DO NOT PLAY THE POSITION, play the guy at your position. I can't stress it enough, rub your butt all over the guy. Bump Bump Bump. TIE HIM UP.
    • Organize how to play with your center. He should be taking your spot when you go behind the net.
    • FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, YOU ARE NOT A FORWARD.
    • The defense DO NOT need to cross the blue line when the forwards are trying to cross the blueline. GUESS WHAT HAPPENS IF WE LOSE THE PUCK.
    • DO NOT CHASE.
    And that is half the battle.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  8. TheCloud IX

TheCloud IX Well-Known Member

Discord:
    cloudicus#0
    Ratings:
    +428 / 21 / -34
    1. How do I get better as a defenseman if I have no good players to play with on a regular basis?

I would say that playing with bad people on a “regular basis” isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It helps in a way to be more self sufficient and not depend on forwards to bail you out on mistakes. So, you will start to learn how to defend rush’s, zone entries, and reading plays to help your team out more since you will be facing a lot of them. I think playing with top tier players all the time starts to develop bad habits because you can be a little bit more careless with your decisions since your team can bail you out consistently.

2. What skills differentiate a CHL defenseman from an AHL defenseman?

Everyone has there different play styles that work in the A to help contribute, some being more successful than others.
    It depends on your skill set, who you are playing with at forward, who your D-Partner is, and the chemistry you have with them. I would also say the difference from a CHL Defenseman and AHL Defenseman is being able to recognize set plays and what the other team is looking for on breakouts and in your zone. Cycling tends to be more relevant when playing higher competition, so understanding where you need to be and how you can contribute in your D-zone will go a long way. Now, offensively the most popular play style is a 2-way Defenseman who can jump up in a play as needed to help contribute on offense while at the same time not costing defensively in doing so. There is also a “Defensive Dman” type of play style that relies on breakouts and solid plays at the point in the Ozone to be successful. It all depends on you on how you wanna contribute and knowing what your limitations are.

3. How does one practice those skills?

Club overtime will help with everything and playing against people who are better than you will expose you to different play styles and how to defend them overtime. If you are trying to work on breakouts and zone entry, versus and HUT are probably one of the best ways to go since you solely rely on yourself to make things happen.

this being said, it’s on you to know what your faults are and how you go about on improving them. That being said, I think the majority of AHL talent are more than happy to help you in anyway they can so I would get familiar with the AHL community and start trying to get into some club games with the guys.

Good luck and I hoped this help in some way.

• Like Like x 6
    mrcloudicuss
  9. Boogie x6

Boogie x6 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +566 / 15 / -15
    When I play center there are 3 big things I notice between CHL and upper league Dmen...

1) CHLer chase in the defensive zone. They can’t score from the corners so don’t chase out there. Hold your post until you have to cover someone that’s a scoring threat.

2) CHLers don’t pressure at the blue line. It doesn’t mean go for a hit every time and get burnt, it means make them think you’re going to do something in the small space they have available. It leads to alot of forced broken passes or dumps instead of easy zone entries.

3) breakouts. Everyone above covered it but the best way into the zone isnt always forward.

• Like Like x 3
    No Streaming Account
  10. ChiSouthSiderr

ChiSouthSiderr Well-Known Member

Discord:
    chisouthsiderr#0
    Ratings:
    +881 / 224 / -237
    I think the biggest difference with AHL vs CHL defensemen is being able to handle the puck in the neutral zone and the Ozone. Breakouts are really important in the higher levels since the trap is more prevalent. Also not just shooting it every time you are fed the puck on the point, take a look around and see if there is a better scoring chance available.

• Like Like x 1
    ChiSouthSiderr
  11. bigdiskk

bigdiskk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 3 / -3
    If you're like me and have a very limited toolbox regarding puck skills, playing D is all about optimizing your team's puck possession.

Having good positioning and gap control to maximize takeaways
    Simplifying your plays to minimize giveaways... less is more

The hardest part is to change your mindset to be as selfless as possible. Half the job is away from the puck and away from the play: obviously you need to be covering passing lanes, but having the good body movement / rotation / angle to make the opposing players look for offense elsewhere is key.

A few things I find help a lot:
    • Zone camera
    • Turn on color indicators for the opposing team. This is extremely useful (and I promise you'll only hate it for a few games)
    • Take a few seconds after each game to review every goal your team let in, and ask yourself what you could have done better.
    • If possible, also rewatch each of your league game streams, and try to see how you can improve in different situations (around your net, your breakout, defensive blueline management, etc)
    • Also watch streams of the best dmen (that play your side): see what build they use, how to play situations that give you trouble
    • Stop blaming the game. It sucks for everyone just the same :)
    Oh, and also... stop fixating the puck. Instead try to see the whole ice and keep a mental map of where the 12 guys are, and where they're going. This helps a lot with positioning, situation awareness and it cuts down your reaction time. As others mentioned, playing hut/versus is probably the best way to improve your vision

As to how to get an AHL contract, well it's gonna be all about how good your stats are, or about who you know. Don't despair if your stats aren't stellar tho, every manager would sign a great bargain dman to a 3 season 500K contract; just gotta get on their map - but you know that already, it's basically the whole point of your post right? ;-)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    bigdiskk
  12. PieR Talent

PieR Talent Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,803 / 87 / -178
    Insert eggplant emoji into mouth to get a spot

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    No Streaming Account
  13. xWolf29x

xWolf29x I'm going to have to put you on hold

Ratings:
    +203 / 9 / -20
    Gap control. I see it way too often when chl d give too much space to wingers on the blue line and let them do whatever they want. Be wary of slap plays, aka omahas. Be wary of cut pass down the middle (it's your ass if it gets through)learn consistent breakouts, and don't try to jam it up the boards every time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  14. Trae x8

Trae x8 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    trae#0
    Ratings:
    +469 / 37 / -87
    Saying saucer pass up the boards is just encouraging people to not learn how to breakout or be comfortable with the puck. Good players will notice your only move is to throw it up the boards. Heres my opinion playing way too much of this game over the years and having multiple experiences as an ahl defenseman:

-Be comfortable controlling the puck in any zone. This is hands down the biggest difference I see in defenseman taking the next step. I constantly see chl dmen that are probably solid enough on the defensive side of the puck to make the next step but what good is getting the puck back if you turn it over in your own zone for quality chances against? Im definitely not saying play 4th forward but you should be offensively capable, especially when teams are trapping. You will need to be able to carry and move the puck to assist zone entries for your guys. Once you are in the zone be comfortable with the puck at your blue line cause if teams collapse in the slot your forwards might start sending the puck your way and if they do you wanna be comfortable enough that you can get shots on net or keep the possession going. If your forwards cant trust you to not lose it for a breakaway or an oddman then you are just handicapping yourself. If you arent comfortable make it a point to work on.

-Play a lot of games so you can divert your brainpower towards the bigger picture of the play. With repetition you just naturally start to do things without much attention and it allows you to read the whole ice. You want to be able to control your guy without having to tunnel vision. Then you will start to read the cut plays and be able to see where you should position at any given time.

- When defending the rush your biggest goal is just to slow the guy down till help arrives in most cases. No need to be a hero and get burnt for a goal against. Same goes for allowing breakaways, keep their players in front of you and you dont have to worry about it. As you get more experience you will start to see the times where you know you can take it from them without putting yourself in a bad spot.

On top of what ive said most of it will come if you play with and against better players. You gotta go outside your comfort zone and play the harder teams cause thats when you learn the most. Then when you come back and play the teams you are used to playing, you are gonna clamp them. If you dont make mistakes then you have nothing to learn from.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SchaefaXIV

SchaefaXIV G.O.A.T, Chat Presence

Discord:
    Schaefa#6956
    Ratings:
    +576 / 72 / -87
    Become a chat presence, become the absolute GOAT in the chatbox it’s a game changer... I wouldn’t of been an NHL defenseman for a few games without my chat presence.

• Like Like x 1
    Schaefa14
  16. KrawcH v2

KrawcH v2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +652 / 20 / -22
    I have zero advice because I’m an awful dman, but the community could use a lot more guys who are open to getting better and improving. That goes a long way. In the championship teams I’ve managed, the biggest key to success wasn’t always skill, but rather chemistry and coachability. All the advice above is great. If you’re ever looking to get some games in with AHL guys, hit me up.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    krawch61
  17. Berube x 9

Berube x 9 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +652 / 53 / -42
    Watch lemelin or one of the top defensive players and look at how they control their gaps if you clamp kids who cares how good you are at breakouts just be patient and learn how to protect the puck with your body

No Streaming Account
  18. a tribe cq

a tribe cq Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -2
    were you just nice to a CHL defensemen?....ew

• Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  19. TPForMyBungCole

TPForMyBungCole Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +154 / 12 / -15
    1. Learn proper positioning. It's 90% of the game and will eliminate half of the "EA Goals."
    2. Breakouts are key and need to learn when to move puck up fast, sauce off boards, carry it, bubble forecheckers, etc...
    3. Always be on top of your man in your zone on defense and learn when to switch, replace, etc...
    4. Play against good players so you learn the cuts, rotations, cycles, etc...
    5. DEFENSE IS A 5 MAN TEAM GAME.
    6. When in doubt, simple play is the route.
    7. Poke check is trash, but stick lift is highly underrated when done correctly.

• Winner Winner x 2
    No Streaming Account
  20. Maverxck

Maverxck Twitch.tv/mav_live

Ratings:
    +117 / 14 / -21
    I went to reply to this post and saw nothing but great and genuinely positive responses all covering most of the points I was gonna make. So I’ll just say it’s really great to see nothing but positivity and support from a community that has been notoriously quite toxic towards guys trying to get better. Keep it up boys

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Mav_Live