Heisman Trophy Winner

Discussion in 'General Sports Talk Forum' started by Skater, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Skater

Skater LG Vet

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Heisman Trophy Winne

Matt Leinart!
    I was surprised he won by so many votes. I thought Peterson would've come closer than he did but anywho, Matt is the new heisman winner

GO :nusc: !!!

No Streaming Account
  2. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WOOHOO, 2 trophies in 3 years!

No Streaming Account
  3. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    If/when he gets drafted to the NFL I bet he will be a bust. You can hold me to that word ;)

Gajeske85
  4. Skater

Skater LG Vet

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I actually will hold you too that....I'll post back here a year from now to laugh at you :laugh:

No Streaming Account
  5. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Matt Leinart won't necessarily be a bust, but he sure as hell won't be a ben rothlesberger, peyton manning, byron leftwhich, etc.

No Streaming Account
  6. TommyNuGuns

TommyNuGuns Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some people have been comparing him to Chad Pennington and he's turned out pretty good in the NFL.

No Streaming Account
  7. Skater

Skater LG Vet

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    You never know....people never though Rothlesberger would do much in the nfl and look where he got to so far....and people expected Eli Manning to be amazing but so far he's done terrible(even though its only his first season and he's only started 1 or 2 games)

No Streaming Account
  8. Golden Gophers

Golden Gophers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I never doubted Roethilsburger (sp?) I thought what he did was great at Miami of Ohio, and how he campaigned himself for the draft. I definitely think that the Heisman should have gone to Alex Smith. Now once again this may be a little bias and a little bit of the devils advocate, but you look at what one individual has done for a team, and I think that Alex Smith has done so much more than anyone of the other candidates for his team. He has the same record as a starter as Leinhart, but has far less talent around him than Leinhart. I mean you look at a lot of the catches made for TD and they are some pretty amazing catches by the WR. Leinhart has the ability to throw into some pretty awkward positions because he can trust his receivers to come up with the ball, and I don't necessarily think that is quite the case in Salt Lake City. I just think what Alex Smith has accomplished in two years is just a little bit better than Leinhart's. I am not trying to take anything away from Leinhart, as he is an amazing student of the game, and I think he has great vision, but I think when you think of the Heisman, you lookk at what one individual did for his team, and it is hard for me to see one of a two person Heisman noteable team can take home the award. I mean Utah was never labeled or even mentioned as a BCS team up until this year, he has elevated a team to a whole new level. Just my opinion.

No Streaming Account
  9. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I guess that is what I kinda meant. He isn't gonna be anywhere near as good as he seemed to be with USC. He will turn out to be probably an average quarterback that wont really be noticed in the league.

Gajeske85
  10. Skater

Skater LG Vet

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    GG...its Leinart* not Leinhart....And about Alex Smith, no doubt he is a great qb but when you look at Utah's opponents he didn't need the better team in front of him to win as compared to USC where they played actual good teams(Va Tech, Cal, ASU..).....And with USC and Leinart if you say that his whole team led him to where he is thats bull....you could've said that last year but not this year...USC lost their entire offensive line..Every guy on the offensive line is either a freshman or sophomore...and Leinart also lost his two favorite and best recievers Williams and Colbert.....But he had great leadship and still led his team to where they are now

No Streaming Account
  11. All MiT Kev

All MiT Kev Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    alex smith was a token pick because of the fact non big conferance teams are en vogue right now. he did what he did against substandard teams. aaron rodgers deserved to be there. he shredded usc when they played and just about everyone else

No Streaming Account
  12. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ryan Moats for Heisman (RB for LA Tech)

No Streaming Account
  13. Golden Gophers

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well when Utah takes on Pittsburgh you will truly see what Smith can do.

On Leinart, you just look at a ton of the TD receptions and they are amazing catches for a lot of them. I mean it is also good placement by Leinart, but without those great WRs and great HBs he would not be able to throw to areas where he leaves it up to the WR to make a good play. I just think there were a lot more deserving players, especially, then since Alex Smith is in a midmajor, Adrian Peterson. He had huge runs against huge teams. He had about 1300 yds after the first hit. And then there is Reggie Bush...Leinart gets credit for throwing a quick swing pass to Bush, who usually springs those for a good 20 yds each time. It is basically another way of handing the ball off, but it gives Leinart credit too. I also like the fact that Jason White became more mobil this year and became much more of a threat. Just better hope that what happened to White last year, doesn't happen to Leinart this year.

No Streaming Account
  14. Golden Gophers

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    PS: Leinart and Smith both have the same records as starters.

No Streaming Account
  15. All MiT Kev

All MiT Kev Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    whether they have the same record or not did smith play virginia tech?, cal? michigan or notre dame? im sure lineart could go undefeated playing the utah state's and the colorado states of the world. and the fact utah is playing pitt to begin with shows how flawed the whole thing is

No Streaming Account
  16. Skater

Skater LG Vet

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ditto 8)

No Streaming Account
  17. Golden Gophers

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeh, the BCS is a whole bunch of bullsh*t if you ask me...

USC did play Colorado State :wink: , but what I am also trying to say is that you have to take into consideration the caliber of player playing alongside Smith, and when you relate the caliber of players to the caliber of schedule I think you can still draw a pretty decent, but not close enough maybe, comparison of the two.

Maybe if they would actually give a mid-major a shot for once, and Utah would be a good place to start by them making it to a BCS bowl in the first place, put them up against a good team and see what they can do, you may be surprised.

No Streaming Account
  18. Skater

Skater LG Vet

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I wish that Utah faced a better team in the Fiesta bowl though...Pittsburgh isn't exactly an amazing team so it won't see what Utah is fully capable of

No Streaming Account