Just an idea to toss around!

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by J Bidd, Apr 11, 2013.

1. J Bidd

J Bidd Fackin Allstar

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Ever feel like your playing a game, but your team just doesn't start playing well until the 2nd or 3rd period and someone says, if we started off like this, we could of pulled out a win there. Or maybe, this game doesn't feel like it lasts long enough sometimes as the time literally flies by?

Well, after trying it out tonight, I was wondering how you guys would feel about making the periods even 10 mins long instead of 5? (Make the game unranked)

Pros- Games are played out more realistically because of the extra time allotted.
    - teams have that extra time to really gel on the ice if they have a rough first period, or now first half of a period.
    - goalies may see more than 5-8 shots a game, which will really allow them to showcase some true talent and make them feel more involved each period.
    - scores MAY be higher but I don't see that as a bad thing for teams or players.

Cons- the games last slightly longer so people may not have the time.
    - if a team is playing poorly maybe they don't want the extra time to get swept.

Just a few quick points, and maybe you guys can add more to it? I just feel like we are a hockey league trying to be as close to real life NHL as possible are we not? So like I said just an idea I'm throwing out there, what do you guys think about it, good or bad?

No Streaming Account
  2. A Slanted Neck

A Slanted Neck Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    i like. it would definenlty make it seem more realisitc. the only thing that would have to be talked about would be some sort of mercy rule so people dont just run up the score for like a 10-0 win against a bad team

No Streaming Account
  3. J Bidd

J Bidd Fackin Allstar

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    I thought there was already a mercy rule set in place, but I could be mistaken and getting it confused with another league.

No Streaming Account
  4. Mr_Invidious

Mr_Invidious Sports Business Professional, Bad eSports Player

Ratings:
    +592 / 3 / -5
    I don't think it's a sustainable option. Games could very easily go through the hour and into other scheduled games. Late starting games are especially prone to this complication. Separating game times by an hour would take up more time and not everyone is willing to devote 3+ hours to potentially play 2 games of NHL on the night. I think this idea would turn off more people than it would positively effect.

No Streaming Account
  5. J Bidd

J Bidd Fackin Allstar

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Well I have never played in a game that's even started 10-15 mins late that took 45 mins to play, games last now about 20 minutes, we'd be looking at 35-40 mins a game I think in time, and with the added way to take down stats, which will cut down in time of entering stats, I can't see it being a 3 hour issue, but possible I guess.

No Streaming Account
  6. Pizzi

Pizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 3 / -2
    I like longer games, but ranked is a must in my opinion. The connection is horrendous 75% of the time. (If they change the rule :))

xPizzi
  7. I3igFoote

I3igFoote Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I like this idea

No Streaming Account
  8. AZDvo

AZDvo Rocket Winner and #1 Ranked Player in Arizona.

Ratings:
    +1,666 / 27 / -48
    Good idea but I think we would see the following:
    -Crazy High Scores = Crazy High Stats
    -Goalie Stats could go south really quick with that long of game (especially if they score 10+ goals)
    -Time Restraints (A lot of people cant commit 2,3,4 hours to a couple games a night)
    -Longer the games the more time for players to lag out which means more restarts
    -If there isnt a mercy rule yet there would have to be one with 10min periods which would be difficult to judge because even if your down 10 with 2 periods to go you still have a very long time to make it up.
    -Overall I think this idea has many positives, however it is unfortunately unrealistic.

No Streaming Account
  9. Emo F0X

Emo F0X I Score Goals

Discord:
    foxi10i#0
    Ratings:
    +179 / 2 / -1
    those are some excellent points there stiick :)

Playing In Multiplayer
    No Streaming Account
  10. Browness-

Browness- Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Browness-#6166
    Ratings:
    +147 / 17 / -20
    Good thought. But really not viable IMO especially with 11 pm games asking people to be up to possibly midnight on a school night jbidd? Tsk tsk

browness90
  11. jack inth3 b0xz

jack inth3 b0xz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I coulden't emagine the final game being 10 minute periods 5 min was bad enough

No Streaming Account
  12. Williams x12x

Williams x12x #WillyAfterDark

Discord:
    Williams x12x#8346
    Ratings:
    +730 / 15 / -22
    Negative. If people cant mesh well they should play more outside of their scheduled games. The games do need to go to ranked though for a number of different reasons.

Williamsx12x
  13. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    When I created the very first team league, It was 10 minute periods. My thought process behind that was, we were only coming from ever playing online hockey 1 vs 1, so going to 3 vs 3 (That's all you could do in NHL 08) was if you were going to schedule 6 guys to show up at a certain time, better make it worth their while and make it more of an event.

As mentioned here though it might not work for what the league wants, but i've always been in favor of longer matches.

14. J Bidd

J Bidd Fackin Allstar

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    All good points, but I'd be curious if any owners who are running scouting games for instance, maybe man up and give it a try, and see how long a game truly lasts, I honestly don't see it lasting a full hour like people are saying, when we have a game at 10 and we start on time we are done the game by 10:20ish and then wait around for that godly 40 minutes.

If a couple owners were willing to try it though they would get a better LONGER look at scouting there players (yay) and maybe the league could count it as 2 scouting games instead of 1 would I'm sure would be enticing to a few guys here I'm sure.

No Streaming Account
  15. J Bidd

J Bidd Fackin Allstar

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    What are the reasons they need to go ranked Williams? I've played many unranked matches and I have never noticed a difference what so ever?

No Streaming Account
  16. J Bidd

J Bidd Fackin Allstar

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Im on Atlantic time brown so every game that's at 11 est. is a midnight game for me lol if the old man teacher can pull it off so can the damn kids!

No Streaming Account
  17. Dork x22

Dork x22 Am Da Best

Discord:
    dorkx22#0
    Ratings:
    +300 / 10 / -5
    The problem with Unranked is that certain settings can be altered by accident or not like, Offside or Icing etc.

DOI2K
  18. J Bidd

J Bidd Fackin Allstar

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    You'd have to be some kind of special lol

No Streaming Account
  19. Dork x22

Dork x22 Am Da Best

Discord:
    dorkx22#0
    Ratings:
    +300 / 10 / -5
    Lol I totally agree but you never know :)

DOI2K
  20. ClarkesKids

ClarkesKids #6 LD/RD - Clarke

Discord:
    ClarkesKids#7109
    Ratings:
    +433 / 0 / -2
    Played in one league when they had 10min periods and it was fun, problem is if its a weak opponent, games over after 1st. Lag outs are brutal as they add so much time and if you run late then its hard to play 2 games a night.

It is a blast and i like it but if you are in more then 1 league then it is just not feasible.

No Streaming Account