The Management Dilemma

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by Too Much Twoco, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Too Much Twoco

Too Much Twoco Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Too Much Twoco#2520
    Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -17
    This thread is a sort of spin-off to the one @SweetLou9208 posted:

https://www.leaguegaming.com/forums/index.php?threads/has-lghl-become-stale.301566/

there is a really good discussion there with issues, and if you haven’t checked it out, I highly recommend doing so.

I wanted to create this thread because I know multiple people (including me) have brought up the management skill gap as a big issue. I wanted to try and generate a focused discussion on this topic to try and come up with some way to reduce this gap because I think any changes could be implemented fairly quickly (summer season). Below are what I believe to be the benefits of improving the management skill gap:

1. More balanced teams
    2. A more competitive and therefore more fun LG experience
    3. Less ECU army games
    4. Less cancerous behavior (hopefully)

In terms of possible solution ideas:

1. More strict criteria for management selection (ensure better managers)

2. Added bonuses or perks to those who choose to be management (increase available pool of managers to choose from)

3. Additional tools to help newer or less experienced managers to mitigate learning curve and increase chances of their first or second season being toxic.

If you have other benefits or ideas, or some specifics for one of the one I mentioned, post below. In terms of the management criteria one, I think we would want to get some type of rules such as:

1. must have had at least one winning season in a league in the last “X” amount of seasons in order to be management eligible for it.

2. “X” amount of losing seasons in a row will result in a person being unable to manage in whichever league they were in until they have a winning season as a player.

That logic above is far from perfect, but that’s why I made the thread!

• Winner Winner x 2
    No Streaming Account
  2. JayyDubski

JayyDubski LGCHL Director

Discord:
    dayoungbuck#0
    Ratings:
    +3,458 / 325 / -613
    One of the major reasons why there are so many "bad" or "poor" management teams now, which in the end, does create a lot of bottom teams is because of lot of the top talent players feel like management is a CHORE now. This league is supposed to be about having fun while being competitive.

With the game being at the point where it's not fun to play it, the people applying for management alone has dropped drastically over the past few seasons. It's not that the league is choosing "bad" or "poor" Owners/Management. The problem is that not many "top quality players" WANT to be management anymore.

Otherwise, not bad thoughts.

• Informative Informative x 1
    DaYoungBuck
  3. RGDeded

RGDeded Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,213 / 47 / -134
    There isn't really a sure fire way to secure "Better Management" If you look at the apps the majority are fringe NHL players at best.

People don't realize how much work it actually takes to build a competitive team and being a free baby sitter for 16 other guys + an AHL team and all the other TC guys messaging you daily. It is a shit ton of work, but the issue is some people just aren't cut out to be a manager. Because you are a great player it doesn't mean you will be a great owner/gm and people these days just aren't dedicated especially when there really isn't much to gain from it. People don't take pride in the work they do and players just expect to be on a contender. Its a bunch of snowflakes that ruin it for everyone.

The management criteria is relatively strict but how are we going to fill the 8 open teams when only 2 of the 10 apps actually qualify?

New management get help and seasoned managers are all more than willing to reach out and help the new guys. The thing is a lot of the "new" managers want to be dicks and prove a point. My 1st season as management I accommodated players as long as they helped me and I would tell them right off the rip if you aren't a pain in the ass I will take care of you and that helped me build relationships with players and as I became a more known owner people wanted to play for me because I took care of them in the past.

We have tried in the past numerous times to make the management pool better or make management more appealing but the biggest issue is and will always be the players feeling they are entitled to whatever they want. Obviously some guys are soldiers and the majority of the guys in the league are good people but damn there are some absolute headcases that make shit a nightmare.

Everything you said would help but it is nothing that hasn't been suggested before, the desire to manage just isn't there for the bulk of the community and there are many reasons behind it. Maybe there is a stigma that you have to be an 8m player to be a manager or you have to be a big name with a proven track record. I personally feel we just need to find guys who are good enough to be in the NHL and care enough to build a good team.

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 6
    ReallyGooodDad
  4. xJLucas

xJLucas Well-Known Member

Discord:
    xjlucas#0
    Ratings:
    +272 / 12 / -19
    Management relegation should be a thing. Miss playoffs too much-down to the ahl. Do well consistently- graduation time. Bet you can make a spreadsheet that shows it’s the same names of guys always making lghl playoffs every season

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    No Streaming Account
  5. FrenchMoron

FrenchMoron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,056 / 70 / -198
    Should make it a 16 team league then right? No points in having 16 Owners who can't make playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  6. l Bossy l x 22

l Bossy l x 22 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +3,325 / 126 / -162
    This thread hasn't gotten enough of a conversation going, so I figured I'd throw my two cents in as someone who's been a free contract/Owner at the NHL level in the recent past, and who won't consider doing it again with the current system.

As RGD said, we've got two or three managers who's main job is basically babysitting. Most of this community are genuinely good or at least decent people, but there are still far too many Cancers who detract from everything. Not to mention mostly grown adults who need you to hold their hands and need a manager there each and every game in order to play a game. Seriously we're all adults, it's kind of sad. In all of my seasons, I've seen maybe two or three lines total on my teams (as a player or manager) capable of getting themselves together without a manager around.

Not only are we babysitting, we get absolutely nothing for it, and our "Bosses" (Brodie and the Bogs) give us zero benefit of the doubt when issues arise. The word of the Bogs/Brodie is gold, but the word of the managers who have spent countless hours over the years in this league, much like they have, typically means absolutely nothing. What they says goes. There is no debate. Even when you're appealing something (which is literally a debate) you're told that you're wrong because they said so.

I respect the hell out of managers who still put themselves through this, and I do everything I can to help out my managers as AGM or even just as a player out of that respect. Unfortunately too many players in this league fail to understand it.

Unless changes are made... Why would quality people/managers want to continue working a generally miserable part-time job with horrible bosses, and getting nothing out of it other than "fun" on NHL20?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    bossy_22_
  7. Too Much Twoco

Discord:
    Too Much Twoco#2520
    Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -17
    From this thread and to an extent Sweet Lou’s thread, a core problem seems to be that until we find a way to increase the number of people willing to be management, we won’t be able to take other actions such as stricter requirements for management or relegations or whatever ideas the community comes up with.

So what could LG management do to make management more worthwhile? I believe someone mentioned free entry into E-Sports events? I agree there definitely needs to be some type of perks for managers as I have done it twice, and it’s definitely a commitment if trying to do it right.

• Like Like x 3
    No Streaming Account
  8. Hansum Horty

Hansum Horty Well-Known Member

Discord:
    hansum_horty#0
    Ratings:
    +832 / 54 / -127
    Managers that win should get platinum membership to site for the next season. Giving 9 plats a year isn’t going to hurt LG right @Tris10 ?

Well 9x3 I guess is more accurate but they only get it for the season after they win

No Streaming Account
  9. BUFFALO STAR 23

BUFFALO STAR 23 Discord - Buffalo Star 23#4325

Discord:
    Buffalo Star 23#4325
    Ratings:
    +75 / 7 / -6
    If the Free Contracts are taken out of play and a peer salary arbitration system is implemented it would level the playing field and remove the super team idea from becoming a problem. Then as long as all Management is at least NHL level players. It would make building teams much more balanced. The only thing needed to be adjusted season to season would be player salaries. Increase those who over perform and decrease those who under perform.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    BuffaloStar23
  10. FrenchMoron

FrenchMoron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,056 / 70 / -198
    Seems fun and all. But how do you measure suh thing? There's some guys with 20 wins that aren't worth much more than 500k and there's kids with 15 who shoulda had 20+. The current system in place works fine and should stay the same. The only problem is trying to find good enough players who are willing to sacrifice countless hours, baby sitting and doing everything in their power to put together 6 for 9 games a week, all while maintaining a certain level of play.

There a lot of guys who don't care about W and L as much as they do getting their 3 games in a week, those guys are gems, but the reality is, bad owners go after those guys because A. They don't have the skill. 2. They don't wanna deal with the drama. 3. Winning virtual hockey ain't a priority.

The reality is that there's a lot of hormonal kids and old men still tryna live up to their glory days. Doing so without being hand in hand with their virtual friends is the end of the world as they get exposed. They aren't in the League for the concept, but for the constant circle jerk. Sadly, that won't ever be fixed as this is a free league are there are many ways to work around the system.

It's a league and in a league there are teams that miss playoffs. @JClaus33 missed playoffs last season. Was a few points from winning a President this season and are in the Conference Finals. Anything can happen in this game. We've also seen really good players being awful owners because it's time consuming and especially because their interpersonal skills are just terrible.

The truth is, there will never be 32 perfect managers. And even if there was.. Only 16 of them would make playoffs. Stop trying to overthink this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  11. Too Much Twoco

Discord:
    Too Much Twoco#2520
    Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -17
    I’m bumping this because I got a PM today saying half the teams in the NHL STILL need ownership several days before the offseason begins. Seriously?! Meanwhile, @Dangs92 is getting put on NML because his team quit on him the final 2 days after being eliminated.

IMAGINE having a good, seasoned player who WANTS to manage, and not allowing him while simultaneously asking for 16 people to fill the highest level of the league.

There are valid reasons for people being put on NML but LG gets in its own way sometimes with these rules. And make no mistake, this affects EVERYTHING. After hearing this, I may ikely may sign up after NHL bidding because I don’t want to get stuck on a bad team getting slaughtered every night. Now I’m no one special but I guarantee many better players may not sign up or sign up after NHL bidding to avoid the likely train wreck

the management issue is affecting the quality of play at the highest level of LG. I get that it can’t ever be a perfect system like @FrenchMoron alluded to, but to deny there isn’t a problem may be the biggest problem of all.

• Winner Winner x 3
    No Streaming Account