1st Night: What We've Learned

Discussion in 'E-Sports Hockey League' started by NugeTV, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Nuge

Nuge SmithZz

Discord:
    nuge#0
    Ratings:
    +6,623 / 177 / -194
    I personally had a lot of fun in the 4 games we managed to get in last night, even if we were only able to pull off 2 victories. I hope many of you guys had fun as well, despite the few issues I'm about to address.

Scheduling Conflicts:
    • Some teams, by mistake, accepted challenges and put up their own games at the same time without realizing that the game they put up would not disappear once they accepted a different challenge. Hopefully we will be able to get Tris to add something to prevent a team from scheduling 2 events at the same time.
    • Scheduling multiple games close together led to an issue for at least one team tonight. In order to avoid conflicts dont schedule games 30 minutes apart, because overtime is a very realistic possibility in a tournament that is this competitive
    • Also, Im not sure what it was with games between 12:00 and 12:45, but either everyone is stupid (including myself) or the system automatically set games to PM instead of AM. All games should have still been played and scores need to be entered tomorrow afternoon.

These issues can be prevented by teams being a little more careful when taking games or putting up games, however in order to give teams more tools to avoid issues there needs to be a way to cancel a game when it is still open.

Ladder/Points System:
    • There appears to be some sort of glitch within the system right now. I'll be talking to @Tris10 tomorrow about what could be wrong with it. Currently a 2-2 team has 29 points when their 2 wins have come against an 0-3 team. If a bug is actually the cause of this, points may be recalculated based on a new formula, but because I'm not Tris I dont really know many details about what that process would entail.

Individual Stats:
    • A lot of teams have expressed interest in keeping player stats for the tournament. It isnt required, but due to the stats being fairly easy to get (ranked challenges, most stats are saved after the game, easy to put in later) I encourage teams to do the individual stats if they want to, but if they dont want to spend the time doing them it isnt a requirement.

The important thing is to have a fun and competitive tournament, so even if your team was affected by one of these issues this first night remember that the regular season is a marathon and not a sprint.

If anyone else has any thoughts/opinions/ideas based on the first night of games that they'd like to share post them here.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. keso_paghuni

keso_paghuni Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +720 / 1 / -5
    Although my team went 1-3 I had some fun playing for once. Mutual quit needs to be implemented

Keso_Paghuni
  3. BLicK12

BLicK12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,595 / 9 / -12
    In general, I think an explanation of the logic behind the points system is in order. I see one team with -2 points and an OTL and one team with -2 points and a loss. Shouldn't this be accounted for?

BLicK1252
  4. Nuge

Nuge SmithZz

Discord:
    nuge#0
    Ratings:
    +6,623 / 177 / -194
    As far as the point system is concerned an OTL = L. Also, the point system checks out after talking to Tris, the first couple days will be chaotic due to everyone starting in the same place. Once every team has a couple games the points will make a lot more sense.

5. Strizzy x06

Strizzy x06 Poppin Chedda

Ratings:
    +211 / 5 / -23
    Actually had a good time playing last night. Shoutout to tris and nuge on throwing this together. Bring on the Good times

No Streaming Account
  6. BLicK12

Ratings:
    +1,595 / 9 / -12
    I don't doubt that it makes sense, but I also think we should get an explanation so that we are in the know. Being intentionally vague about something that people don't comprehend creates a lot of discontentment. Look no further than EA and their player attribute system.

Also, I think an OTL deserves more credit than just a loss, but that is one man's opinion, perhaps others might weigh in.

BLicK1252
  7. Trobs

Trobs Prime Example

Ratings:
    +1,074 / 29 / -28
    OTL shouldn't be equal to a loss.

No Streaming Account
  8. Nuge

Nuge SmithZz

Discord:
    nuge#0
    Ratings:
    +6,623 / 177 / -194
    The problem with this is the only requirement for entering stats is the score. Obviously people are putting OT games in as OT games, but they arent required too. Tris is working on something that shows the amount of points a team earns for each game specifically to be a little more transparent.

9. BLicK12

Ratings:
    +1,595 / 9 / -12
    So, how about we just force teams to put in the accurate score and game situation (regulation v. OT). Seems like an easy enough solution, no?

BLicK1252
  10. theFiGS42

theFiGS42 theFiGS42

Ratings:
    +636 / 6 / -11
    i understand my error with the 10 and 1030 game i put up, but the 10 oclock game was accepted a few minutes late and i was forced to play that. The 1030 owner assured me that he would not make me forfeit so i felt comfortable playing both late, i dont see how this is ok, i could of told the 10 oclock game it was too late and game wont count and i could of just played the 1030 game on time. Instead i was lied to and was forced into a loss, that isnt right at all. BUT with that said teams shouldnt do what i did by putting games that close together and i think all team owners need to be on the same page in this thing and have alittle more respect for the tournament than what i was given last night.

thefigs42
  11. BLicK12

Ratings:
    +1,595 / 9 / -12
    Also, is there anyway we can add individual lockerrooms to this page?

I'm trying to figure out what my team's availability is tonight/this week while I'm at work and it would just be way easier to coordinate that via LG. I see a bunch of open games but I'm hesitant to schedule my team for any without knowing what our availability is.

BLicK1252
  12. WiTNESS 513

WiTNESS 513 Wit

Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -5
    Figs you started your ten o'clock game @10:12 and had a 10:30 game scheduled with us. I said ''OK, we're not a team looking to take forfeits.

It's not like it was 10:36 and we said, alright you lose. It was literally 10:48 and you were still in OT. My guys paid to play not sit around and wait for an error on your part. Besides we had a game @11. I understand your teams frustration and I let my line decide via vote and a decision was made. But we will not be scrutinized for that, you should held your 10 o'clock game accountable if they were late like you said. Just as we did you.

The big picture for me, is we sat idle for almost 40 minutes. When we had 6 eligible players and there were plenty of games to take. You guys can be upset all you want, but we even waited twenty minutes past the game time.

No Streaming Account
  13. WiTNESS 513

WiTNESS 513 Wit

Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -5
    Sry, double post.

No Streaming Account
  14. WiTNESS 513

WiTNESS 513 Wit

Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -5
    My team is here for the competitive games and now twice we've been at the front of an issue because of your team's mistake. We don't want to be a distraction for this tournament, we just want to be playing top 6s.

No Streaming Account
  15. MattMurr

MattMurr Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +429 / 3 / -3
    I feel like it is common sense not to schedule games close together just because there is to many factors that can contribute to having to forfeit. Maybe have tris implement something in the system where an error message comes up when trying to schedule another game right after your first game within a certain time frame? Kind of like gamebattles. This will probably happen again with the amount of tards there are.

No Streaming Account
  16. theFiGS42

theFiGS42 theFiGS42

Ratings:
    +636 / 6 / -11
    this is fine but i was in a private chat with you when my 10oclock started and i told you it just started and you said thats fine we'll wait. dont come on this site saying something different than you said to me in a private chat. i dont care about the loss, i care that an OWNER can go back on his word and flip it around and make me look bad, what kind of childish game is that? when someone gives me their word i expect them to stand by it. you knew we started the game at 1020 i was in the party with you and you said in exact words "its fine, im not like that, we just want to play i wont make you take the forfeit, WE'll WAIT". so in my opinion youre a scumbag, and your word is meaningless. next time ill make sure i dont make that error, but youre a piece of shit for telling me one thing and doing something different. you knew the game time and told me something different, youre pathetic.

thefigs42
  17. Scheckel29

Scheckel29 IslesGT

Discord:
    scheckel29#0
    Ratings:
    +910 / 7 / -11
    He told you that before talking to the team. It was a 4-3 vote to take the forfeit win. So only half our team are a bunch of scumbags ;)

Scheckel29
  18. x TAMU x

x TAMU x Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    I obviously have no way of knowing exactly what was said in that conversation, but if you want to blame anyone for what happened, feel free to blame me. When I heard what was happening, I immediately spoke up and voiced my opinion. Witness did intend to wait until the end of your game, but as part of being an owner, he also respects and listens to what the rest of his team has to say before he makes the final call. There were a few other guys beside myself that weren't willing to wait very long, and when your game went way past the scheduled time, we weren't interested in waiting around any longer.

I'm not out to get free wins, but I know how things can often go in these types of tournaments. When I've participated in CanAm, VHL, Community Tournaments, etc. in the past, there have always been issues with people not showing up on time. I hope that this tournament is not like that, and I think it won't be because the rules are set up to punish teams for not being on time, not to mention the fact that teams can schedule games at their convenience. Personally, I think my time is too valuable to waste sitting around waiting for people that can't show up on time. I get that there were some issues last night with the challenge system, but it's really just one game in the end. You have 150 games to work with, and it shouldn't take more than a few nights for everyone to become familiar with how everything works. I hate that we've already been involved in "controversy" with this tournament twice already, but everything we have done has been according to the rules. I would hope that everyone holds us to the same standards going forward, and if we can't follow them, you won't see us complaining.

No Streaming Account
  19. WiTNESS 513

WiTNESS 513 Wit

Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -5
    Figs, I did say that in a PC, but you've tried to manipulate the rules twice now, I was willing to wait, my team voiced their opinions, we waited twenty minutes past the scheduled start time. Should we be punished for your error? Call me a ''scumbag'' all you want.. My teammates opinion outweighs yours. I'm done commenting on this. This clearly falls on the management or more less mismanagement of your club.

No Streaming Account
  20. theFiGS42

theFiGS42 theFiGS42

Ratings:
    +636 / 6 / -11
    you had a vote after you already told me the plan on waiting lol, just seems like you say one thing to me but when it comes to getting in trouble you say something different to everyone else. you know what you said in the PC and where did i manipulate the rules with keck? you guys putting him on your roster when he told habsguy he doesnt want to play lmao, you're a soft dude man. Own up to what you did last night and maybe i'd respect you. never have i seen someone tell someone one thing then take a vote after you make a decision lmao. pathetic, enjoy the freebie

thefigs42