Timed release of next weeks schedule

Discussion in 'Suggestions & feedback' started by woobwoob, Jul 22, 2003.

1. woobwoob

woobwoob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Timed release of nex

In order to allow more people to play in more leagues, specificly those who have busy schedules, I had a thought.

Each week, 12:00 AM on Sunday or Monday morning, the calculator would release next weeks schedule and at the end of week 5 (using the hockey league as an example) you would also get your next set of wildcards. You would still be able to see what games you have played and if you are behind, you would still be able to play those games as well.

I am not a big fan of knowing the entire schedule from week 1 because:

1- A lot of people who have more time to devote to gaming will finish way early and have many weeks until the playoffs start and may get rusty and not play as well as they would have if they had had a consistant schedule.

2- I personally take a slower approach at my games and try to stick with the weeks and not get too far ahead. But we are in week 4 of hockey and I already have people wanting to play week 8 games. I'll play em, but it just kinda seems like the week format has no purpose if you are going to sprint through your games like that.

I think this suggestion may have merit because:

1- It would be kinda cool to have a surprise every week, not knowing until the last minute who you are going to play. (That leagues commish would know of course).

2- Right now this suggestion is more of a moodpoint, but once we have 6+ leagues, I think we are going to run into serious scheduling issues with our current format. This would give everyone the ability to say ok, I have to play 3 games of hockey, and 3 games of Football this week. Sure I can join the Topspin league and still keep up.

3- Calculator stats would have more meaning, right now there are people who have played 10+ more games than me and of course they are in first. And we wouldn't be put in a situation where the people who sprinted through the schedule would have to just sit back and watch their team fall in the standings and not be able to do anything about it. I look at the scoreboards now and don't feel too much competition at the moment because people are so far ahead that there isn't a sense that we are all ranked on a level playing field.

4- This would allow for more "exhibition/challenge" events for the team sports. I know we don't currently do this, but it is a feature of the site I would like to incorporate in the future.

what do you guys think about this? I would dig it.

No Streaming Account
  2. Raptor710

Raptor710 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sounds like you have put alot of thought into this woob. But I have also had the same thought about it. Was wondering what was the point of having set weeks if we just play them when we want. I vote for woobs Idea.

No Streaming Account
  3. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Timed release of

Tris10 wanted the open format (where you could play ahead) for NHL2k3 so that those of us that were excited to play alot of games could (which would draw more activity to the website) but the schedule is still there as a minimum requirement for people that want to go slower and on pace, and not get rusty. If we had enforced a "no playing ahead" policy, it may have squelched some enthiusiasm in the league.

The other reason for the doing the schedule like we did, is for flexiblity in getting your games done. With the summer vacations and everyone different work schedules, being able to play ahead when you need to allows you to get games in easier.

Yes, the stats/standings are irrelevant if we aren't all on the same pace, but as we get further into the season it will all even out.

I do think we could do something like you are suggesting for future season though, since we'll have many more leagues to be involved with.

No Streaming Account
  4. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also, we'll need to hear from Tris10 to see if a time released schedule would be programmable or not? (or even if it is, if it's too much work to bother with).

No Streaming Account
  5. DeNMaN

DeNMaN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it is a good idea but I would hope that the people we get in the leagues would be able to manage their time. With the addition of more leagues I think we will need to keep it kind of open to allow for conflicting schedules with current weeks games. So if you are currently caught up on all games and you won't be around for say a week it would still be nice to get the games in that you can as long as the others are caught up.

I would suggest just making it to where you can't advance weeks unless your opponent is also ready to advance and that would slow certain league play down especially with the addition of the new hyped leagues in the near future.

No Streaming Account
  6. woobwoob

woobwoob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

No Streaming Account