Team Tennis, Davis Cup type play?

Discussion in 'LG World Tour' started by Babolat, Sep 16, 2003.

1. young

young Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how do you know? i know the team i'm on doesn't care what country we're from and we're all US (except for goalie).

maybe a poll? you can be on the US if you'd like. looks like you're attached to florida/usa.

No Streaming Account
  2. TMG620

TMG620 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    I agree with the use of Team Names, but still not sure of using existing Teams, only because of the "What If" factor. What if this gets bigger and better than we anticipate and it grows to 2 or more leagues. If we're going to develop our own players, why not create our own Leagues & Teams. Football, Baseball & Basketball I understand. But isn't Tennis an individual's sport? I hope nobody takes offense. I'm not trying to soapbox or grandstand, I just want to make sure that all options for growth are considered.

No Streaming Account
  3. Babolat

Babolat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually, I don't know. I just think people would rather use team names, then be named after countries. After a few countries are picked, we would be left with Morrocco, India, Iraq, whatever. Using team names, instead of countries would be better suited. I think people would rather name thier own teams, then be "Team Australia" with nothing to do with that country. And its more fun.

The "What If" factor I'm not understanding. Tennis is an everything sport. And in between tournements, people play Davis Cup, Team Tennis, and other things. Tennis is mainly individual, but Davis Cup is out there, and I think we should have that as well. Between the 14 Single/Double tourneys, people play the Davis Cup matches 4 times a year (depending if they win). Davis Cup will not be anywhere as important as the singles or doubles, but something on the side to change things up a bit.

No Streaming Account
  4. TMG620

TMG620 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    Sorry Joe, I don't mean to be vague. I totally agree that Davis Cup (Team Tennis) would be a great addition to the other Tennis we will be playing. The " What If " I'm concerned about is; as I understand it. Davis Cup teams consist of 6 players (y/n). The site you showed us shows 10 teams, so roughly 60 players. What if this becomes a very popular game and 20 teams or 120 players want to play and be a part of this site. Should we consider using different team names for the possibility of 2 or more TEAM leagues running at the same time. Sorry, I hope this makes more sense.

Lets chat sometime. TEAM MAROON

No Streaming Account
  5. Babolat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There is no need for an apology, we just had to clear up what we meant. The thing that I'm trying to incorporate is a mix between Team Tennis and Davis Cup. In Team Tennis, there are about 10 teams which play more of a season type thing, but in Davis Cup there are about 40 teams - one team for each country that has any tennis following, that have a more single elimination until there is one champion each year. So if there was even a big demand for this, we would probably just add more teams in to the mix, and make more than one world group or have a bigger draw. It get really complicated to explain, but something in that area. I'm am still trying to think about this, so please keep on adding your thoughts. They are graetly appreciated.

Wow, Team Maroon brings back some memories. :)

No Streaming Account
  6. TMG620

TMG620 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    C O O L !

With both Team & Davis Cup type Tennis there is plenty of room for growth plus MORE " T E N N I S ".

I Like it. Bring it on !!!!

P.S. I envy the undertaking your about to take on in managing all of this. If I can help let me know.

No Streaming Account
  7. Babolat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sure, anyone with tennis knowledge would be a help. What is your background with tennis? Maybe we can make you co-commish. I could probably use some help with all this. Especially if we get over the 64 member mark.

No Streaming Account
  8. woobwoob

woobwoob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If this gets realized, i'll take South Korea and let you guys fight over usa and canada.

No Streaming Account
  9. young

young Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'm just saying that if we're doing the Davis Cup, we do countries. othewise, we're playing team tennis.

imo, i'd rather do Davis Cup and we'll take morroco. (it sounds like most people have no problem w/ not being the USA or Canada).

but, if you want to setup a team tennis tour, that's ok.

No Streaming Account
  10. Babolat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Like I said, we are still throwing out ideas. We will lean towards a Team Tennis and a Davis Cup type mix. If we are named after countries, cities, or types of goats really isn't important right now. We just want to see what is in the interest of the people of this site.

No Streaming Account
  11. TMG620

TMG620 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    I've been laughing for a hour now!!!!

" Types of Goats " tff

Good stuff guys.

No Streaming Account
  12. Vagetarian

Vagetarian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    while we are all throwing out ideas i have one:

Bobalat
    Tris10
    Vagetarian
    TMG620

:D :D :D

No Streaming Account
  13. TMG620

TMG620 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

Oh, I suppose! Are you guys any good ! :wink:

No Streaming Account
  14. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,737 / 89 / -327

No, i've never played the game :p

15. MR PAPPAGI0RGIO

MR PAPPAGI0RGIO Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The more ways to have competition the better! I am getting really excited for this, I can't wait to see what kind of things are going to be set up for this game and the Davis Cup Tourney sounds like a damn good start =P~

No Streaming Account
  16. TMG620

TMG620 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    With the release just a few weeks away is there still any attempts to put together Teams?

No Streaming Account
  17. jackBURTON

jackBURTON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This sounds like a great idea! Would the matches follow regular Davis cup format, ie four singles matches and 1 doubles match per country meeting? If there was an overflow of people, you could always have team alternates like Davis Cup uses (might not be too fun for the alternates though). You could even nominate a coach for each team to select the right matchups for each match/surface - just a thought.

No Streaming Account
  18. Tennis Playa

Tennis Playa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If we are in the singles league, will we be required to play doubles and Davis Cup style competitions? I am only interested in the singles league at this time.

No Streaming Account
  19. TMG620

TMG620 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    Knowing that doubles play on LIVE is not available, we will be bringing Team Play back to the forefront for discussion?

No Streaming Account
  20. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,737 / 89 / -327
    Yes, we have something in the works reguarding team tennis. We are currently working behind the scene's for the single's season (which i might add is almost ready to go live).
    Once we get the singles up and running we will start work on our team - tennis league.

Look back for more details soon.