Anyone thinking of DirecTV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by pop0331, Oct 4, 2007.

1. pop0331

pop0331 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey all

I just started my new career as a DirecTV installer, we can make extra $$$ from sales as well. Full advertising rights Worldwide!!!

I'd really appreciate if anyone's thinking of getting or even knows anyone who is, just let me know and I'll have a referral number they could use. Doesn't get ya's any discounts, but it sure as hell helps me :mrgreen:

Thanks Tris for letting me post this!

--pop

**edit, I forgot, we also have rights for ADT alarm system sales as well ;)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
    No Streaming Account
  2. GrandmasterB

GrandmasterB GRAPHIC ASSASSIN

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    When I decide to dump Comcast I'll give you a shout pop.

No Streaming Account
  3. BLaz

BLaz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I miss DirecTV. Cant stand this Time Warner Digital Cable crap.

No Streaming Account
  4. pop0331

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They've added tons of HD channels, lots more by the end of the year from what they're telling us. Supposedly anywhere's from 120-150 total in installments of like 8 at a time. There's loads of stuff I can't say due to confidentiality aggreements and all, but exciting stuff in the future guys, all I could really say.

Have to say though, I now have a newfound appreciation for SAT and cable installers, not being used to hopping around rooftops and all, this job's pretty scary. If I all of a sudden stop posting here for a few weeks or so, I probably just fell off a roof :-&

No Streaming Account
  5. bones56

bones56 Retired Commissioner

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have direct tv and for the most part I am fairly happy. I am waiting for all of these new HD channels. I can't wait!!!

No Streaming Account
  6. pop0331

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No Streaming Account
  7. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you have any magic for getting a signal thru trees? I have the Sunday Ticket but every year i have to wait until mid October for the leaves to fall before i can get a signal...

No Streaming Account
  8. bones56

bones56 Retired Commissioner

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yup, I moved last october and they made me get the 5 LNB dish. So I am all set. But I have the same issue as Drake with the leaves on the trees. All of the sudden this summer I started having problems and then realized that the damn leaves started to interfere with my signal. That is why I use the word fairly happy with Dtv. Shortly the leaves will be falling!! but thanks pop for your concerns.

No Streaming Account
  9. pop0331

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I literally just started this week, but I'll definately ask around. I do know that pretty much anything gets in the way of the dish then you'll get that. You might just need a signal adjustment.

Yesterday was my first day in the field with a tech, 2 out of the 4 jobs just needed a slight adjustment of a few millimeters and it was fine.

One thing I could tell you to check for is if you have any barrels along your wire run. They look like this and connect a coax cable to eachother.

http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/ac/bc/45f5_1.JPG

The old one's still give you a great picture, but they were meant for cable, they downgrade the bandwidth you are receiving from the signal. . The new one's we're built for SAT and give the full bandwidth your supposed to get. I saw the change in picture from this just yesterday and it was just incredible.

If you have these let me know and I'll make sure you have the right one. A pic would probably be great

I'll do my best to help any of you guys out, feel free to ask. Just remeber, I work for a contractor to DirecTV, not DirecTV itself

No Streaming Account
  10. ExArmySgt

ExArmySgt <b>Madden NFL Commissioner </b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My wife and I have discussed it but what keeps us away is the upfront cost. With TWC, we have two HD receivers and one is a DVR that records two shows at once. We have to pay a rental fee but if it breaks or goes bad, we simply exchange it out. I got an offer in the mail that would allow us to get a free upgrade to either a DVR or HD box, not both which is what we'd want.

Any ideas or suggestions on this?

No Streaming Account
  11. pop0331

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, that I'm not sure if I can help with, I know that that's the current deal right now, free for either a DVR or HD box, the HD-DVR I believe is $199 after $100 rebate, kinda sucks but I guess they're trying to get rid of all the old boxes and then make you upgrade in the future to the HD-DVR box.

There's always new deals though, I will find out what I can.

As far as equipment malfunctioning goes, I'd highly recommend anyone with DirecTV or getting it to get the protection plan. It's $5.99 a month but pays for anytime someone's got to go to your house for anything wrong. If you don't have a plan, it'll cost you $70 just for us to knock on your door. Also, if you do get the plan, don't do it over the phone, the only way to get a locked price for the $5.99 month is to do it by a workorder from a technician. If you do it over the phone, for some reason they don't have to lock that price in.

No Streaming Account
  12. NEODARK

NEODARK Hakuna Matata

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is DirecTV finally displaying REAL HDTV or just their crap version of HD-Lite (1280x1080i)?

Even with the new bird, will they have enough bandwidth?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/11/the-engadget-hd-interview-directvs-cto-re-hd-lite/

No Streaming Account
  13. GrandmasterB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    That is one difference I noticed when my neighbor had DirectvHD; the picture he was receiving was definitely lower quality than what I had with cable.

No Streaming Account
  14. NEODARK

NEODARK Hakuna Matata

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The other thing that irks me, is the whole "you need a land line" to hook up the service..

They really push you to have one. I use a VoIP line, and have 2 cellphones (company/personal) I really don't need another stupid phone :p

No Streaming Account
  15. theDrummerJ99

theDrummerJ99 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    theDrummerJ99#6215
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -7
    I currently have Direct, maybe heading to Dish before long though. According to Dish I'll be able to receive Jackets games on FSN Cincy, where as right now on Direct it is blacked out. So after the freeview, if my uncle (who lives in the same city & has dish) can get the Jackets on FSN Cincy, I'll probably be switching unless Direct can give me a good reason why it's blacked out. I'm also not happy about the new HD crap, I just spent $1000 for my HD DVR about 3-4 years ago. I can not receive the new HD channels on the HR 10-250. So I have to spend another $300+ to be able to watch new the new channels. I've talked to Direct 3-4 times and they aren't willing to help me with the cost of it, so screw em.

drummerJ99
  16. NEODARK

NEODARK Hakuna Matata

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I paid $600 once to buy a DTV HD-receiver when it was all coming out originally. I only used it for a year, but yeah.

Eating the equipment cost really blows.

No Streaming Account
  17. GrandmasterB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    I've been weighing the options. I currently pay Comcast $24/month for the two DVRs I have now from them, plus another $6.95/month for the secondary receiver. Which comes to $371.40/year for leasing their boxes. I guess you have to choose what you're comfortable with. $299 up front for the HD-DVR or paying $300+ to lease a box from the cable provider. My wife bocks at the up front cost...I'm with her on that one.

No Streaming Account
  18. theDrummerJ99

Discord:
    theDrummerJ99#6215
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -7
    Just wanting to make sure that you do realize after you spend $300 for the new DirecTV HD DVR, it is not yours to own. You are leasing it. If you want to own the equipment expect to pay $600+.

drummerJ99
  19. jcon77

jcon77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think the service fees are crap too. Its their equipment, and they should have to look at it at no extra charge whenever it screws up. I have cable, with all the HD channels available, and every channel except the premium movie networks, with an HD-DVR for abour 90 a month. That includes cable internet. Anytime something screws up, if they can't fix it over the phone they come out for free. Screw it if I miss some NFL or Buckeye games, the Dish crap is just ridiculous. And Jeffrey, do you live outside Columbus? I get Jackets games on CSN(Columbus sports network) and FSN Ohio(I think its out of Cleveland). I have Time Warner.

No Streaming Account
  20. theDrummerJ99

Discord:
    theDrummerJ99#6215
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -7
    Yeah I live in Southeastern Indiana. I'm about 3 to 3 1/2 hours from Columbus. Yet the Jackets are still the closest team to my house and according to DirecTV I should have to pay for Center Ice to watch them.

drummerJ99