Custom Goalie Stance Theory

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by jonlol, Sep 15, 2016.

1. cup4blues

cup4blues cup4blues#5216

Discord:
    cup4blues#5216
    Ratings:
    +101 / 10 / -6
    Oh no I committed the crime of tracking the puck instead of standing still when the shot was taken so clearly I shouldn't be rewarded with making the save. This can't be working as intended.

• Winner Winner x 1
    cup4bluesNHL
  2. NickyLeaks

NickyLeaks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 24 / -55
    See this everyone? This is how a real man plays goalie. The lost art of white ice.

I can't find a single fault in your positioning. He literally had nowhere to shoot and the game rewarded your aggressive positioning with a weak goal. @Perrilyzer1 do you have anything to say about this current example? I don't know how much more he can cut off the angle without being directly in front of the shooter. I'm glad you posted this example cup4blues because this is yet again EA shitting on realistic goaltending in favor of stationary deep-crease sitters who think they are gods.

Seriously. How the hell can a point shot, with no screen, find it's way in when the goalie is in the white ice.

@jonlol Goalie was ready.

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    No Streaming Account
  3. Perrilyzer1

Perrilyzer1 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Perrilyzer1#2915
    Ratings:
    +600 / 16 / -19

Are you kidding? He moved right as the shot was taken. He should have been set before the shot was made. Just watch the replay, his guy jumps to the right as the shot is made and the only way he can save it is by his glove. We aren't in control of all limbs, u have to be square to the shot to have the best chance of saving it. He could have also just inched his way with the joystick and there wouldnt have been as large of a jump.

As I've said before, its a simulation of hockey, it isnt real. You can't expect everything to work the way you "think" it should. Im sorry that white ice, and forgiving goalie movement isnt a part of the game. Reality is that we play the product that is given to us and we unfortunately arent playing "real" hockey. We are competing in NHL 17, not "Perfect Real Hockey Simulator 17". Therefore you have to play the game to the best you can within what works in NHL 17.

The only reason I even came back to this thread is because I was tagged. Seriously, I've been fine with the game and I'm actually content with it as it's much better than last year - even for goalies. If you don't like it, thats your opinion. I've played through years of the game that have disagreed with my playstyle, and I've still been competitive every year. Thats because I dont refuse to adapt to the new game.

Relax and play the game. Or don't. No one really cares anymore

• Like Like x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
    No Streaming Account
  4. NickyLeaks

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 24 / -55
    Other than the fact that being constantly square to the shot, without constantly adjusting, when the puck is moving is physically impossible by definition... Telling someone critical of a game to relax seems weird considering most of us have played this game for years and years. To further my point, I would like to ask you how to stay square with a laterally-moving forward without moving during possible shots. Do you see the flaw? You stated he should inch his way rather than cover larger gaps of ice, but that also creates the inability to truly stay square to the shot.

Again, enjoying goalie this year more than last year doesn't make the argument that it's on par with the other positions for playability. If the conversation itself bugs you I wont tag you, I thought you enjoyed the conversation. However You seemed to advocate that goaltending is correct in it's current iteration so I wanted your opinion on an NHL 17's take on goalies who subscribe to angle theory. Won't happen again.

No Streaming Account
  5. cup4blues

cup4blues cup4blues#5216

Discord:
    cup4blues#5216
    Ratings:
    +101 / 10 / -6

• Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    cup4bluesNHL
  6. CTastik91

CTastik91 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Morgz x 4#4444
    Ratings:
    +518 / 7 / -39
    THAT. That is why I break things trying to play goalie. lol.

No Streaming Account
  7. NickyLeaks

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 24 / -55
    Obviously you shouldn't have been breathing when the shot was made. If your breathing is zen when the shot is taken the save will be made. No matter how many examples you give as to what's wrong, it will always be your fault.

• Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  8. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    @cup4blues

I have legit thrown my controller after giving up ~6 goals because of your last video. It shouldn't happen, the developers know it shouldn't happen. It's too bad that there's such a serious flaw in the game right now.

@NKG 4K

In the previous video where he gets sniped when he's high up...

Yes, he's punished for moving when the shot comes. He was square to the shot until he moved at the last second and since he was hitting right the goalie animation takes you right.

It's a toss up... would you rather be able to have that animation happen so that you can save cross creases or would you rather it not happen so you're stuck in mud while standing up. I'm not saying that's the ultimate choice we have, but that's the way I look at it. We're still playing video game hockey... we don't have to react with our limbs to make a save... therefore we have to be held accountable for SOMETHING.

At the same time there's not much else he can do with the slight delay in EASHL. If the skater shoots far side and he's not moving right, it will go in. At this point most people are shooting back short side because they know goalies will move out of the way, it should be an easy read tbh.

Perri is also right. If you're playing LG i'm assuming you're playing to be competitive. This isn't a site dedicated to simulating real hockey, it's to see who is the best at what we're given. If you haven't adapted to playing EA Goalie (I'm not saying I agree with it or it's right) then you are either too stubborn to ever be good or you're just trying to play your own style casually and know you'll get lit up and are OK with it.

I honestly don't think cup4blues should have been sniped there if this game mimicked real life, but I understand why he was and I think he does too judging by his post. It's something I'll show the developers and explain the legitimate gripe he has.

eashlgoalie
  9. NickyLeaks

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 24 / -55
    Honestly it's starting to sound like shilling for EA at this point. There is no other explanation for addressing certain major flaws while at the same time arguing that they must be overcome rather than fixed. I keep reading that this is video-game hockey - but who in their right mind would want a videogame to punish finite lateral movement with cheesy goals? At what point is it ok to say "We value stillness more than movement" for a position in which constantly movement and readjustment is essential?

Just think about this for a second. EA is rewarding stillness rather than fluid positioning. Goalies will save a shot when hilariously out of position so long as they remain still, but will let in a goal they are in nearly prestine position for if they move. Sad!

No Streaming Account
  10. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    I never said I agree with it (in fact I said this already). I'm just giving you an explanation for why its happening and trying to explain what perri is getting at.

eashlgoalie
  11. cup4blues

cup4blues cup4blues#5216

Discord:
    cup4blues#5216
    Ratings:
    +101 / 10 / -6
    If the right stick wasn't so horribly slow we'd be using that to make the cross crease saves. The left stick should not be doing the job of the right stick like it is now. The left stick is for positioning the goalie yet their broken save mechanics are throwing you out of position if you try to play with proper positioning.

cup4bluesNHL
  12. JmOnEy2436

JmOnEy2436 Goalie Consultant

Ratings:
    +929 / 9 / -14
    For EA:

Half push = no slide effect during shot animation
    Full push = slide effect since we're not using half pushes for crosses

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
    TheCreasePolice
  13. Vellerz

Vellerz 2 Time Calder Cup Champ - 1 Time Playoff MVP

Discord:
    Vellerz#3871
    Ratings:
    +409 / 6 / -9
    I have no problems with Goalie this year. I didn't play last year due to how horrible it was. I think they made significant advancements, and while there's still all sorts of BS (see evidence throughout this thread)....I've kinda come to expect a certain level of that.

As someone who likes to challenge the shooter, play with a certain 'realism', and use all the buttons; I feel like this year we have more useful tools at our disposal.
    Right stick finally has some effect for desperation saves...just don't dare touch it if you are using your left stick at the same time. RS needs to be used on it's own, all alone.

To me, goalie now feels like it has some semblance of fluidity that it's never had.

No Streaming Account
  14. Perrilyzer1

Discord:
    Perrilyzer1#2915
    Ratings:
    +600 / 16 / -19
    Congrats you two have found one video that is actually a shitty situation. This kind of animation jump has been happening for years - its not a new NHL 17 issue.

I just think its a waste of time to sit in a forum and post shitloads of videos just so you can come and get verification from other goalies who are spending more time complaining than playing the game.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  15. l Magic l 12 l

l Magic l 12 l Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 110 / -119
    No Streaming Account
  16. NickyLeaks

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 24 / -55
    Here we go again with your moral entrepreneur attitude on this thread. There are probably some who agree with you that it is a waste of time to be critical of goaltending issues. There are also, obviously judging by the amount of posts and views in this thread, people who do have an interest in the topic. Nobody here is trying to tell you to care about these issues - so maybe it would be best if you didn't try to tell others what their time would be better spent on. I could make the argument that your time defending EA could be better spent doing other things but I wont.

And isn't it telling that goalies are coming to this thread with this many gripes.

No Streaming Account
  17. cup4blues

cup4blues cup4blues#5216

Discord:
    cup4blues#5216
    Ratings:
    +101 / 10 / -6
    cup4bluesNHL
  18. JmOnEy2436

JmOnEy2436 Goalie Consultant

Ratings:
    +929 / 9 / -14
    It seems your moving when you're centered with the puck so that you stay centered. Wait until he's lined up with your left shoulder before moving with a half push. That extra fraction of a second will help keep your angles covered whether he shoots near or far side ;)
    @cup4blues

TheCreasePolice
  19. cup4blues

cup4blues cup4blues#5216

Discord:
    cup4blues#5216
    Ratings:
    +101 / 10 / -6

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    cup4bluesNHL
  20. Perrilyzer1

Discord:
    Perrilyzer1#2915
    Ratings:
    +600 / 16 / -19
    lmao dude its all the same goalies posting over and over. I didn't tell you to do anything, I said I THINK its a waste of time. JMoney just posted a reply to yet more videos posted by cup4blues giving the same suggestion that I have. Is that not just as telling?

No Streaming Account