Playoff line matching debate

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by brandonbramanti, Aug 7, 2015.

?

Does it matter playing 3rd line game 1 or game 4 in a best of 7 series?

1. Yes it matters

100.0%
  2. No it doesnt make a difference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. EliteBe4TheKids

EliteBe4TheKids Well-Known Member

Discord:
    elitebe4thekids#0
    Ratings:
    +459 / 1,376 / -1,549
    Vote and explain.
    I don't think line matching matters. the debate was playing your 3rd line early and getting them out of the way game one is more beneficial than playing them game 4. We are 7th seed and dont have final say in game 1 or 2 line matching.

The persons stance was, play them game 1. if they lose were only down 1-0 and their game is out of the way, instead of playing them game 4. Bc if we're already down 2-1 and line 3 lossses.now we're down 3-1, and would have to win 3 games in a row to win the series.

my argument was, its the same thing no matter what game they play. they are only playing 1 out of 4 games either way, whether it's Game 1 or game 4 it has 0 effect.

My stance is, no matter what game they play, if you use the same logic the series is still the same outcome. Meaning if the third line plays game 1 and losses since you assumed they lost with your logic, you're down 1-0. and you also assumed with your logic, that lines 1 and 2 went 1-2. so therefore the series is still us being down 3-1 going into Game 5, and you still need to win three games in a row to win the series.

So whether line 3 plays game 1 or game 4, we would still be down 3 games to 1 and need to win three in a row so how am I not understanding this? or am I correct? All advice and input is appreciated. Bc in not sure if im mot understanding something or they arent. Just curious to hear other peoples thoughts.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    ridleywr24cb
  2. CarneyeVORE

CarneyeVORE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +464 / 28 / -20
    While "war gaming" line vs line matchups, there is always going to be a debate to where you throw out your less productive lines.

However in my opinion, if you don't give yourself the best chance to win EVERY game, then you are conceding defeat right away.

Example:
    If you throw you "3rd line" to the wolves, strictly based on the "get it outa the way mentality, you are shooting yourselves in the foot right off the bat.
    1.) By doing that, you are not only showing that you have zero confidence in your 3rd line, which takes a mental toll on those players, automatically putting them in a were going to lose any way mentality.
    2.) You never want to start any series down by 1

By giving your team the best possible chance every game, you:
    1.) Show confidence in all skaters, which then is reciprocated in turn on the ice.
    2.) By not conceding defeat right off the bat, your team has a much stronger chance in making a close game go your way.

My 2 cents

• Like Like x 1
    wizard0fozzy
  3. EliteBe4TheKids

EliteBe4TheKids Well-Known Member

Discord:
    elitebe4thekids#0
    Ratings:
    +459 / 1,376 / -1,549
    [MENTION=11929]Wizard0f Osgood[/MENTION] , while i agree about your response. I just was meaning, do you believe the odds of winning the series change from playing your 3rd line in game 1 or game 4? Because to me i dont think it influences the series no matter who plays what game.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    ridleywr24cb
  4. CarneyeVORE

CarneyeVORE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +464 / 28 / -20
    Hidden in the Grey area of my response, I do think that it changes the outcome of the series. Per the reasons listed above.

wizard0fozzy
  5. AJ9191

AJ9191 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Line matching absolutely critical in the playoffs. It can make or break a series. It's where good management decisions pay off. And, in an ideal world you don't have a "3rd" line. Of course its' all based on the two teams playing and the talent each side has.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account