S24 WJC Uniform Ranking - Now Featuring PSN

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming World Jr Championship (LGWJC)' started by Bicktacular, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Bicktacular

Bicktacular Dolphin Movement Founding Member

Discord:
    bicktacular#0
    Ratings:
    +573 / 10 / -23
    It's that time of the season, where international pride for completely random countries runs rampant. Fresh off the FIFA World Cup and in the middle of the real life WJC, the international competition juices should be flowing. With that, we get 15 international LG uniforms to break down and judge harshly. There is a slight difference this season, as PSN is now included in the standings with their own unique teams instead of doubling up on Xbox countries, so they are now included in the total rankings.

The usual reminders and caveats for those who've read before and for those who have maybe never seen this as they wander over from PSN:
    - I'm ranking solely off the home uniform of every team. I think/hope I have the home jersey for every team here but it's always possible that I inadvertently grabbed an alternate. If that's the case, tough luck, and feel free to link your proper jersey.
    - The whole uniform does matter. You might've created a bomb-ass jersey and then forgot to adjust the socks, that will hurt your ranking.
    - I get the uniforms off Twitch streams, so I'm at the mercy of the stream quality of whoever I could find that was broadcasting their games. Some pictures are pristine quality, others are fuzzy. It is what it is.
    - I understand it's January and a lot of CHL clubs are in use, so you might've made a fresh club. If you don't have much unlocked, then that's unfortunate but that's the way it goes, no excuses.

With all of that out of the way, let's start the countdown.

15: Latvia - PSN

We kick things off at the bottom with Latvia, who clearly looks like a new club with very little unlocked. With that said, they still did less than the bare minimum. The red isn't nearly deep enough for Latvia, we should be seeing something closer to the Avalanche burgundy. Plus they had opportunities to add black and silver, but instead we get a very boring and basic incorrect red and white.

[​IMG]

14: Ukraine - Xbox

Ukraine comes in next with a very bright yellow jersey. The biggest misstep to me was using yellow as the primary home color instead of blue. We saw an issue with Ukraine's yellow home against Sweden's yellow away, and I simply think that the blue home would look nicer. The design of the jersey is kind of whatever, nothing fancy, not absolutely horrible, but I also think there was room to add white to the jersey, even just as a slight accent.

[​IMG]

13: Poland - Xbox

Purely off a jersey design, 13th is probably too low for Poland. However when making these rankings, multiple times I had to look up who this jersey belonged to as I just can't distinguish this as Poland. It's just way too much black for Poland in my opinion and a brighter red may have helped.

[​IMG]

12: Sweden - Xbox

My adopted homeland for the next 2-4 weeks. The general idea here is fine, Sweden is pretty basic with just blue and yellow with simple striping, but I don't know if it's my eyes or the stream but it sure looks like the stripes were colored in with a lime green highlighter, I just don't see yellow here. Oddly enough the away yellow jerseys are a good shade of yellow, so I'm not sure if the same one didn't get applied to the homes for whatever reason or what happened there. That's really the only detraction for me, but on a pretty simple country it makes a big impact.

[​IMG]

11: Norway - PSN

Similar to Latvia, it looks as if Norway started a fresh club for this tournament. They did a good job with their limited resources though. The striping looks like what Norway typically goes with, the colors look good, and while white buckets may annoy some that is indeed what the real team rocks, so I can't complain there. No qualms here, just the limited options of a new club.

[​IMG]

10: Great Britain - PSN

The top 10 of this tournament is all pretty solid, and Great Britain is the first one we see here. This looks very much like the Habs Reverse Retro 1.0 jersey so it's hard for me to shake those vibes. There's nothing inherently wrong here, just personal preferences of thinking the horizontal stripes are kind of overdone unless done exceptionally well.

[​IMG]

9: Japan - Xbox

We have another jersey here that overall is pretty solid. It's a clean look, nice striping, nice sock cohesion. I think to me it's simply that we haven't seen anything unique out of Japan in WJC in awhile. I think it would be interesting if we saw a blue Japan jersey in a similar style to what their FIFA World Cup team uses, but that's just me. Once again though the red rising sun logo comes through as a good choice.

[​IMG]

8: Slovakia - PSN

There might be some gripes with Slovakia being ahead of Japan, but I give some bonus points to countries that I feel are hard to make look good or unique. I think these are a very nice setup, the jerseys look clean, the socks have some cohesion with the sleeve stripes in a reversed manner, I like them. They have a slight feel of ripping off the Capitals blue alternate jersey, but it's not glaringly obvious.

[​IMG]

7: USA - PSN

Ol' reliable USA comes through with another solid uniform this tournament. These give off vibes of the 1980 jerseys, which is never a bad thing. I think these might be a little too simple, which is why they're in 7th as opposed to higher in what is a pretty strong WJC uniform class. The logo is fine, and while I'm sure this is a result of not having enough options, seeing stars galore on the jersey is what would take it over the top for me. I think having the star pants template or certain shoulder logos would improve these greatly.

[​IMG]

6: Canada - Xbox

Canada comes through with a nice and sleek black and red look. Once again another jersey that I don't really have any true complaints about, it's simply a matter of placing it where I see fit. And while it's a nice jersey, I think I much prefer the black as an alternate instead of the primary jersey (and hopefully I did find the primary jersey here).

[​IMG]

5: Austria - PSN

I'm pretty torn on these if I'm being honest. On one hand, I really like the design. Bonus points for the socks working perfectly with the jersey. I think there might be just a little too much going on though, and that's what's separating these from a respectable ranking to a top of the group rank. I think a black front logo might've popped a bit better on the crest as well, but that's a very small gripe.

[​IMG]

4: Czechia - PSN

Similar to Slovakia, I think the Czechs are a bit tough to make look good in a way that stands out, but I really like these. The white shoulders always look good on this team, I'm liking the striping on the rest of the jersey, and while the sock pattern isn't perfect with the jersey, they did a good job getting it in the ballpark with their options. I'm on the fence on the chrome domes here, but it doesn't detract much. The lion logo gives bonus points for the Czech feel given their usual coat of arms logo.

[​IMG]

3: Germany - Xbox

A common theme every WJC is that I want to see Germany come through with solid uniforms. The past couple I think Germany either tried too much or didn't try at all, but this one is really simple and solid. You've got the striping making the German flag, good shades of red and yellow, socks that work pretty well with the uniform, it's a good kit. My only complaint, if it even is one, is the heavy Vancouver vibes. The jersey looks very much like the classic 90s Canucks, but it's a great jersey so who can really complain. The presence of Johnny Canuck doesn't dissuade those thoughts, but I still like it.

[​IMG]

2: Switzerland - Xbox

Earlier in this post I sad that the horizontal stripe needs to be done exceptionally well since it seems to get a bit overused. Well I think the Swiss did it exceptionally well. Just a very clean setup, a nice red that pops, a nifty dragon logo, I like what I see. The socks aren't 100% cohesive here, but it's not a huge complaint in this case.

[​IMG]

1: Finland - Xbox

I've often said that Finland is one of my favorite countries for international setups, and I feel like they're almost always done dirty in WJC. At long last they have what I feel is a very strong uniform. The two tones of blue, a logo that pops with a different color similar to the real Finnish team, I'm really digging everything going on here. Very similar feel to the Olympic uniform Finland won gold in, so that's never a bad idea to emulate those.

[​IMG]

There are your S24 uniform rankings, or S16 rankings if you believe in the PSN calendar. The last 2 tournaments I think teams have really started to step up their game when it comes to uniform creation, so it gets harder and harder each time to separate the teams that put effort into their setup. I think you can make an argument for pretty much anyone in the top 7 to be #1, so disagree with me as you will.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 5
    Bicktacular