What, In Your Opinion, Is the Most Demanding Sport

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by jackBURTON, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Raptor710

Raptor710 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

yeah but in basketball you arent putting up with nearly the same physical punishment as in hockey, football, or boxing. yeah running up and donw the court is tiring and ocasionally you get bumped or something like that but compared to other sports it isnt that physicall.

Ok how about these... Slamball or Lacrosse.

Lacrosse is basically hockey on grass, and slamball takes basketball and adds body checks and trampolines.

No Streaming Account
  2. jackBURTON

jackBURTON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To those fans of Baseball, please provide evidence of how this sport is more physically demanding than Tennis, or Track & Field, or Rugby, or Cycling or Boxing, etc.

It's not. You simply can't provide the evidence here, don't even try.

It's a popular sport, but you'll look stupid if you even try to step to this challenge.

No Streaming Account
  3. woobwoob

woobwoob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ease it up a bit....

THANKTH!

No Streaming Account
  4. jackBURTON

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would say that Basketball is more physically demanding than Hockey. Stopping and starting on a hard court is EXTREMELY physically demanding.

Now, I'll have to defer to those that have actually played hockey to hear of the physical demands.

I'm not listening when it comes to baseball, i've played it. There's a reason an overweight guy like Mo Vaughn can be a star in MLB.

No Streaming Account
  5. jackBURTON

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    slamball and lacrosse, now you're widening the spectrum! While we're at it - we should include Rubgy as it's truly a no holds barred (no pads) event. I have no experience with it, so I'll defer to someone who has.

No Streaming Account
  6. Golden Gophers

Golden Gophers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hockey is demanding on the joints there is a lot of twisting on the knees and hips when doing crossovers or what not. I am starting to have knee problems and I am 18 years young. There are rutts in the ice that your blade can catch and twist a knee. Same with in football. And I havent seen someone just gently glide over the ice you are still putting you foot down somewhat hard on the ice, if that is what you are referring to for joint problems in other sports.

No Streaming Account
  7. jackBURTON

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice post Gophers, I can relate. But what makes Hockey mentally demanding - over a sport like tennis, that takes IMMENSE timing (and that's still more physically demanding), or a sport like boxing, that takes EXTREME willpower to overcome physical fatigue (and that's still likely more physicall demanding)?

No Streaming Account
  8. IndigoVDub

IndigoVDub Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hockey. You have to learn a whole new mode of transportation. Also it is the fastest of all four major games and you have to think quick. Plus the thought of getting your head taken off if you get sloppy kinda keeps you in check. And to answer jackburton's post, hockey is very demanding. You go out on the ice and skate your ass off for 1 minute then rest for a couple and do it again. Yes basketball requires the same stamina but they also dont have to worry about getting clocked at the redline while traveling 20-30mph. And honestly it gives you a hell of a headache and makes you pretty sore the next day.
    I would rate baseball last on the physical ability part. They have great eye hand coordination but they just dont have the physical stamina/strength that other pro athletes have.

No Streaming Account
  9. Golden Gophers

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Look up in my other post. The one timer takes timing, and when talking about the goalie position it takes immense timing to stop a puck going around 100 MPH. Have you ever seen how quick Joe Sakic's release is, to also react to that. The reaction time that you need in hockey is at a pretty high level, you delay for one second and dont make an instant mental decision on whether or not to go for the puck on D and you are blown by the Winger skating by you. So there is a lot of split second thinking that is required.

No Streaming Account
  10. jackBURTON

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Picture This:

You're in the Australian Open, in the fourth hour of your match in 120 degree heat on hard courts, and you're trying to summon the physical/mental energy to win the match in the fifth set w/no tiebreaker.

You're in a prize title boxing match in the 12th/15th round. You're beaten to a pulp; your arms won't move, and you've go to summon the physical/mental energy to make combinations to win the match.

How do sports that feature situational athletes (and supporting teammates) like Football, Basketball, Rugby, Slamball, Baseball, Hockey, etc. compare to this?

In my opinion they don't, but let me know what you think!

No Streaming Account
  11. Golden Gophers

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wouldnt say that they would, cept maybe Hockey with tennis, yes you are in cold and not heat, but if your talking about a lengthy game there have been plenty of those in hockey like the Anaheim Detroit game last playoffs. Try mustering up more energy to skate another couple times up and down the ice each shift, while stopping and starting and accelerating to the puck, that gets pretty hard to, and I guess that you are pretty banged up by then too, but not to a pulp, so I think hockey comes pretty close, but it is definitely more demanding then Basketball, football, and baseball.

No Streaming Account
  12. jackBURTON

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think the reason that Tennis and Boxing are more physically demanding is that there is NO TIME OFF. Yes, Hockey needs a supreme response time, but once the puck is out of your zone you rest, once the basketball is passed to your teammates you rest, if the football play is going to your teammates, you rest.

Tennis and Boxing are supremely physical and require the will and talent of ONE individual.

In my estimation they represent the extreme in sports performance.

Let me know what you think.

No Streaming Account
  13. TMG620

TMG620 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    I'm sure I'll catch some heat on this, but until you've actually done it, even a little bit you'll have a better understanding of how physically & mentally demanding motorsports can be. Gas, Brake, Shift, Dodge, Draft, Pass get passed. Keep the guy behind you, watch your lines (Every Lap) and do it all in 2 -3 hours in Flame resistant suits & a Helmet at temps up to 100 deg. and more with an occasional 14 - 20 second brake every 30 minutes (maybe).

Oh and btw it's not only on the weekend. These guys do practice laps & testing 3-5 days a week before the weekend events.

No Streaming Account
  14. jackBURTON

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I had to pick the winner I'd still say tennis as you will seldom see prize fighters fighting more than once/year whereas tennis players will go to war every other week - hence the early retirement age.

No Streaming Account
  15. Golden Gophers

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    IN response to jackBURTON, I understand that they get rest, and it is cuz of that one reason it is an individual sport, I am not disagreeing that those arent tough I am just supporting hockey over all other sports, cuz you were putting it down below Basketball, BASKETBALL.

No Streaming Account
  16. jackBURTON

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    TMG - You wouldn't catch heat on this, it's a great reply, I agree motorsports is extremely draining. The G-Forces will pound you over a three hour race. I've done it on a short term basis and it really does beat you up, however seeing sixty somethings like Mario Andretti remain competitive leads me to believe that it's still not on the physical level of the other sports we've discussed. What do you think?

No Streaming Account
  17. jackBURTON

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gophers - I would put basketball/hockey on the same level (I'm still convinced that hardcourts take more of a toll on joints though). Alot of stopping/starting, physical play, physical endurance needed, but both sports take advantage of lines/substitutes.

No Streaming Account
  18. Golden Gophers

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am sorry but if that is your thinking your forgetting the key diffence if you body check someone you get a foul in basketball, and in hockey you dont.

No Streaming Account
  19. TMG620

TMG620 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    I must agree!
    Although Mario did quit racing competitively in his early 50's the sport does allow it's particapants a little longer " Ride ".

By Competitive I mean the drudgery of a full season.

No Streaming Account
  20. jackBURTON

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :) - Nice Gophers - I think the Body Check vs. Hard Court thing makes them equal. How often is someone bodychecked in a hockey game? Yet, no matter who you are on the bball court, you're stopping and starting on a hard court the entire time you're on the court.

The career length for both sports seems to be relatively equal (w/the exception of Gordie Howe :) ). So it seems that both sports take a similar toll on its athletes.

No Streaming Account