MLB The Show '08 Impression Thread

Discussion in 'Past/Startup Leagues' started by striker3771, Mar 7, 2008.

1. striker3771

striker3771 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't had a chance to play much, but I would like to read your impressions. Especially from those that are playing it for the first time. Has anyone played online yet?

No Streaming Account
  2. theDrummerJ99

theDrummerJ99 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    theDrummerJ99#6215
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -7
    Where do I start? I haven't even completed one full exhibition/franchise game, waiting till opening day roster's, I've just been doing the RTTS mode. With this being my first time playing The Show, I'm having a blast just doing that. I started one as a SS for the Reds, only problem with that one is, I really don't see why you even play defense. It seems like everytime you know the ball either coming right to you or the guys gonna try and steal 2nd. I'd like to see them mix it up more. So I started another RTTS with a SP with the Astros, which I randomnly picked. I'm having even more fun with that. While you pretty much never bat, it feels alot more like you are a part of the team and that the game rides on your shoulders.

So I'm sure I haven't seen alot of the good stuff but so far the commentary is what amazes me the most. If you hit a HR in the 2nd inning, they will talk about it later in the game. If your on a 5 game hitting streak, they will mention it in game. If you swing at swing at something god awful, they will ask what the heck your thinking. If you field a ball and thow to 2nd with nobody on, when it should have went to first, they will make a comment about it being a bonehead play and wonder what the heck your thinking.

Again, all these may be normal for people who have played The Show before but I've never seen it before. The Show is a first game in a while where it can almost loose myself in it and think it's a broadcast of a real game.

As for online, haven't played it yet. Haven't played a single PS3 game online yet, so don't really know what I'm doing. :mrgreen:

Overall from a first time Show player, I'm highly impressed. And even though I only have 2 PS3 games now, I'm very glad I spent the money to buy a PS3.

drummerJ99
  3. shockazulu

shockazulu Jarkko Ruutu

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did pretty much the same thing.

Started a RTTS, played for a while, but felt not completely in the game, so I created another one as a SP.

I still play my OFs RTTS tho, just I switch between the 2.

So far I've loved playing The Show, hitting is a little tough, but I've gotten by.

The only problem I've had with The Show (I had 07 for PS2) was that you (at least I did) didn't feel like I had full control over pitching...like I've perfectly timed and thrown a pitch and it's gone pretty far from where I've aimed it, now I know thats realistic, but some times it just doesn't seem right.

I've played one game online for PS3, and it was llllaaaaggggyyyyyy...skipped the entire game...I could barely pitch or hit.

Although this was the day b4 it officially came out, and IDK stuff beyond my control could have been happening, I'll play again some time this weekend and see how it is.

No Streaming Account
  4. shockazulu

shockazulu Jarkko Ruutu

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I just remembered more about the pitching.

it seems that no matter what, you can't throw a back door curveball/slider.

Like if you are a Lefty pitcher facing a Righty hitter, you can't throw your curve/slider starting off the plate and hit the corner of the plate...

it's like it doesn't have any movement and just stays outside.

Like if you watch the Mets, they have one reliever who does that constantly with his bendy ass slider...Pedro Feliciano.

No Streaming Account
  5. E-Dub

E-Dub Doce- Jealous One's Envy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have to say that The Show is awesome. Buying a PS3 for The Show ? I thought I was crazy. But honestly I just had a game online wit Moose Mets vs Yanks and it was really fun. Moose won in extra innnings. 3-2. It was very realistic.

E

No Streaming Account
  6. swiper19

swiper19 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After playing The Show 08 on the PSP I can only imagine what it is like on the PS3 , I will begin my search for a 60 Gig PS3 soon... I want something that is reverse compatible to play the old school PS1 & PS2 games :cool:

No Streaming Account
  7. striker3771

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe they're only selling the 40 and 80 gigs. If true, then you're down to purchasing an 80 gig. Unless of course you buy it used. The 40 gig is not PS2 compatible.

No Streaming Account
  8. shockazulu

shockazulu Jarkko Ruutu

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They've pulled all the 80GBs out of stores!

At least thats what people at Best Buy told me...

and I called all the local stores and about 5 Gamestops and none of em had any.

Said they were coming out w/ an 80GB that comes w/ a game and a rumble controller in June.

So I got a 40 GB...but I just bought a 250GB harddrive I'm gonna stick in there...but it didn't come w/ a game...and I gottta buy a rumble controller in April.

No backwards compatability...but thats OK cuz I haven't played a ps2 game in years...plus all those old games would look real crappy on my HDTV.

I only have 1 game!

No Streaming Account
  9. striker3771

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They had an update for the PS2 games a long time ago. They now play at a higher resolution. The only game I played at that time was Madden '07 and it looked pretty damn good for a PS2 game. I love the old version of Madden than this crap they're releasing on next gen. :)

No Streaming Account
  10. BLaz

BLaz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    On the contrary, PS2 games look fine on my HDTV, as well as Xbox games. Both PS3 and 360 offer upscaling for the old gen games.

The PS3 80GB returns this June bundled with Metal Gear Solid 4 and the DualShock 3 for $499.

Best bet to find a 80GB right now would be eBay and mom and pop stores.

No Streaming Account
  11. swiper19

swiper19 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so it's 80GB I am looking for in order for it to be BC?

any word on whether or not the MGS4 80 GB will be BC?

No Streaming Account
  12. BLaz

BLaz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The 80GB PS3 will be the same as it was when it returns. At least, thats what I would expect. All they really did was change the free game that came with it (the old one was Motorstorm, now its MGS4) and instead of the Sixaxis you get Dualshock 3 (which still has the Sixaxis motion controls).

As far as I know there are no hardware changes, they simply stopped shipping them out to start production on the new boxes and packaging.

No Streaming Account
  13. striker3771

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you get yours at launch? I did. So I really don't know the answer. But I've been reading the 40 gig is not BC and the new models are having problems running PS2 games online. I never had a problem playing PS2 games online. Rob's main concern is BC. My thinking is that Sony wants to shove the larger models down the consumer's throat.

Sorry I can't answer your question Rob. But here is a link, if you don't have it. You might find your answer.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board?board.id=ps3

No Streaming Account
  14. BLaz

BLaz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 60GB, and have had it since March of last year. Didnt get it at launch because I wasnt about to pay $2000. ;)

The 80GB is not full BC, but its the only one of the 2 SKUs that is BC. The 40GB lacks the emulation chips. The 60GB has actual PS2 hardware inside of it so that way it can run any PS2 game (region protected of course). The 80GB is emulation, and roughly 92-93% of the PS2 library works on it. However included in that 92-93% are games that may work but also have some problems. For that you have to check the PlayStation website. They have a thing where you can search for the game you want to play and they will list any known problems or whether or not it works at all on the 80GB model.

No Streaming Account
  15. E-Dub

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone having this problem online:

I play someone and we both have mics. But it seems they go in and out. We can't hear each other the entire game. Anybody know why?

No Streaming Account
  16. theDrummerJ99

Discord:
    theDrummerJ99#6215
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -7
    Are we gonna try and get a small league going? I was orginally gonna try and get in the MLB 2k8 league and have a free copy of 2k8 coming in the mail but after downloading the demo, I'm not really sure if I wanna mess with it. I could be wrong but doesn't the game (MLB 08) have it's own built in leagues? If so we could even do somethign like that, so Tris wouldn't have to worry about new scoreboads and whatnot.

Anyway, just trying to decide if I wanna try and get used to 2k8 just for the league.

drummerJ99
  17. ExArmySgt

ExArmySgt <b>Madden NFL Commissioner </b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the 40 Gig and don't care about backwards compatibility. I can't think of any PS2 games that I want to play seeing how I don't have the time to play the next-gen ones available now. Anyway, as great as a game that the Show is, I won't be a part of any league for it until I'm assured that the lag is not going to be an issue.

No Streaming Account
  18. theDrummerJ99

Discord:
    theDrummerJ99#6215
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -7
    So the lag is bad online? Damn that sucks. I haven't played any games online yet, so didn't know.

drummerJ99
  19. E-Dub

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've played 3 games online so far and haven't seen any lag yet.

No Streaming Account
  20. ExArmySgt

ExArmySgt <b>Madden NFL Commissioner </b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, the only game I played online was launch day so maybe it's improved. That night Deon Escobar told me that there was scheduled maintenance on the servers. I haven't tried it since.

No Streaming Account