Topspin, hands on preview at gamespot

Discussion in 'LG World Tour' started by woobwoob, Aug 6, 2003.

1. woobwoob

woobwoob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Topspin, hands on pr

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/topspin/preview_6072899.html

Microsoft had a new build of Top Spin on display at a recent event demonstrating games that support the XSN service. It's pretty obvious that the developers working on the game are trying to create an experience similar to that of Sega's Virtua Tennis, and it appears that they've been mostly successful so far. Many of the gameplay mechanics are quite similar, such as the ability to hold down a shot button to get a more powerful stroke and the inclusion of a serve meter that dictates the strength of your serve. However, Top Spin has a number of unique features that make the gameplay a little more robust.

For example, there is high risk, high reward shot that you can execute by pulling one of the two triggers on the Xbox controller. When you do this, a small meter with a fast-moving bar will appear--the idea is to stop the bar in the middle of the meter to hit a perfect shot. Of course, since the bar moves so fast, it's pretty difficult to execute these shots consistently, but they're quite useful when you have your opponent on the run. In addition, Top Spin has different types of shots mapped to the face buttons on the Xbox controller, so if you want to hit a lob, for example, you simply press the corresponding button. The same goes for top-spin shots and slices, though you can always put a little spin on the ball by pressing the analog stick in a certain direction.

Not surprisingly, the game is pretty impressive visually. While the courts in the game aren't licensed, they still look great, and even the smallest details are clearly visible. The character models also look quite good and are easily recognizable--especially Pete Sampras and Anna Kournikova.

As far as Xbox Live functionality is concerned, Top Spin will be one of several upcoming games that will support XSN. As such, you can form online leagues with other players and compete in single-elimination tournaments. There are plans to hold special events, such as the equivalent of Wimbledon or the French Open, but no time frame has really been given on when this feature will be implemented. Top Spin is scheduled for release in late October.

No Streaming Account
  2. Babolat

Babolat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are there any new vids in there Woob?

No Streaming Account
  3. woobwoob

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nope, i am stoked about the functionality they described above with the spins and trigger action.

No Streaming Account
  4. Babolat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Should excel what Virtua Tennis had. Just two buttons for shots was not enough for me. This from what I read, will use every button. Even a button to argue call and pump up the crown and/or act disgusted.

No Streaming Account
  5. woobwoob

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    would be cool if there was an easter egg for throwing your racket? i'd love to make the line judge run if he messes up a call...

would also be fun to have a mini game "ball boy attack" where the ball boys run across the court and you have to hit them like the ducks at a carnival. HAHAHA

we'll see, at the very least, this will be an awesome game.

No Streaming Account
  6. Babolat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Evil Woob, you think very evil. Poor little ball boys.

No Streaming Account
  7. woobwoob

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just watched an interview w/ one of the developers and he kept mentioning that your will have to build your character's skills and add shots your arsenal. He mentioned that attitude will be emphasized a lot as well. The character creation part is one of the most extensive character generators out there. Should be pretty cool!

No Streaming Account
  8. Babolat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I can't wait to train and build the player just like me. And on my spare time, build my boy Roddick as well.

No Streaming Account
  9. woobwoob

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    still no mention if you be able to play doubles w/ 4 people on live yet... i figured they would have said that. Surely it HAS to be in the game, i'll be disappointed if it isn't.

No Streaming Account
  10. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The only sports game confirmed to have that feature so far is NHL Rivals (6 XBox's total can play, 10 total people can play).

No Streaming Account
  11. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thats crazy...so every player could be controlled by a human?

No Streaming Account
  12. woobwoob

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    omg, that would have to be an allstar exhibition event! then again it could be a lagfest....

No Streaming Account
  13. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    wow, i can't wait for this game, god i just hope it plays well, or as well as V-Tennis for Dreamcast...

Can i get a count down going?

14. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that's correct, provided you have 6 XBoxes hooked up with 10 people at them.

From reading the developer's comments in the forums at operationsports.com it seems there isn't much lag when playing this way. From what I've seen and read about Rivals, it seems to be more action/arcade oriented (right up your alley MP) but I might get it anyway just for some mindless button mashing. :wink:

No Streaming Account
  15. Babolat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For the tennis part, playing doubles with 4 online people should work...it better. If NHL Rivals can have 6, tennis should be able to have 4. But the Rivals thing is cool. Said the mode will be very arcadey, with a very low goalie skill level to make it a high scoring event. Should be fun to try.

No Streaming Account
  16. The Original MP

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i hope top spin is as easy to pick up as virtua tennis was... ya know, easy to learn but hard to master :)

No Streaming Account
  17. Babolat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I heard it was a pick up and play game. But there are more advanced options that are used for power shots. Each face button does a different shot, but if you hold the trigger down, you get this power gauge that if you line up properly, you will make a very aggresive (possibly winning) shot. If you don't line it up, you will miss long or in the net. Think of the gauge sorta like the kick off gauge in football game.

No Streaming Account
  18. The Original MP

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this should be fun...im not any kind of tennis guru and will probably lose a lot but atleast it should be fun :)

No Streaming Account