Custom Goalie Stance Theory

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by jonlol, Sep 15, 2016.

1. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95

So your first line confirms you have experienced the BAP thing. So there we go, that answers the question about the different goalie classes.

I will call people bad if I want to, it's fine. Sometimes that IS the answer. As you stated, you were bad, now you got used to the mechanics (were still clearly bad and retired to defense) and had a better experience.

I never argued with anyone that posted a video of pucks going through their goalie model. I have garbage like that happen and also pucks go shortside while I'm hugging the post. I tell the developers that.

But when people complain that the position is way worse just because they're trying to play like NHL 16 warrants me calling them scrubs.

eashlgoalie
  2. Breaky

Breaky Glue guy

Discord:
    Breaky#7169
    Ratings:
    +1,003 / 81 / -128
    EA needs game changers that have played real hockey, not video game hockey.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Get Good Get Good x 2
    No Streaming Account
  3. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    I play real hockey, thank you for the support!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    eashlgoalie
  4. Perrilyzer1

Perrilyzer1 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Perrilyzer1#2915
    Ratings:
    +600 / 16 / -19
    it doesnt matter, you were in the middle of your net. you didnt deserve to make that save anyways

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  5. NickyLeaks

NickyLeaks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 24 / -55
    Honestly I fully agree with you on positioning should be indicator of save chance, but can you really defend a faulty goalie hitbox?

Also, re:positioning. That means by definition all onetimers should have a high likelihood of going in as lateral movement is not free-flowing enough for saves in this respect. Basically what you want is for these guys to be in perfect shooting position in a game where movement is hindered to the point that being in perfect shooting position is to your detriment.

I agree with you saying these goals should go in anyways. I differ in regards to movement. I've always been an advocate of positioning, however what you are asking goalies to do is counterintuitive to their movement.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  6. Cross_X_Check

Cross_X_Check Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 123 / -201
    Forwards in NHL have the advantage by a wide margin. A defender cannot stick lift, the tie ups in front are almost useless, passes still get forced through 2-3 players at a time. So if a guy forces a pass from the left side for a one timer if it goes through people when it shouldn't then the goalie is screwed because lateral movement is hindered. A defensemen would have to be literally perfect to avoid a goal. I can understand the game being realistic but some things need to be fixed to help goalies out. I scored a goal today with a grand mom wrister and it went through the goalies glove hand and chest when it should have been a save.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    cross_x_check
  7. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    This is something I have been trying to tell the devs.

Why is goalie trying to mimic real life when the forwards aren't close to being realistic and defense isn't even close?

Give goalies the speed to bail out defense and match the speed of the opposing forwards. It keeps the game "fun" for forwards, but makes it bareable for goalies.

eashlgoalie
  8. NickyLeaks

NickyLeaks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 24 / -55
    We will see though.

I predict the mean save percentage for nhl goalies to be well under 74%, possibly even under 70%

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account
  9. Cross_X_Check

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 123 / -201
    Exactly. If your gonna make a game then at least don't put certain positions at a disadvantage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    cross_x_check
  10. Neat

Neat eat my shorts

Ratings:
    +146 / 14 / -12
    A lot of crying is being done in this thread

• Winner Winner x 1
    Wayne019
  11. Bane Dont Care

Bane Dont Care Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +321 / 14 / -16

Attached Files:

No Streaming Account
  12. xX Z3NO Xx

xX Z3NO Xx Former 14+ Season Xbox CHL Commissioner

Discord:
    Zeno#9083
    Ratings:
    +2,571 / 54 / -97
    Putting other positions aside. Maybe we should redefine what the goalie classes are? Stand up goalies are almost extinct, hybrids are extremely common and other than Quick the last real butterfly goalie to play the game was Hasek. Maybe we need to move to classes that define the sort of saves that are made (like FIFA). Goalie classes can be defined as acrobatic (like Quick) or technical (Schneider, Price, etc.). I think that gives a better understanding of how the mechanics will react to the way you are going to make the save.

Also, IRL not all goalies are the same in terms of speed so why are we trying to present a cookie-cutter goalie to the masses? Let them define what kind of goalie they are. Forwards have what? 9 classes now? Why can't we have a few little tweaks done to our classes to make it so we actually stand a chance against some of the forwards in this league.

xX_Z3NO_Xx
  13. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    I agree with everything here. So I'm just giving you my guess as to why things are the way they are currently:

Skater's can't pick their own attributes so goalies aren't any different there. Also, the actual attributes for goalies aren't as important as the tuners are, so that's why they're all the same.

In the future it would be nice to have some differentiation between classes starting with size and speed. We'll see what we can do for 18.

• Like Like x 1
    eashlgoalie
  14. Maverxck

Maverxck Twitch.tv/mav_live

Ratings:
    +117 / 14 / -21
    @Binger turn your fucking brain on

• Funny Funny x 1
    Mav_Live
  15. Cross_X_Check

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 123 / -201
    Lol. It'll be the same shit next year. They won't wanna do certain things. Speaking of bad bounces. Last night Winston took a puck to the face and it went in his net lmfao.

@Winston Payne

• Like Like x 1
    cross_x_check
  16. Odieeeeee

Odieeeeee mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Discord:
    Odie#7453
    Ratings:
    +2,088 / 38 / -69
    Goalies aren't real people

• Informative Informative x 1
    OdieNHL
  17. ByMercyAndGrace

ByMercyAndGrace Warrior Poet

Ratings:
    +881 / 20 / -58
    So far it really does seem like they took some strides forward compared to NHL 16 for goalies. I know I personally didn't play as well through all of 16 as I have in the few games I've played in 17. Yes, there are some SERIOUS issues for goalies that really leave us out to dry (looking at you tipped slapshots). But overall goalie play has taken several large strides forward, and a small one back. We're in a much better place than we were for the last year. I'm actually looking forward to playing LG games at G for the first time in a long, long time.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    Bymercyandgrace
  18. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    Glad you're enjoying it so far. Just to address your point about tips – if you play too deep in your net when the puck is at the point, it's way easier to have something deflected past you.

eashlgoalie
  19. ByMercyAndGrace

ByMercyAndGrace Warrior Poet

Ratings:
    +881 / 20 / -58
    Yep. And I can be found guilty of playing too deep, but the style of goaltending needed to succeed in NHL 17 is pretty quickly breaking me of that.

Bymercyandgrace
  20. cup4blues

cup4blues cup4blues#5216

Discord:
    cup4blues#5216
    Ratings:
    +101 / 10 / -6
    I don't know if they changed something server-side but I noticed my auto cover is back to acting like hungry hungry hippos like 16 was.

• Winner Winner x 1
    cup4bluesNHL