Dodgers Deals bite them in the Buttocks

Discussion in 'General Sports Talk Forum' started by PhilipRivers17, Aug 1, 2004.

1. PhilipRivers17

PhilipRivers17 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dodgers Deals bite t

i love it. I'm a HUGE padres fan and last nights game was classic. its 2-1 in the bottom of the 8th and instead of having Mota come in and mow a few batters down, they have to settle for dreifort, who isn't a bad pitcher, but he's no mota. Dreifort blows it and the pads get the lead and the win.

the guys on baseball tonight had a field day with this game. I just hope that if your a dodgers fan, it doesn't continue like this. However, i hope it does =].

No Streaming Account
  2. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, unless Darren Dreifort kicks it up a notch and starts pitching better, it will continue to happen. He isn't a decent pitcher, he is horrible. I still can't believe the Dodgers gave Tom Martin and cash to the Braves for a minor leaguer, they gave him to them.

As for the game, I watched it, and Dreifort blew it.

But hey, you really want to start talking, what happened two nights ago huh? The day the 3 left? You guys got spanked, what was it like 12-3?

No Streaming Account
  3. mnkytrix

mnkytrix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I went to game last night and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable ball games I have ever been to - what an amazing stadium! I am a huge DODGERS fan. Looking at the trade I have come up with some thoughts and overall, I am okay with the trade.

1. Their bullpen is still good. Dreifort doesn?t suck and is not horrible - he is overpaid though! If you're going to base a move off a close 1-run game in JULY, I think that's jumping the gun a little too early. Mota was not the savior in the pen and he wasn't necessarily as automatic as Gagne. Dreifort will get into the set-up mentality and pitch great.

2. They got younger. I admit, the Dodgers are putting a lot of pressure on both Jayson Werth and David Ross, but they have a huge up-side. Both are capable of hitting 20-30 HR and yearly basis - and if you read Moneyball, you know what type of players DePodesta likes.

3. LoDuca is the man, no doubt about it! Do I miss him, you bet! However, I don't he is that big of a difference maker that this will negatively effect the Dodgers in the long-run.

4. The Finley trade is ridiculous! I think they got rid of a great deal of amazing players from their farm system to rent a guy for a few months - not smart in my opinion, but he does have the experience.

It will be interesting to see how the Dodgers play these next few months, but I do think they got better and they could have a great group of players for a few years. Either way, it's going to be fun to watch the Dodgers/Padres rivalry intensify this season.

No Streaming Account
  4. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I guess you know more about the Dodgers mnky...especially if they are your team, as I prefer the Angels.

But, yes Dreifort is way overpaid. If he would haveblown that game today, I would have gotten even madder at him, and let me say he was about 10 feet away from blowing it lol, Khalil just didn't get quite enough power on it.

BTW, to everybody who watched today's Los Angeles Dodgers ( :bla: ) @ San Diego Padres ( :bsd: ) game, did you see Brian Giles catch in the outfield when Milton Bradley bombed that ball out to the warning track? That was nice.

No Streaming Account
  5. mnkytrix

mnkytrix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It was actually Jay Payton :wink: What a great series though!

No Streaming Account
  6. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Who cares, he was a Padre, and Padres do not matter to anybody in life at all :p.

But, yeah it was a good series. For the Dodgers at least, especially that Game # 1, coming out and making that huge statement by winning 12-3 ( I believe). They slammed Padres, especially Milton Bradley.

Best part of game 1 (obviously) was Milton robbing that homer then next inning, coming out and slamming one of his own deep center, then another deep right field.

No Streaming Account
  7. LUCKYRUFFLES19

LUCKYRUFFLES19 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did someone say these deals would bite then in the butt? Hmm last i checked 6 and half up. Get your playoff tickets fellas i'll see you there.

luckyruffles

No Streaming Account
  8. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but when a trade like this first happens, and all baseball analysts are saying it is one of the worst in the last decade, you think of the bad.

But, it did somehow turn out good for them, and hey, come playoff time, maybe i will have a choice of teams to go and watch. Angels or Dodgers, which team to choose? Depends on which one lasts longer in the playoffs.

No Streaming Account
  9. PhilipRivers17

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol that post was made the day after the dealine. Screw the bullpen, LA has enough offense to not worry about it. If tey were in a bunch of close games, the bullpen might be more of a factor, but they're offense is kickin now.

i hope the pads get the wild card so we can see LA again

No Streaming Account
  10. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It will the braves and cards (unless they are matched up in the 1st round somehow) in the NLCS so what do you guys care anyways. :p

No Streaming Account
  11. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, look at the game the day after the deadline? The Dodgers lost in the 8th inning because new setup man replacing Guilleramo Mota, Darrin Dreifort gave up the runs and lost. Then look at the other day against the Cincinnati Reds, Dreifort blew it again. So this trade is obviously hurting them.

No Streaming Account
  12. LUCKYRUFFLES19

LUCKYRUFFLES19 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Your gonna lose some games , no one knows if mota would have not done the same so, and the cards and braves in the division series fat chance. Dodgers vs. yanks, dodgers in 6.

No Streaming Account
  13. The Original MP

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm predicting a 1st round sweep for the Dodgers. They stand no chance vs the cards and a very slim chance vs the braves. Anyone else I think they can handle though.

No Streaming Account
  14. PhilipRivers17

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    in my opinion, no body is goign to beat the cards. Some team out of no where will make it to the NLCS but lose to St. Louis.

No Streaming Account
  15. The Original MP

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The cards arent that amazing... as we all saw last year a team with 3 good pitchers can shut down just about any offense during post season. If the cards end up facing the cubs it might get interesting.

No Streaming Account
  16. Eclipse2k

Eclipse2k Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It would be quite interesting to see this happen. The simple fact is the starting 5 rotation for the Cubs is pretty much unstoppable. Kerry Wood shut down the Dodgers today and won 2-0. Maddux, Prior, Clement, and Zambrano are dominant when they pitch right too. Everyone is aware pitching wins in the playoffs, which Cubs have and Cardinals don't. The Cardinals will fall to the Cubs if all goes right and it will be when it actually counts. As always, anything can happen from now but it's pretty obvious the Padres and Giants won't be able to hold up with Chicago but it may happen.

No Streaming Account
  17. PhilipRivers17

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the padres rotation needs consistency. And they need to last longer. Jake peavy is the ace of the rotation. He's only allowed more than 2 runs in one game since he's been back. Hitchcock just got off the DL and is trying to get his stuff back. Eaton is either perfect, or horrible. Lawrence is hit and miss. Although i'm partial to him because he's the only northwestern state baseball player to make it to teh majors. ( a question which stumped the experts at the Fan Fest ) And david wells just needs to retire. But he can be good if he wants.

the padres can bes summed up as hit and miss. And like i siad it all depends on their pitching. They're bull pen is great, but the starters need to last longer.

No Streaming Account
  18. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If Padres really want to make the playoffs, they need to win a couple big series.

Namely, they would need to take at least 3 of 4 against the Los Angeles Dodgers between September 13th-16th.

Then another big helper would be that weekend against the Giants which would help push the Giants back. Then that next week they have another 3 against the Dodgers that will be key to their success. Then the Giants again the next week could help push them out of the playoff picture pending how they do between now and then.

So they have a tough schedule ahead of them, and they need to finish it off good.

I honestly see them barely missing out on the wild card to the Cubs. And that is not just because I hate the Padres, I just don't think the Pads have the rotation to do it.

No Streaming Account
  19. PhilipRivers17

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    why would yo uhate the padres? LOL what have they ever done. I can understand hating the yankees. the dodgers, teh cardinalls, red sox even. But why would someone actually say, man, i hate the padres. thats like hating the chicago bears, or the cardinals.

but anyways back to your points.

The padres have played well against teh giants, they've already one the season series. The dodgers on the other hand have given them trouble. in the last two series the padres are 2-4 against them. Thats not gonnna work if you want to make the playoffs.

No Streaming Account
  20. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. Dodgers, Yankees, and Red Sox are just like the Oakland Raiders:

You love 'em or you hate 'em, you can't have them as a secondary team.

As for me hating them, I just mean that if I had to pick between Dodgers, Padres, and Giants, would definetly be the Dodgers. I don't like physically hate them, they are just one of my lesser liked teams ;).

No Streaming Account