Custom Goalie Stance Theory

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by jonlol, Sep 15, 2016.

1. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    Alright since you xbox homos never leave your own league forum, I'm posting this here for you guys to discuss.

Video:

I've heard a lot of weird complaints from goalies that describe feeling different after the beta. Besides the fact that skaters feel slower too (possibly because of the servers being busy?) the other variable to change for goalies is custom stances working now.

Custom stances do not affect gameplay. They don't affect animations. This is confirmed by EA. You shouldn't notice a difference in results between different stances.

However, I truly think they are going to affect the way we play and how we feel. We have been stuck with the same stance for all of last gen and then stuck with the same stance for all of 16. Not only does it look different, it kind of throws off our perception.

Goalies should be watching the puck carrier, the open man, and watching for what play is developing, but sometimes we have to check our positioning to make sure we're OK. This is where we'll get thrown off.

A lower stance – hunched over and feet wider. Your goalie is going to feel slower moving laterally. I compare it to watching a 6'10 guy run at the same speed as a 5'0 guy – the shorter dude looks like he's running faster because his legs are moving faster. Your feet are wider and even though your speed isn't changing you look slower.

Also, you look like you're covering more of the net when you're actually not. Goalies with stances where the glove is set further away from their body will throw you off because they aren't going to reach as far to hit that goalie "hitbox" or coverage limit since the glove is already at the edge. That's why with Quick's stance i see a lot of goalies tipping shit with the edge of their glove.

A taller/narrower stance – torso upright – you will feel faster. I guarantee it. You also look like you're covering less with your limbs (if the glove is tucked in) and you'll be more likely to move into the shot.

An experiment – if you're using a low stance try a taller one – I suggest custom stance 24 or the default #1 (this is NHL16).

Let me know if you feel any difference. It won't make you a better goalie, but honestly I bet it will feel slightly different.

If you're not having any issues, then obviously don't change. It's just a fun little experiment to get everyone's opinion.

@ me if you have other concerns, I don't venture onto these forums because xbox is full of people like Nuge.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    eashlgoalie
  2. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,041 / 113 / -854
    • Like Like x 1
    LeagueGamingOfficial
  3. Girgss

Girgss CHEL

Discord:
    girgs#4300
    Ratings:
    +2,245 / 57 / -103
    We've also been told no changes have been made since the beta but the skating is worse than it was in 16. Rim me. THE SERVERS CAN'T HANDLE IT.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    No Streaming Account
  4. ScaryJoeyy

ScaryJoeyy Well-Known Member

Discord:
    scaryjoeyy#0
    Ratings:
    +434 / 49 / -43
    you smell

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    ScaryJoeyy
  5. l Joe NHL l

l Joe NHL l Well-Known Member

Discord:
    yeeeeeeeeeeet#0
    Ratings:
    +260 / 4 / -6
    vrhljohnnyl
  6. HobO0nurporch

HobO0nurporch Well-Known Member

Discord:
    hobooo#0
    Ratings:
    +810 / 89 / -75
    • Like Like x 1
    miT_
  7. Cross_X_Check

Cross_X_Check Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 123 / -201
    Game still sucks regardless of stance. Bullshit goes in from any angle even when covering the angle. The other day I literally sat at the top of my crease and dude takes a wrister that was slower then a 90 year old walking across the street. Guess what? It went five hole even with being in butterfly, all because of some AIDS animation. Whether people at EA like to admit it or not they have destroyed goalie. Angles are attrocious, this right stick push is ~*~*, it's too slow, I mean the complaints go on and on. Why does a standup goalie have better reflexes then a butterfly? I can see the vision being more but reflexes and agility should go to butterfly. Standup goalies are virtually extinct anyway.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    cross_x_check
  8. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95

The only thing I'll address is the goalie classes...

It's a mistake. Those sliders are just visual lol. All the classes are the same.

eashlgoalie
  9. Cross_X_Check

Cross_X_Check Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 123 / -201
    So why would they put it there just as a "visual" thing? If there are no differences in the classes then why go through the trouble of making people be like "oh fuck which should I choose? BF, HYB or ST?" Why not just make one build if the 3 are the same already? Why not save goalies the headache of tying to figure out which "style" is the best? Like I said EA keeps making goalie worse every single year.

#MakeThePurpleArrowGuyGreatAgain

• Like Like x 1
    cross_x_check
  10. PitcheRxSwaGx

PitcheRxSwaGx Swisscheese, now traffic cone

Discord:
    pitcherxswagx#0
    Ratings:
    +855 / 162 / -77
    I got scored on from the blue line by a wrister my goalie never even moved

Santaklaus42
  11. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    I'm sorry but I know a ton of top goalies who are fine. So maybe you need to work on your playstyle. It sucks to hear that I'm sure but yeah.

People who are just like your self would bitch they took out 2/3 goalie classes. So that's why.

Goalie is better this year, I've just gathered you're bad. It makes sense but last year anyone could strap on the pads and be good. This year bad goalies are exposed and good goalies are rewarded (for th e most part)

• Like x 3
    • Dislike x 1
    • Troll x 1
    • Get Good x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    eashlgoalie
  12. NickyLeaks

NickyLeaks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 24 / -55
    There it is.

He offers legitimate gripes about the position and you tell him he's bad. Really now.

Fuck am I glad to have all the accolades I've had at the position, else my opinion wouldn't matter!

@Brisan66

• Funny Funny x 1
    No Streaming Account
  13. Fr33kOnTheStix

Fr33kOnTheStix borkborkbork

Ratings:
    +726 / 8 / -21
    Oi, for someone who's affiliated with EA you're a bit of a cunt aren't ya. There's plenty of people who shit better goalies than you are on a daily basis here on Xbox that feel the same way about the state of goalies. Maybe your "top goalies" aren't actually top.

PS4NHLCOMMUNITYIN2016 LUL
    @Nuge

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  14. NickyLeaks

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 24 / -55
    To parrot what my politically uninclined friend is saying.

I hear the PS4 CanAm Tourney brings out the PS4 legends like billybobjoe and xXxQuicksnipexXx.

No Streaming Account
  15. Nuge

Nuge SmithZz

Discord:
    nuge#0
    Ratings:
    +6,623 / 177 / -194
    BRING THE BETA BACK

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
  16. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    Me calling him bad was in response to him saying EA makes goalies worse. It's his opinion, but at some point you can look at good goalies who have made an adjustment this year already. From BOTH communities.

My response calling him bad was to his response saying they make goalies worse each year. His other points are fair.

I also played on Xbox this summer it's np you don't shoot.

Also Konz is 1A on both consoles and is fine.

You guys are overlooking the fact that I'm aware there are problems with the position, but to say it got worse is absurd. I asked Nuge about how his club goalies felt about the position and they were fine with it. It takes some adjustments which no one likes, but the mechanics also changed from the shit we had in 16.

• Troll Troll x 1
    eashlgoalie
  17. Fr33kOnTheStix

Ratings:
    +726 / 8 / -21
    I'M ON NUGES TEAM AND OUR GOALIES DONT THINK THE GAME IS FINE HEARLEY WAS LOSING HIS SHIT THE OTHER NIGHT AND TOAST DOESNT LOOK AT HIS TV TO KNOW

Also LOL @ Summer gameplay being indicative of the game xD

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  18. NickyLeaks

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 24 / -55
    @jonlol

Him saying EA makes goalie worse and worse every year was an exaggeration.

What he should have said was goalie in new gen is horrific compared to goalie in previous gen specifically because of movement alone. You can't move properly. That's it. You can't push out properly, you can't properly cut off the angle because you can't recover for a pass in time. You can't MOVE.

Even in NHL 09, where goalies were forced to hug the post, you could still move. People will get used to their movement restrictions and may even master the art of non-committal angles. That doesn't mean the position is good. Telling people they aren;t making the right adjustments is admitting the game isn't playing properly.

No Streaming Account
  19. jonlol

jonlol Pizza Bro

Ratings:
    +940 / 31 / -95
    WELL THEN TELL NUGE TO STOP LYING LOLOL.

He said they seem to like it but it was only after a few games, so obviously it's fair opinions can change. Don't get butthurt over here.

This turned from a theory on stances to the same shit i've heard over and over again about what needs to be fixed for goalies. I'm aware of it. You're dumb if you think I haven't passed on that info to the devs.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    eashlgoalie
  20. Fr33kOnTheStix

Ratings:
    +726 / 8 / -21
    EA AFFILIATE CALLS PEOPLE AUTISTIC ON A PUBLIC FORUM LOL
    @Nuge

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Troll Troll x 1
    No Streaming Account