X360 HDD Upgrade

Discussion in 'Xbox / Xbox 360 Lounge' started by murph17, Feb 18, 2009.

1. murph17

murph17 Puff, Puff, Pass, Score!

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    has anyone manually upgraded to the 120GB HDD (not the official MS $150 upgrade)? thoughts? pointers? helpful tips?

i think it's time. since copying RB2 to the HDD, i have less than 2GB free. which leaves me room for 1 demo at a time...or possibly GTA4 DLC. F Bill's overpriced upgrades though.

murph17
  2. Staggzilla

Staggzilla Straight Cash Homie

Ratings:
    +143 / 0 / -4
    Dude when you figure out how to do this - I want to know as well - I have the same issue 3.2 gb free

No Streaming Account
  3. murph17

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    i think i might just bite the bullet and buy on ebay. there are "buy it now" new HDD for $100. regular auctions are ending at $90-110.

there are TONS of "bootleg" 120GB hard drives on ebay. "tested and confirmed to work", yada, yada, yada. most of these don't come with the transfer cable however. that's another $20-30. i would have to pick one of these up if i went the D.I.Y route as well.

for $99 i can get a new in box 120GB HDD with the transfer cable. the cable can then be sold on ebay for $20-30. plus i have $20 PayPal credit thanks to a Gamefly referral. so really it's like $50-60 out of pocket for me. and no worries about being Billy-Banned.

murph17
  4. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    Im also with stagg, if there is a reasonable way to get an upgraded hdd without buying those super expensive ms ones, im all in

5. murph17

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    it can be done. the specific drive you need is only like $50. here are two walk-throughs i found.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html

http://www.gamerwok.com/archives/786

there are a couple of catches however...
    1) #1 and most importantly...MS will probably know you did this. you have to flash the firmware. in doing this, you will be "cloning" a valid 120GB HDD serial #. MS probably has the ability to see this and when a few hundred people all have the same serial #...it becomes obvious to them.

2) however, it does NOT appear that MS is banning people for JUST doing this. those getting banned are modding or copying game saves while they are at it. i read reports of people who DIY like 2 years ago with no problems since.

3) if you go the DIY route, you have 2 choices
    a) manually copy game saves from old HDD > memory card > new HDD and re-download all DLC
    OR b) borrow/buy transfer cable (which adds another $20 or so to DIY price). and if you go this route, you need another X360 HDD case

i think Ebay is the way to go. you can knock $50 off the price, down to $100, then sell the transfer kit for another $20-30 back. just read the auctions carefully and make sure you are getting an authentic new HDD with the cable - there are lots of "bootleg" HDD's out there.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
    murph17
  6. murph17

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    PS - you can sell your 20GB HDD for another $25 or so off your final price.

murph17
  7. whatsUPitsFARVA

whatsUPitsFARVA Katy Perry. NEW HOTNESS!

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think ill wait till E3 this year and see if microsoft has any plans at releasing a HDD option that makes sense. paying over a dollar/GB is crazy. If sony made it possible to switch out HDD's in their machine, why couldnt microsoft? ill cross my fingers and wait.

and if it doesnt work out. ill get to feed into the microsoft piggy bank. YAY!

No Streaming Account
  8. murph17

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    hahaha! that's a good one Farva! why would M$ let you do that when they have all the X360 owners by the short hairs and are making a KILLING on "officially licensed" accessories? it's part of their business plan and why the X360 is making $$ for them. Sony went the consumer-friendly way, but it's costing the company as a whole.

murph17
  9. whatsUPitsFARVA

whatsUPitsFARVA Katy Perry. NEW HOTNESS!

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    SHHHHHHHH im trying to be optimistic here. Im kind of hoping that MS will feel bad for raping me and many others for the wireless adapter. pluuuus maybe if there is a huge chunk of people like me out there who wait it out, they will realize they would make much more money selling a cheaper version or the ones they have for cheaper, than they would continuing to sell it for more than $1/GB. just wishful thinking, i know but maybe it will happen. . . or not.

No Streaming Account
  10. JLHockeyKnight

JLHockeyKnight S6 Providence Bruins GM

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just to check, I'm sure you did but just in case you didn't.

I went in recently and deleted all the crap content that came with the Xbox initially when I bought it (lots of videos and game demos) and cleared about 2 gigs. Did you try this?

No Streaming Account
  11. brokenpost510

brokenpost510 on vacation

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i picked up a 120 gib harddrive at gamestop for like $80 used all i did was call ms for the free kit.

No Streaming Account
  12. murph17

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    got my 120GB HDD yesterday. $100 on Ebay.

after selling the transfer cable (any LG'er need one?) on Ebay, my out of pocket price should be about $50. wasn't worth the hassle of going the unofficial route, if i could get the official upgrade this cheap.

transfer took about 90 minutes. had to re-download something (some NXE files maybe?), that took another 15 minutes. after that i started copying games to the HDD - L4D, NHL09, GTA4. and re-downloading demos that i had to delete to make room - Skate, MLB2K9, Halo Wars. still have like 80 GB free :)

murph17
  13. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    I'm interested in that cable,

So how did you do this, you bought a regular 120 hdd ?

14. murph17

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    no i went the official route. found a new in box 120GB HDD for $100 on Ebay. had $20 PayPal credit from a Gamefly referral too. $80 was a lot more reasonable than $150.

if you want to go unofficial, the deets are a few posts above. let me know if you do, you can borrow my cable & CD since i trust you to send them back when done.

murph17