What is your Top 10 Games of all time?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Tris10, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    Inspiried by ign's top 100 readers choice, I decided to list my top 10 fav games of all time.

1 N64 - Super Mario 64
    Best and most revolutional game of all time. The first time i ever saw this game was when my friend and i
    went to "Ontario place" that was sponsored by Nintendo and had about 15 japanese N64 units there. See'ing
    the joystick for the first time, and how you had to catch browser and swing him around with the stick was amazing, Or the first water
    level brings back memories where the depth and you had to swim down to the bottom to this sunken ship just blew my mind.
    A local game store had a jap. 64 that we would rent out every now and then, We actually finished this game before it hit North American shelves

2 NES - The Legend of Zelda
    This game really changed the way all video games could be made, Being the first with a save battery and a long story line twice through.
    The first time i ever saw and played this game was when i was pretty young and at my cousins place, I never forgot how in wonder i was of this game.

3 SNES - Final Fantasy III
    My fav RPG, Fav game sound track,Fav game plot and fav game of the final fantasy series. Just one of those all time classic games
    that everyone should be forced to play in junior school!

4 Xbox - MotoGP
    This game has the credit for being the game that has most effected my life. First xbox beta game, and the game that (to me) started
    online community's , including LG

5 PS1 - Final Fantasy 7
    This game has my record for the most anticipated game of all time for me. Never have i played a game straight as i have this one. Story and characters where awesome, i still get choked up when i hear Aeries's theme!

6 Xbox360 - NHL 2K (2k series)
    Never had as much value from any video game or video game series as i have with the 2k series. I've probably only played about 20 games total offline from 2k3,2k4,2k5,2k6, xbox360 2k6 and 2k7 but probably played thousands online in LG's leagues in LG leagues.

7 Xbox - Halo
    Fav FPS, although what really attracted me to this game was playing 6x6 with your closest buds in a network battle! Never had so much fun in a video game as i did playing those team battle's

8 N64 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Another N64 classic. Awesome gameplay and fun at every level

9 SNES - Super Mario World
    Another all time classic. A local store had an imported famcom and i remember found memories of rushing after school to play this game.

10 NES - Super Mario Bros. 3
    Found memories of this game, maybe it was the hype from the "wizard" movie, but a great game still.

Honorable mention to:
    SNES - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    N64 - GoldenEye 007
    NES - Super Mario Bros. 3
    SNES - Super Metriod
    NES - MegaMan 3
    PS2 - Gran Turismo 3
    PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

What are your top 10 games of all time?

2. RE1GN

RE1GN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I share a lot of favorites with you Tris. Especially Moto GP, those were the best times. I try to get back into the new ones, but it's not the same.

There are a few more games that I really remember spending tons of time with.

First, one that I can't believe you missed was Tecmo Bowl. This was probably the first great 2 player football game in the video game world.

Then I was really into arcade games when I was younger. So Mortal Kombat(I played all of them, but really enjoyed the second one the best) was where I wasted a ton of my child hood and wasted a ton of quarters. I could kick some ass with Sub Zero and Scorpion(I can still here Scorpian's get over here).

Also, on the arcade side was NBA Jam. I spent countless hours on this one also. I loved playing with a few teams that weren't that good in real life, but had some incredible skills in the game, like Golden State. I still remember how to get Turmel in the game(that funny lookin' bastard)

There are a ton more, but games like Killer Instinct, Blitz, Crusin' USA, and I could go on and on; I don't want to show how much of a nerd I am and was though.

No Streaming Account
  3. RE1GN

RE1GN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's almost a shame at how good our home video game systems are these days. Some of my best memories are going to the arcade in the mall with some friends and playing on my first quarter on Mortal Kombat or Killer Instinct for an hour or so. Kids today are missing out.

No Streaming Account
  4. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    Ya i forgot about the MK series

Always remember going to the local arcade to see MK2. There was always a crowd around that game, you had to get their early just to SEE the people playing it

5. RE1GN

RE1GN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They just keep poping in my head.

Double Dragon
    Contra(up,up,down,down,left,right,left,right,b,a start)
    F-Zero

I guess I strayed off the top ten list, but it's fun just to think of the games that you can remember playing like it was yesterday.

No Streaming Account
  6. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    Ya i started thinking of some old games

does anyone remember the nes game "manaic mansion", i believe that was the title

Man... that game was cool, i think it has a sequal called day of the tentical or something like that, never got to play that game though

7. BLaz

BLaz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Top 10 games of All-Time eh....that is a toughie.

10) Earthworm Jim - if there was a single platformer to play on the Genesis aside from the Sonic games - it was Earthworm Jim. The PSP game coming out soon looks like total shit compared to the nostalgic Genesis days. I sucked at this game (and it wasnt a hard game), so I would replay the first 5 levels over and over and over again. I will eventually re-buy this game for my Genesis.

09) Duck Hunt - the world's most simple NES title. Still perhaps the best light gun game ever. Yeah I know, we got House of the Dead, Time Crisis, and a variety of other ones these days that are longer and are more intense. But nothing will beat the 3 hour brother fights to see who can kill more ducks.

08) Road Rage - goes for both the Genesis and PSone versions. Road Rage needed no skill - as you simply had to turn a few times each race, and only needed to learn like 4 buttons. But for some reason, the enjoyment of hitting people with a night stick of their bikes lead to years of enjoyment.

07) NHL 98 - the PSone version. Still to this date this best hockey game created. Nothing has topped it, and I dont think anything will. It had everything you could ask for in a hockey game back in the day. Competitive gameplay, good graphics, TV presentation (although back then when the Sabres debut their black and white jerseys they had the numbers red on the home jerseys). Multiplayer would go on for hours.

06) Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge - was the best multiplayer game to have on Xbox Live, IMO. Late nights of dogfighting and chicken run just didnt compete with anything else for me. Its single player was fun, but the online was kept me going for months. Too bad Halo 2 had to come along and take the crowd away.

05) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - GTA III may have put gaming into a new era, but it was Vice City that took off the GTA series to a whole new level for me. Now I was a GTA player from the beginning, but Vice City had it all. A kickass main character, a great supporting cast, free roaming capabilities, side missions, and much more. I didnt buy a single game for almost 7 months when this game released because I was so addicted.

04) Zero Tolerance - old school Genesis once again. This was the FPS that started it all for me. It was a typical alien story but the sound was what made you want to fear what was coming next. A good variety of enemies, guns, and levels just made this addicting. Still the best FPS to date for me.

03) Sonic 2 - the platformers of all platformers. Sonic will never be like it used to be unfortunately (especially after playing that shotty 360 demo of the new Sonic). This game was beatable within a couple of hours but you just went back for more and more. Thank you Dr. Robotnik.

02) Ghost Recon 2 - the Xbox version. Dont get me wrong, GRAW is a great game but this is the game that made GRAW to what it is. I was never a fan of the GR series until Ubi redid the entire game style. This was what I hoped SOCOM would be. This was my Halo 2 - its all I played online on my Xbox till the 360 hit. 6 hour Siege sessions were the best.

01) TBD - with new games these days, its hard to pinpoint your favorite one. For all I will know BiA: Hells Highway will be it, or maybe even a simple game like Mercury 2 on the PSP. Therefore I leave this space blank until the #1 game for me is revealed. When that will happen - the day before I die and I reflect upon my life. Thats about 14 days from now probably.

No Streaming Account
  8. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You pretty much stole my old thread Tris....you're a bad, bad man. :laugh:

No Streaming Account
  9. pop0331

pop0331 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that old hockey game with the fat and skinny dudes

blades of steel

Ghost Recon

GR2

Resident Evil

GTA - the original top down

street fighter II

Legend of Zelda

NFL2K1 for Dreamcast

Shenmue = AWESOME

I know thats 10 but my #1's goes to...

a tie for Goldenye & Super Smash Bros for 64
    I managed a video store when these were huge, we'd hook up the 64 right there and forget about customers sometimes playing these, then anywhere from 6-10 of us and friends would go back to my house and play the hell out of these 2 gems

still waiting on that PERFECT hockey game!!! :evil:

No Streaming Account
  10. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I agree. This was my favorite Final Fantasy as well (right behind is Final Fantasy II for SNES). Locke was my favorite character. I loved in this game how at one point the story split up and reconnected. Very awesome game and I to loved the soundtrack. Gau was a fun character as well :)

Gajeske85
  11. TommyNuGuns

TommyNuGuns Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmm this is tough topic and liable to change on any given day.

1. FF6 or 3 (SNES) - Super Nes was probably the glory days for console RPG's. Breath of Fire was my first one but FFIII was what got me addicted to them. Great story, great cast , still the greatest villain of all time with Sephiroth coming in a close second. I can still hum alot of the tunes in my head they were so catchy.

2. Diablo II:LOD (PC) - This is the only game that I can truly say that I played for years and never got bored with it. Hundreds of hours spent and yet my character was still weak compared to many others. Alot of fun was had just trying to find that certain armor or weapon you want.

3. Phantasy Star Online (Xbox) - Another addicting rpg for the same reasons as Diablo II. Voice chat is a great plus over DII but DII was a bit deeper.

4. Metal Gear Solid (PS) - Absolutely mind blowing game at the time. Best graphics I had seen, gripping story, amazing characters, and alot of great moments especially with the boss characters. The psycho mantis fight immediately comes to mind. Best playstation game released in my opinion.

5. Castlevania: SOTN (PS) - This game was an absolute blast and probably the last great 2D game. Humongous game with great visuals,haunting soundtrack, fun gameplay and after you finished this long engrossing game they turn the castle upside down and you get a whole new game to play through. Probably the greatest ending of all time.

6. Chrono Trigger (SNES) - Another great RPG here from Square. This was another game with a great cast of characters, beautiful visuals, superior battle system compared to anything released at the time. While this one was a little on the short side it had a ton of replay value with at least 11 different endings that I can remember.

7. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - My favorite zelda game of all time but they are all great. This was the first game I played on the Snes and the opening scene with the rain falling down as you made your way to the castle absolutely blowed me away. Great dungeon design that hasn't been matched since in the newer Zelda's.

8. Resident Evil 2 (PS) - The first one I thought was great and then this one came and just blew it out of the water. One of the few games that I have played through multiple times. Still my favorite out of this great series with RE4 and RE: Code Veronica close behind.

9. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) - Definetly my all time favorite nes game. Tecmo bowl was amazing as well. This game had it all great gameplay, tons of levels and varied locations, many powerups, and great level design.

10. Final Fantasy VII (PS) - I agree with Tris as this was my most anticipated game ever and it didn't disappoint. I loved most of the characters, graphics were amazing especially with the CG scenes, great soundtrack and home to one of the most bad assed villains ever in Sephiroth.

No Streaming Account
  12. BxGngsta

BxGngsta Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Man, there are so many to choose from. I can't even begin to make a list up, need time to consider, but some of the ones mentioned are definitely classics. I'll have to think of some. How about a top 10 sports games list, that will be interesting.

No Streaming Account
  13. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My favorites would lean towards PC games as that was when i was heavily into gaming.

1. Ultima Online (PC) - I cant even begin to imagine how many hours i spent plaything this game. Greatest multiplayer game ever until they neutered it.

Others in no particular order:

Quake (PC)
    CounterStrike (PC) - The PC version was so much better then the console version.
    World of Warcraft (PC)
    Dark Age of Camelot (PC)
    Planetside (PC)

NBA Jam (arcade) - He's on fire!
    720 (arcade)

Sierra's Front Page Sports football (PC) - This game was great for its time. I loved all those old sierra games to, Kings Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc, etc.

NHL Hockey (Sega genesis) - or whatever the hockey game was called. Im not a hockey fan but this game ruled and the fights were fun. I remember knocking out my roomates entire starting lineup with Bob Probert.

Im sure im forgetting a few but sadly no xbox games make my list.

No Streaming Account
  14. jcon77

jcon77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Top Ten

10. Halo 2 Xbox:
    Improved upon the gameplay elements of the original. While I thought this game was way too short(I remember going "cool, now where is the rest of it") and at times too easy, this was the reason I first got into Xbox Live in a big way.

9. Command and Conquer PC:
    I used to be really into RTS games before I picked up the Xbox and started becoming more of a FPS/Sports kinda guy. Kane was absolutely awesome as a character and the gameplay was amazing. Almost have to throw Starcraft in here as a tie as it was a great title too.

8. Doom PC:
    The originator. Nuff said.

7. Super Mario Bros. 3 NES:
    All of us remember being young(and some not so young) and playing the crap out of this game. It was the most anticipated title of it's time. It helps when you have mainstream media and movies talking a game title up. Simple amazing.

6. Goldeneye 007 N64:
    Took the FPS to new heights. Great graphics and many a night lost with three of my buddies playing 4 player death matches well into the night.

5. Halo Xbox:
    You can set different benchmarks where a genre reaches new heights. Halo did for the last generation what Goldeneye and Doom had done before it.

4. GTA 3 PS2:
    Redefined fun for me. I had never had so much pure fun without accomplishing anything in a game. It was astounding what Rockstar did. The other GTA games have built upon these principles, but the original is still the best for me.

3. Sid Meier's Civilization 2 PC:
    Hours and hours went by to build my civ to be the dominant nation on earth. This is a thinking man's game, but I liked it so much that I still occasionally pick it up and play it, many years after it came out.

2. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time N64:
    An instant classic in anyone's book. I went to my local store at midnight to pick up my "Gold" edition of the game. The graphics and gameplay were ahead of it's time but arrived just in the nick of time. I still regret not playing it through more than twice.

1. Final Fantasy VII PS2:
    Like many others, this is the most anticipated game for me personally. I played it through twice and it inspired me to pick up the Advent Children dvd. If a sequel does come, no matter which system, I will be there to buy it. The best storytelling around, IMO, of any game before or since.

No Streaming Account
  15. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    1. Secret of Mana (SNES): Awesome game. I loved the story and the characters. I would even say the best story in any video game I have ever played. Everyone who likes video games should play through this at least once.

2. Final Fantasy III (SNES): Another great game. Awesome characters and a cool story. Kefka was one of the coolest villains ever. Locke was an awesome character, I also liked Shadow "He'd slit his mammas throat for a nickel", lol

3. Final Fantasy II (SNES): Again, I love the story/characters. Cecil was the coolest knight ever. I also believe that this was the first FF to introduce the Dragoon class.

4. Madden 2001 (PS2): This was the first Madden game I ever owned. I remember when we first got our PS2 and the only games we had were Summoner, Star Wars: Starfighter, and Madden 2001. I played through 15 seasons (without simming) with the Bears. Absolutely loved this game.

5. Command & Conquer series (PC): Me and my Dad always played these games. He actually still plays Renegade on his PC at home. As soon as I own a computer than can easily run games I am going to buy the complete Theatre of War box set so I have all these games again.

6. Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES): Wow, what a game. I loved the whole alternate universe thing. Very fun game.

7. Madden 2006 (Xbox): This was an awesome game. It really came together and had awesome features. I really wish the 360 version of 2007 was made more like this game.

8. Star Wars: KOTOR I and II (Xbox): Best Star Wars games ever. I am praying they make a III for the Xbox 360. I would pre-order that so fast.

9. Splinter Cell (Xbox): I never beat any of these games but I did have fun playing them.

10. MotoGP (Xbox): This is the game that turned me onto online console gaming. My Dad was a beta tester for Live and we have Fever 2001 and MotoGP. Funnest times I had getting to beta.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
    Gajeske85
  16. nosice

nosice Only Texans Fan @ LG

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im not a big gamer outside sports and im really a modern era guy... I tried to go back and buy some systems to play the old games but what i found out is now days they do such a great job. but anyways I would have to say that my alltime favorites would be like this...

1.NFL2k1 - (Dreamcast) First Game i played online and it opened a big gaming world to me.. I spent Days on top of Weeks on top of months on in playing this game.. And it was the first game that i saw websites increasing the replay value.. I never played a full season game. It is also the first game where i heard about "sim play"... Loved it even if it had its faults clearly my favorite for what it started..

2. Unreal Tournament (Dreamcast) - Got sick playing this game.. Was not use to staring at a TV that long..

3. Day of Defeat (PC) - a mod from Halflife. THis is the game i played between the PS2 and the xbox era of my life. Everyday i got online and played CTF nonstop. im a big WW2 fan so it never gets old for me.

4. GTA III and Vice City - First fun games I played on the PS2 and enjoyed it alot. The cars and the free roaming just couldnt beat that.. GTA San Andreas IMO was way over the top.

OLD School.. Tecmo Bowl (nes) Bases Loaded (nes) Madden 1996 (snes) Medal Gear Solid (PS). im sure im missing something..

No Streaming Account
  17. MR PAPPAGI0RGIO

MR PAPPAGI0RGIO Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #3 ....okay F' it, I'm stuck working graveyard and I'm tired of trying to list a top ten, so there, you get top 2 :razz:

#2 Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - What can I say, Zelda is an awesome series and this is the cream of the cake. For the first time it was in 3D, and not top down, the graphics were phenominal for its time. The world was larger then I could have possibly imagined and it was all done very well.

#1 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - I've always dug the whole star wars universe, and never really was into RPG's before this game, but I gave it a shot and it became probably the most fun I've had playing a game ever. The whole good vs evil and being able to make different choices that affect the outcome of the game was just amazing to me. The writing Bioware did was also amazing, the story was just so fucking cool, and the major plot twist just blew me away and made the game even more enjoyable.

No Streaming Account
  18. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Ah, I forgot to mention KOTOR I and II. Awesome games. I also wanted to mention NCAA Football 06 for Xbox. Most fun I have ever had with a sports game. I loved being able to use the rosters online :)

Gajeske85
  19. WilloMan

WilloMan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It goes to show that the new age FF7 kids don't know about the great story FF3(SNES) had. Compared to todays FF's story lines only FF 10 has come close to FF3 for me. Heres hoping that FF12 has a good story.

1. FF 3 (SNES) - Everything from sound to story.

2. FF Tactics (PS1) - Good story also.

3. Chrono Trigger (SNES) - Toughest RPG ever made.

4. MDK (PS1) - Very weird but very good gameplay.

5. WWF Wrestle Fest & Saturday Night Slam Masters (Arcade) - Great arcade wrestling games. Hours upon hours of non stop wrestling.

6. Metal Gear Solid 1 & 3 - Greatness

7. Xenogears - If you like RPG's you must play this...or my 2 copies i have left :D

8. GTA Vice City - Greatest game soundtrack ever.

9. Goldeneye (N64) - Still hasn't been topped IMO.

10. Super Mario RPG (SNES) - Great

Other Favorites:

Bust a Groove 1 & 2 (PS1)
    Parappa the Rapper (PS1)
    Buster Brothers (Arcade, PS1)...hopefully Xbox LIVE someday
    Super Mario 3
    Wrestlemania 2000 (N64)

No Streaming Account
  20. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    Although i would say SOM was a great game, you liked it better then FF3 & 7?