whats the difference

Discussion in 'MLB 16: The Show' started by canucks33, Apr 10, 2004.

1. canucks33

canucks33 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    can some explain to me in "lay man" terms about these:

Batting AIM:

- cursor
    - timed
    - true aim

Batting Swing:

- classic
    - 2 buttons

thanks. :wink:

No Streaming Account
  2. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: whats the differ

Batting AIM:

- cursor - referred to as "missle command" batting in jest. Basically, there's a icon on the screen that you move around and have to lineup where the pitch is going to be thrown to. You can move this around as the pitch is coming, but most find this to be more arcadish and less "sim". A real batter follow the ball to a general location, not a specific 6" circle in front of him. They aim high/low/outside/inside with the bat. Not 6" off the plate, 8" from the knees with a "cursor" in their mind.

- timed - no aiming required at all. Just time the speed of the pitch and if your hitter can reach it, you'll make contact. A very simple hitter interface, most serious sim. players would not waste their time with this. Let your kids play with this mode.

- true aim - a combination of both, but not the pinpoint precision of cursor batting. You need to have good timing of course, but you move the stick in the general location of where the ball is going, it doesn't have to be a pinpoint 6" circle area like with cursor batting. There's no cursor on the screen showing where you are aiming. If a ball is low and away, you "go with the pitch" and swing low and away by pointing the left analog stick down there along with swinging the bat with the button. Most "sim" style games incorporate this type of hitting interface, which was originally used by the best game ever (High Heat for the PC).

Batting Swing:

- 2 buttons - one button for a contact swing, another for a power swing. If you choose a contact swing, your ability to make contact with the ball (room for error in location) will increase. If you choose a power swing, the contact zone will decrease in favor of increase power that you will hit the ball with (if you are accurate with the location).

- classic - 1 button to swing the ball. No risk/reward system like with the 2 button system. The contact zone that your batter will have is more a reflection of the hitters ratings/attributes and will not increase/decrease in size based on what style of swing (like with contact/power) you select.

No Streaming Account
  3. Erbs

Erbs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Willoman changed the pitch speed to "real" as opposed to fast. Whats the deal with that? I didnt notice a big difference, i had been playing on 'fast'

No Streaming Account
  4. canucks33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

thanks jon, just a followup question:

what you mean by

- low and away
    - go with the pitch (is it the literal meaning or a lingo)

No Streaming Account
  5. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You must not know baseball at all I guess? :shock:

Low and away - meaning, the pitch is delivered low and away from the hitter (a hard to hit pitch... they have to reach out to get it, usually resulting in non-optimal contact at the end of the bat assuming they can even reach it)

Go with the pitch - if the pitch is inside, swing inside. If it's outside, swing outside. If you try and pull an outside pitch, you'll probably hit a weak popup. If you instead swing outside and push the ball, you'll probably get a base hit through the opposite side of the field.

Erbs - is that option available online? I saw it offline, but always left the pitch speed on real.

No Streaming Account
  6. canucks33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

you guess it right jon.... :laugh: i played last year MVP though. but this will be my first time in Baseball competing against other people. thanks jon :wink:

No Streaming Account
  7. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you played MVP last year, you should for sure know what that stuff means then, as the "true aim" hitting style in ESPN is very similar to how it works in MVP (watch that Harold Reynolds tutorial video in MVP for help about this kind of stuff).

No Streaming Account