Top 10 most dominant Athletes of all time.

Discussion in 'General Sports Talk Forum' started by o La Vie o, Jan 29, 2010.

1. o La Vie o

o La Vie o Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This makes for some fun discussion. Makes for good subjective conversation. When I say dominant, i think of an athlete that was above and beyond what the rest of the competition was doing.

throw out who you think is the most dominant athlete of all time, or even name some all time dominant performances in sports history. There is no right or wrong answers here lets play nice.

My list will probably change over time as I do more research on the athletes. I'm a big Tennis/Hockey/Volleyball fan but other than that my knowledge isn't extensive in other sports. Other than Federer whom I think is #1, the others are in no particular order.

1. Roger Federer
    2. Wayne Gretzky
    3. Tiger Woods
    4. michael Phelps
    5. muhammad ali
    6. michael schumacher
    7. Pele
    8. Usain Bold
    9. Michael Jordan
    10 Jimmy Johnson

No Streaming Account
  2. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    Pretty strong list. I'm a huge fan of Federer but not sure i'd put him #1, especially with Nadel having a better record vs him.

Also gotta give Bolt huge credit for being the fastest human ever, an action that every human can compete in and he's the fastest ever

3. whatsUPitsFARVA

whatsUPitsFARVA Katy Perry. NEW HOTNESS!

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Theres a lot of great people there. I don't know about a top ten but someone I would probably have in mine is Floyd Mayweather in place of JJ.

I would also have to think about putting in Anderson Silva but I don't know who I would take off the list to put him there.

No Streaming Account
  4. Stewkos

Stewkos Veteran Presence

Discord:
    Stewkos#4830
    Ratings:
    +869 / 12 / -17
    Tough to come up with only 10, especially considering a lot of the individual accomplishments are amazing. Farva, while I would like to put Floyd up there, I really think I need to see him and Pac man fight. To bust out a cliche you gotta beat the best to be the best, and until these two shut up and fight it's tough to anoint either one of them more dominant then the other.

Not gonna put this in order but I'll give it a shot.

Federer
    Woods
    Magic Johnson (dude had 5 championships and 3 MVPs, while retiring at 31 I think)
    Phelps
    Bolt
    Gretzky
    Bobby Orr
    Babe Ruth (fat ****er hit more HRs then most teams)
    Jerry Rice
    Tim Tebow

Tebow is a tough one, but 2 national championships a Heisman trophy as a sophomore (finalist 3 times). In his 4 years at Florida the lowest they finished ranked was 14th, with 3 finishes in the top 5. While you can't ignore the dominance of Jimmie Johnson, it's tough for me to say hes a dominant Athlete, he drives a car. Not saying I could do it but its hard for me to call drivers athletes.

No Streaming Account
  5. o La Vie o

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good names out there.

I'm gonna throw one at Jesse Owens. Post slavery era, possibly the first dominant black athlete.

And Tris, Nadal has had the best record vs federer for sure. But to place in the semi finals 23 times in a row and make the finals 10 times in a row is insane. He has also won just over 70% of the grand slam tournaments over the last 6 years, with Nadal winning another like 20%. Leaving a mere 10% for mere mortals to scrounge.

70% is a dominating number to me and why he is my #1. He may not be the greatest athlete that ever lived that another discussion. But as far as dominant over his sport, it's the greatest lobside(lol pun, get it... lob... tennis :) effort I believe.

No Streaming Account
  6. XxRypien37xX

XxRypien37xX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mayweather would be a joke on that list. Ducked fights left and right throughout his career because the guy who might beat him "doesn't draw". No fighter aside from Ali belongs on the list.

No Streaming Account
  7. whatsUPitsFARVA

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I respect your opinion.

No Streaming Account
  8. DTA Today

DTA Today am j0 buddin on nu jerzy

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -2
    may be true but look he's fighting mosley and if he wins that then hopefully he and Pacquiao will come to terms on a fight.

No Streaming Account
  9. XxRypien37xX

XxRypien37xX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah he pretty conveniently decides to fight him now because there is no one else, Mosley will be 17 months inactive in May and almost 39.

No Streaming Account
  10. whatsUPitsFARVA

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think Mayweather is a huge douche and I hate his face but I can't argue with 40-0. He has faced some very solid competition. Picked everyone of them apart and made some extremely fast people look slow and unable to throw a punch.

If hes not on your top ten list. Cool. . . He makes mine without a doubt after going back and looking at some of his fights.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
    No Streaming Account
  11. o La Vie o

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't watch alot of boxing, but outside of my big 8 (which I think belong for sure) there is room for two more guys. I couldn't think of 2 others even as close as dominant as the previous 8 but mayweahter could be in there, 40-0 is pretty damn dominant maybe the fact that he ducked some top opponents doesn't get him higher than 10th.

And with that, R - Fed wins his 16th major championship at the age of 28. Anyone watch the Australia open?... Andy Murray is gonna be a future champion but he is just a young buck, Federer took him in 3 straight sets with the third set being the only one that tested Federer going to a tie break. I am thoroughly amazed by this guy.

Federer could finish his career with 20 plus majors.

No Streaming Account
  12. DTA Today

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -2
    I think Annika Sorenstam deserves some love. I know, I know womens golf har har, but she did have a pretty damn good run before she retired.

No Streaming Account
  13. whatsUPitsFARVA

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Could she dominate tiger woods though? She dominates from the ladies tees lol. Maybe on a top ten dominate females list.

No Streaming Account
  14. DTA Today

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -2
    Oh no I agree, but its most dominant in your own category or field. I can't compare her to the men, but in the LPGA she was dominant.

No Streaming Account
  15. whatsUPitsFARVA

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    See I just got to put it to sport for me. Womens-Mens golf is one with me. You put John Daly (even though he lost a lot of weight) in his own category of massively overweight fat guys that golf and he could be dominate lol.

Theres a new all white basketball league coming out this year or next. Would we take the most dominate white guy from that league and throw him in also?

I see where you are coming from though it just starts off a whole other list. What about Lisa Leslie, Candace Parker, or Sheryll Swoopes?

No Streaming Account
  16. DTA Today

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -2
    Yeah I understand what you mean, I still wouldn't have her top 10, but in the top 25 somewhere.

Also I read about that league, focusing on the fundamentals not the streetball aspects of it. Which is kind of getting away from the roots of the game but whatever. Its racist and retarted to me lol.

p.s. Candace Parker just out of sheer attractivness out of the 3 you listed lol.

No Streaming Account
  17. whatsUPitsFARVA

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. Candace is pretty sheksi lol.

No Streaming Account
  18. o La Vie o

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All white basketball league.....

So are the nets going to be 6 feet tall?

No Streaming Account
  19. whatsUPitsFARVA

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It will be spectacular. A league full of ally-oop lay ups, lay ups, three pointers, opposite hand lay ups, and long 2 pointers.

Did you guys hear what they are changing in the league? They are taking the 3 point line away and making dunks worth 3. OKAY that was a lie but I think its a good idea.

No Streaming Account
  20. Gerbox 360

Gerbox 360 Gerbox is so 2009

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Kobayashi.

That hot dog eating guy.

No Streaming Account