First Perfect Game of LG Spring Training!

Discussion in 'MLB 16: The Show' started by Skater, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Skater

Skater LG Vet

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    First Perfect Game o

Brandon Webb of the d-backs pitched a perfect game against GG's Dodgers :!: I just thought this deserved recognition.

No Streaming Account
  2. Golden Gophers

Golden Gophers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOL, yeh awesome performance, NOT, it is 1:30 and I am going to bed. Next time I won't hand it to you on a silver platter. BTW, your little high pitched amazement at the end sounded extremely gay.

No Streaming Account
  3. Skater

Skater LG Vet

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    lol....its a perfect game, I could care less....you mightve handed me the game with your pitching but your hitting was hurrendous

No Streaming Account
  4. Golden Gophers

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeh, when I play exhibitions for fun, I dont expect to have one pitch be in the strike zone every three batters.

No Streaming Account
  5. Skater

Skater LG Vet

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    then try not swinging, then you might get walked...just a thought

No Streaming Account
  6. Golden Gophers

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wow, that would be a fun game!

No Streaming Account
  7. Skater

Skater LG Vet

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No Streaming Account
  8. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol i wouldnt make throwing balls a big habit...after a while people will start to recognize balls and strikes...just a thought :)

No Streaming Account
  9. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I won't throw stikes to someone until they learn how to lay off pitches. It's real simple. Get a better eye for balls and strikes or it will be a very very long season for ya.

No Streaming Account
  10. Darthor

Darthor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To each their own but that screams cheese to me. Don't be scared to pitch in the zone. I like to paint the corners and put pitches out of the zone too but I also love putting strikes in the zone and watching them whiff. It's more satisfying to me to give them a chance and watch them fail than to sucker them all game. 8)

No Streaming Account
  11. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I challenge hitters as well, sometimes throwing them right down central for called 3rd strikes.

My point is that it's stupid to whine about people throwing junk in the dirt if you're dumb enough to swat at it everytime. That's not cheeze, it's just smart baseball if your opponent can't tell a ball from a strike, why give them something to hit? Force them to learn the strike zone, or end up hitting .100 on the season.

No Streaming Account
  12. Darthor

Darthor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with giving them good stikes just to keep them off balance. I love the called 3rd strike down the pipe. I'd like to play someone who lived pitching outside the strike zone. Boring but I'd like to see it. I've seen small samples of it so far but never for a whole game.

No Streaming Account
  13. WilloMan

WilloMan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Plus the other fact that online the check swings rarely works doesn't help anyone.

No Streaming Account
  14. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, the people that live outside the strike zone will eventually have to feed you something over the plate (assuming you have a good batting eye). I mean, that's essentially the whole point of baseball in a nutshell. Pitcher vs Batter, pitcher trying to bait the hitter into swing at something bad, batter trying to lay off the junk and have the patience to hold off until the pitcher is forced to throw strike or surrender a walk.

But saying that it cheese to pitch all balls when your opponent doesn't have the disipline to take pitches is like saying it's cheese to throw quick slates to the slot receiver in a football game when your opponent is running OLB blitzes at you every play. Cause and effect. You do what works until your opponent makes the adjustment to beat you, in this case it's laying off stuff outside of the zone and waiting for strikes to be thrown.

Fortunately, most of the starting pitchers start to tire around the 5th and 6th innings so that you only have really sharp breaking balls with the full effort meter (which can sap your pitcher's energy quickly if you throw 100% all game) and it starts to become easier to lay off junk in the middle innings. Also keep in mind that post people are playing with the top rotation pitchers in the game. Our league is going to use the full rotation of course and those bottom barrel starting pitchers don't have nearly the stuff as the staff ace does. I've had a couple of big 1st innings on low level starting pitchers because they don't have as big of an action on their junk and most don't have a huge variety of different pitches once you get past the 3rd starter.

Anyway, for people that are striking out alot and getting frustrated with not being able to hit junk. Don't swing at all of it. Learn to take the first strike, and when you start doing that your opponent will start adjusting as well and you'll see some first strike pitches come your way if you stop swinging at everything. :wink:

No Streaming Account
  15. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They work better on off speed pitches. I typically have at least a couple of check swings per inning.

No Streaming Account
  16. WilloMan

WilloMan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Trust me on this Jon. Check Swings are hard as hell to come by. I sometimes just tap the button but my guy still fully swings. It might be caused by lag or something but it doesnt work when its suppose to. Play MVP online on (PC or PS2) and you'll see that check swingts work.

I had a great game against Erb yesterday. I think we took it to the 12th inning or 13th but out the whole game i got 2 check swings Erbs had none and we both were talking about how it rarely happens.

Final score:
    Erbs 4 - 0(or 1) Me

No Streaming Account
  17. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I play MVP online on the PC and actually think that it's too easy to check swing. Sure, alot of them get called for strikes anyway on the appeal, but it seems EA almost wants to show off that new feature (overhead check swing cam and appeal to ump) a little "too" much.

Yeah, there aren't a ton of check swings in ESPN MLB, but they can be done. MVP is too much, ESPN is not enough, ASB has none at all. WHY CAN'T WE HAVE SLIDERS ONLINE!!!!!

No Streaming Account
  18. Erbs

Erbs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that was a hell of a game willoman....best one ive played so far

And yeah right along with what XboxJon said, if you learn to take more pitches and get a better eye, youre going to get the pitcher to throw more and wear out alot faster....

No Streaming Account
  19. ExArmySgt

ExArmySgt <b>Madden NFL Commissioner </b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, for me it's a very tough to be able to lay off a pitch when you're having to judge what the pitch will be as soon as it comes out of the pitcher's hand due to the slow swing response I have. Jon, we need to play so I will have the benefit of your connection. I may find out that there is no lag and that I'll simply have to make adjustments to my perception of lag.

No Streaming Account
  20. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I should be able to get on late tonight (ie. 1am ET) or maybe jump on sometime early tomorrow afternoon (ie. 1-3pm ET) or late Sunday night (ie. 11-2am ET).

Just send me a message one of my messengers, I leave them on all the time if I'm home (although I'm probably not sitting at the computer as I'm busy packing but can always take a 30min video game break).

No Streaming Account