Anyone going to watch the debate tonight?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Tris10, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that was out of 512 people for ABC and for who they thought won the debate. They also showed that both Bush and Kerry went up one percent for who those people would vote for if voting today. Which put:

Bush 51%
    Kerry 47%
    Nader < 1%

So, the only canidate hurt from this first debate of four was Nader.

2. Conner McCloud

Conner McCloud Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I support Bush, and I say he sucked.

No Streaming Account
  3. SlapHappy

SlapHappy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bush looked pretty goofy up there. His inability to stay on topic and answer questions made me almost feel sorry for him.

No Streaming Account
  4. Shush

Shush Renegade Admin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I listened to the debate while I was working. When I came home I watched it. After only listening to it, I didn't think any candidate really said anything. That was partly because I wasn't really listening and didn't know the parameters of the debate.

After watching the debate and actually listening, I must say I was not impressed with Kerry at all. I'm more concerned with what a person says then with how they say it or how they look doing it. And believe me, neither candidate will win an award for presentation.

To me, which means in my opinion, Kerry was campaigning and avoided most of the questions. He continually refered to "his plan" to make it all better without actually disclosing what that plan was. He tries to make a point that the soldiers don't have the equipment they need yet he votes NO on a bill to fund them. He protests that the war in Iraq is wrong and his solution is to remove US troops within 6 months. This is an answer?

The main thing I took away from Kerry was that he wants to go on a global hand holding tour. Fly around the Globe and form a coalition. That time has passed. How many alliances is he going to form when he can't even give credit to those nations that have helped already? Sorry, but I just don't see Kerry driving the bus.

One thing that Bush said really stuck in my mind: He said he is not willing to put the safety of the American people in the hands of the Global community. I agree with him and am 100% certain he is getting my vote.

Now back to Video Games.

No Streaming Account
  5. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Doesnt matter who won the debate. The point is did it change anyones minds as far as voting goes? I doubt it. Bush is still going to win and by alot.

No Streaming Account
  6. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Meaningless polls from liberal/biased news outlets. I'm sure the Fox News polls were slanted heavily towards Bush. Point is, they're meaningless. Only thing that matters is the vote on Nov 2nd.

Bush paused alot before he spoke, and got tongue tied a couple of times. Maybe he was actually thinking before he spoke and didn't have a canned robotic speech response ready for each rebuttal. Or, maybe he's just slow. Either way, this appeals to alot of Americans, especially seniors and southerners, alot of the midwest, etc (Bush appears more down to Earth, stumbles on a few words, etc.... maybe it's on purpose, maybe not, but the effect is that he relates more to the public, but you certainly won't hear any reports about him getting a manicure before a debate, which just crushes any attempt for Kerry to appear like "one of us").

Kerry though, did pretty well. He got off to a slow start, when most viewers were watching before flipping channels, but recovered well in the 2nd half. My big beef with him was his "plan" that he kept talking about, but never gave any details on. Outline something for us please. It's easy to come in and say "I have a plan" but when you don't have a realistic blueprint for that plan, then it comes off as fluff.

Neither guy won or lost, neither said anything damaging or made a gaffe/soundbite that could played over and over. As I thought before it started, they both pretty much said what we thought they would. Kerry attacked Bush invading Iraq, Bush attacked Kerry for flip flopping on the subject. Nothing new here. Neither man could have said anything to sway my vote anyway.

No Streaming Account
  7. Pinstripe Moose

Pinstripe Moose Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't agree with that at all...I think the debates last time around was what got Bush into office. He wiped the floor with Gore (Man I gotta get in the rap game) and really was what pushed him over the hump come election time. These debates, though seem worthless to the general public, really have an effect on a large percentage of "undecided".

Does anyone remember the debates between Nixon and JFK? (I wasn't alive then, but have studied them). Those televised debates are what won JFK the election.

I'm a little in awe that people think Bush did a better job than Kerry. From a public speaking and debating stand point, Kerry killed him. Bush was on the defensive all night and you could see it with how nervous Bush became and how many problems he had collecting his thoughts and presenting his arguments. may not seem like a big deal...but it does plant a seed in the unsure.

But I do think he will rebound in the "town meeting" debate next week. He has a great demeanor when dealing with the public which Kerry does not.

No Streaming Account
  8. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wasnt talking about debates in general, im talking about this debate. Neither guy said or did anything to change the vote in my opinion. You think the polls will change after this? I seriously doubt it.

4 years ago both guys were still somewhat 'unknown' so i could see how that might sway people.

No Streaming Account
  9. Pinstripe Moose

Pinstripe Moose Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok...I agree with that. But there is still a large amount of undecided and though it may not have changed a supporter's mind...it may have changed an undecided person's mind. Bush's lead isn't large enough to declare victory.

You didn't say that...but it's the attitude of other prior posts.

No Streaming Account
  10. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
  11. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yah well Bush is still winning Texas.... you should see all the george bush crap around here. :)

No Streaming Account
  12. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Go to Massachusetts. When I was there two weeks back, it was layered with Edwards stuff.

No Streaming Account
  13. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think you are confused. Bush has the round face and Kerry has the elongated face. The guy with the elongated face was the guy not staying on topic.

14. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It seemed to me that 2 questions out of 3, Kerry brought something else into the factor.

My favorite line that Bush used against Kerry:

"Wrong War, Wrong Time, Wrong Place"

also, Kerry is damn funny to watch, seeing him wave his hands back and forth like he is mentally challenged :D

No Streaming Account
  15. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    He is mentally challenged... :shock:

No Streaming Account
  16. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    Since no one has posted any content from the debate, here is some points from kerry

The terrorism czar, who has worked for every president since Ronald Reagan, said, "Invading Iraq in response to 9/11 would be like Franklin Roosevelt invading Mexico in response to Pearl Harbor."

The president moved the troops, so he's got 10 times the number of troops in Iraq than he has in Afghanistan, where Osama bin Laden is.

Does that mean that Saddam Hussein was 10 times more important than Osama bin Laden -- than, excuse me, Saddam Hussein more important than Osama bin Laden? I don't think so.

17. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    as well as bush said iraq attacked america, kerry responded

18. Pyrogerbil

Pyrogerbil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It means it takes 10 times the troops to fight saddam and his boys than it does to fight Osama and his cave monkeys.

No Streaming Account
  19. jujimum

jujimum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After Bush used that for the 5th or 6th time though, it lost effectiveness in my opinion. To me, it does seem like it was the "wrong time" in that we weren't prepared for the war in which we are involved. I don't think the strategy was planned out very well and I think we could've gone in with one fell swoop and taken care of business if it had not been a thrown together attack.

As for Kerry saying he has a plan and not outlining anything, well, I was just glad to know that SOMEBODY at least has a plan and isn't "wingin' it".

Now, I don't really follow politics and usually don't talk about them either since it is a waste of time (as well as religion and music). Therefore, in both of my posts, I'm just saying what I got from the debate last night since that is the topic at hand ;) . Normally, I wouldn't have even watched the debates, but thought I would just to see what y'all were talkin' about.

No Streaming Account
  20. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Kerry didn't even look at the camera for the first half of the debate! He kept responding to the PBS moderator instead of looking into the lens and talking at the millions watching on TV. Even so, Kerry did very well in the debate and held his own, and neither guy made a fool of themself.

What bothers me most about Kerry is that he'll say anything to anyone to get their vote, whether be believes it or not. At least with Bush I know what I've got, and he'll stick to his guns, ethics and principles.

Kerry kept talking about these summits that he'd do. Sure, the same type of do-nothing talk shop like the U.N. Just what we need. The U.N. are a corrupt bunch of dirtbags who are trying to screw us at every turn. Just like Kerry sold out all Vietnam Veterans years ago, he would sell out America to be subserviant to the U.N. Kerry's entire foreign policy is based on the US never, ever acting without foreign approval, and he made that very clear. Alot of Americans won't go for that, lots of them.

The bottom line, Kerry is a better speaker, and Bush is a better leader. You'd have to be a real tool to all of a sudden support Kerry because he spoke well last night or looked presidential. I'll take substance over style.

If Kerry had credibility, he'd have a real chance to win this election, but I just don't see it happening.

No Streaming Account