The Boss....Right or Wrong?

Discussion in 'General Sports Talk Forum' started by socalguy, Jul 26, 2004.

1. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Boss....Right or

Just wanted to get some coversation going moving on the boss, George Steinbrenner, and what you think of it all.

Obviously you hear both sides of the news and about how George is changing the game of baseball due to getting all the All-Stars.

Personally, I don't think anything is wrong with it, afterall he is putting his own money into it all and should be able to do what he wants. His motto is "winning is next to breathing" or something very similar, and some people see the game that way. I don't have any problem with it at all, as I said, it is his money, so nobody should be able to say it is wrong.

No Streaming Account
  2. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure it's right or wrong but I am sure that I don't like what he is doing. But then it again when the NL wins the World Series it makes it that much sweeter.

No Streaming Account
  3. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Baseball needs a salary cap but its not going to happen anytime soon. Until then George is playing within the rules. Besides its coming back to haunt him now as the Yankees farm system is pathetic after trading all their prospects away.

Also the other owners are making out too. The Yankees had to pay like 12 million in luxury tax and 50 million in revenue sharing. Not to mention they are the games biggest draw on the road and sell the most merchandise which is also shared among the other owners.

No Streaming Account
  4. t_roy

t_roy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It only hurst him more when he does'nt win the Wolrd Series..... :) In addition I am not sure if the World Series his underlying plan. I am sure that the money he makes off the road and merchandise due to having all the High Profile players is really at the core of the situation. Now I know he wants to win, but $$$$$$ talks and BullSHitt walks. ;)

No Streaming Account
  5. Golden Gophers

Golden Gophers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would have to agree with many of the statements above. I don't beleive that he is doing anything outside of the guidelines of the MLB, but it certainly does nothing for me. It is like asking the same question about the Red Wings in hockey. You don't have to like it, but there is nothing wrong with it. Another reason a lot of these high profile players go to such teams like these is that there is a certain prestige to play in the pinstripes or in red. I don't see it as wrong and I don't mind it as long as they don't win.

No Streaming Account
  6. CanEHdian

CanEHdian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well it's not like he's doing anything wrong but I dont think it's right. As long as they dont get Randy Johnson they wont win it again this year, it's pretty bad though when one team is this much higher then any other team in the majors. Until there is a cap implemented he can keep on keeping on, and we all know a cap will never happen in baseball. I think it's funny that the NFL has a cap and is by far the most watched sport.

As for comparing them to the Red Wings it's no comparison. There are a good 4 or 5 teams who have payroll equal to or higher then the Wings, but there is not 1 team in the majors even close to the Yankees payroll. I remember seeing somewhere the Yankees payroll is something like 190 mil for the year. Now the Red Wings are usually around 60-70 mil which Im sure Colorado, NY Rangers, Toronto and Philly are right there with them.

No Streaming Account
  7. burntCanunck

burntCanunck Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the problem with not getting johnson is that randy said it's NY or nothing .

he has the say and it sucks... damn you yankees

No Streaming Account
  8. PhilipRivers17

PhilipRivers17 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i dont likke teh fact that the boss can buy a team where everyone else has to rebuild from minor prospects. Its not really fair, like MP said it jsut makes it that much sweeter when the NL wins, or anyone else but the yankees for that matter

No Streaming Account
  9. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah but other owners have the money to do this same thing also, they just chose not to.

If I owned me an MLB team, and were willing to put money into it like Steinbrenner does now, I would be out there buying all the best players.

I love winning too, but I like some other things more which would hold me back from owning a team anyway. A lot of you guys would buy your championships like him if you had the money to do so.

No Streaming Account
  10. socalguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also guys, look at Real Madrid in soccer in the Spaniesh Premier league. They have pretty much everybody in soccer that most people have heard of. They will possibly be losing David Beckham to either Barcelona, or back to English Premiership League, but they just got Patrick Vieria.

But then again, they are owned by the King of Madrid or governor whatever you want to call him.

No Streaming Account
  11. goalie

goalie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    George is right - the rules of baseball that ALLOW him to do this are wrong.

ANY owner could spend ALL of his $, like George does. They just don't.

(and this from a very jealous Met fan)

No Streaming Account