sosa for green ?

Discussion in 'General Sports Talk Forum' started by burntCanunck, Nov 7, 2004.

1. burntCanunck

burntCanunck Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3143406

just read it here, that would be crazy. not sure if sosa could help but you never know.. if somehow they can keep green and sosa now that would be a stellar deal.

No Streaming Account
  2. Alcoholic2k4

Alcoholic2k4 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    screw that crap, i've been a cubs fan since i can remember living life and i want sosa to retire a cub. the city loves him and the rest of the cubs fans love him. couldn't care less about shaun green. he dosent have the presense in a lineup like sosa, even if sosa struggles, you know the hitters around him are going to see some good pitches.

come on :chic: , do the right thing by keeping sosa!

No Streaming Account
  3. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I have been a Cubs fan my whole life also....but these past few years Sosa has lost it. Sure I would like to see him retire as a Cub but it isn't gonna happen.

Also, why would the Cubs go after Green??? Why get another 1B when you have Lee?

Gajeske85
  4. Alcoholic2k4

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

im assuming he would go back to the outfield in replacement of sosa, or maybe they will trade for him and then use derek lee as trait bait or something like that.

but if the cubs do that, there really going to piss me off, i dont know how much longer i can be a cubs fan when management likes to shoot its self in the foot.

No Streaming Account
  5. CanEHdian

CanEHdian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Shawn Green is a natural RF and has one of the best arms in the game. Cubs need to get rid of Sosa and his 30 mil deal for this year.

No Streaming Account
  6. Alcoholic2k4

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sosa has something that no one else in baseball has right now except for albert pujols. PRESENCE. it dosent matter had bad of a streak sosa is ever in just knowing that he can unleash on you at any time means the batters around him are going to see some good pitches to hit, im sorry but if im a pitcher im sure as hell gonna be more free with my pitching to shaun Green before i let a fastball go over the plate to Sosa. lets not forget that Sosa is the only player in MLB history to hit 60 HR in 3 straight seasons.

No Streaming Account
  7. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I don't know, Sosa was a joke this past season. I would love to see the Cubs dump him and his huge salary. Think of what they would be able to do with all that new cap room.

Yea, I forgot Green is a natural OF, now that you say that I remember him playing OF. That would be a good trade as he would be cheaper and Green also can hit for power.

Gajeske85
  8. burntCanunck

burntCanunck Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    green comes with a 16mil price tag as well

No Streaming Account
  9. CanEHdian

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ya that's great and all but that was like 3 years ago. You obviously have no idea how good Shawn Green really is. Everybody can see Sosa is not even close to what he used to be and pitchers are not even close to being as afraid of him as they used to be. He strikes out so much now that Im sure most good pitchers when they see him coming up are thinking just another K in the stats book.

No Streaming Account
  10. Alcoholic2k4

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im aware of shaun greens talent, or lack there of, my father is 62 years old and has been a dodger fan since the days in booklyn.

No Streaming Account
  11. CanEHdian

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lack there of, that must be about Sosa as Green has no lack of talent. He's a 5 tool player and Sosa is just a HR threat once in while now. He can't field, can't run that great anymore, arm is about average, strikes out WAY too much. So ya Green is the one with lack of talent, gimme a break :roll:

No Streaming Account
  12. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No money saving either way, so ditch that idea. I wouldn't mind seing either person out in LA :D

No Streaming Account
  13. mnkytrix

mnkytrix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I read the paper on Friday morning here in LA and was appalled at the idea of Sosa coming to the Dodgers. I can't even believe DePodesta would consider trading for an overrated OF whom no doubt has struggled since the implementation of steroid testing! Sosa doesn't have presence; he has an attitude - not a team player!

For the past few seasons, the last two in particular, Green has been labeled as a failure because he has "struggled." I want a "struggling" player to play on my team that can put up numbers like these:
    19 HR, 85 RBI, 49 doubles ? coming after shoulder surgery (2003)
    28 HR, 86 RBI, 28 doubles ? (2004)
    Green wasn?t the offensive focal point for the first time since he became a Dodger and I think it helped his power numbers. I look for next year to really see if he ?still has it.? He wants to stay a Dodger, so keep him and let him finish the last year of his contract!

I honestly don't think DePodesta has the audacity to pull off a trade like this for a player that is going to cost the Dodgers more in the long run. If the Dodgers want an outfielder that is going to cost them a ton of money, go after Beltran (10 years is ridiculous!) and keep Green and his contract. Or here is an even crazier idea - sign Beltre, Finely and Glaus! Turn Glaus into a 1B and put Green back in RF. Finely stays in CF and Bradley becomes the everyday LF. Beltre is obviously at 3B and turn Jayson Werth back into a catcher! This could solve the Dodgers problems all over the field.

Granted, it won't happen that way, but it would be a way to keep the Dodgers at that $100M mark and significantly improve their offense!

No Streaming Account
  14. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I read Dodgers want to sign Glaus and turn him to 1st. Too bad there is no DH in NL, turn Glaus to the DH ;).

Jayson Werth would be great back behind the plate, better than Brett Mayne who couldn't hit Jupiter For Crying Out Loud!!!

No Streaming Account