QB Vision Control and Madden First Impressions

Discussion in 'LG Madden Online Franchise' started by EQUIFAX, Aug 9, 2005.

1. EQUIFAX

EQUIFAX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    QB Vision Control an

What are your thoughts about it?

No Streaming Account
  2. MGM

MGM Inactive

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    XBM did a review on this game for this month's issue...Gave it a 8.0.

They said that the "field of vision" is the only good addition to the game. They feel that EA took a "break" knowing they are the only NFL game on the block. They also said that people shouldn't go out of their way to pick this up and should wait for the "next generation" NFL game :shock:

I'm starting to rethink my participation in the NFL league this year. Since we are drafting teams in the NFL from here on out, I would have a pretty good shot at a decent team next time around.

I'm really looking forward to everyone's impression on this game. I was stunned at XBM's honesty. With 360 coming out and some other great titles on the horizon, I don't see myself wasting my money on a "not so new" Madden title....We shall see. The jury is still out on this matter.

No Streaming Account
  3. EQUIFAX

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    From what I have played so far, it is a good game. Not so many stellar changes from the last year, but it is still a good title. That vision control is definitely an interesting feature. If you master that and precision passing, it is going to be an interesting day for the competition.

No Streaming Account
  4. GrandmasterB

GrandmasterB GRAPHIC ASSASSIN

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    I think we've all had that preminition since EA bought out the NFL license that they would take a lax approach to designing this years title. I haven't played it yet, so I can't give an opinion, but from what I've read in OXM they didn't improve on last years game much at all. I'll give it a rental, but I doubt that I'll drop the funds for this title.

No Streaming Account
  5. canucks33

canucks33 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this is one of the major issues why gamers loose when MONOPOLY rules. (doesnt sound a good rhyme huh?)

why in a heck stop improving your product if there's no competition? i guess IF im going to buy this, ill just wait for the new generation or better yet wait till NFL 07.

No Streaming Account
  6. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    That was my biggest fear when I heard EA was buying the NFL licencse. I didn't think they would improve (they really have not improved since 2001). I pre-ordered this game and I should have it Wednesday or Thursday. I will post my reviews then. From what I have heard so far though the only change from 2005 is the QB vision stuff.

Gajeske85
  7. twizted_diablo

twizted_diablo A TRUE Baltimore Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was over @ ebgames.com and read nothing but trash talking about the game. Ppl saying its still the 05' version, presicion passing sucks, superstar mode sucks, the price was way too high and ppl did not get what they derserve.

Over 400 reviews already over at ebgames.com and the overall star rating is 3 out 5.

I have not picked this game up yet, but is it worth picking up? Am I gonna waste $50+ bucks?

No Streaming Account
  8. EQUIFAX

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This game has a frustrating learning curve! LOL! But I think it is cool. It is a good game to me with a lot of interesting quirks. The vision control is a sweet addition and gives the game a different flavor. There are some changes, small, but in some aspects significant. I would be curious to see how perceptions change once everyone plays.

No Streaming Account
  9. jujimum

jujimum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you're at all hesitant, I'd wait to read what the gamers here think. I hardly ever listen to any other forums because I don't trust 'strangers'. Many people on other sites will bash something just to go against popular views. No offense to ESPN guys, but I imagine they will bash the game as well since they aren't used to the controls and won't give it a chance before posting. Having said that though, if some ESPN guys give it a legitimate evaluation and don't like it, you can respect their opinion.

Many people seem to pick up a game, play one game and then base their whole viewpoint from that one game. I watched a review of Forza on the 'net and this guy bashed the game saying you can't steer. It was ridiculous and I wanted to punch this idiot. His co-host said you have to learn to play the game :laugh: What I'm saying is, he obviously put the game in, couldn't just pick up and play so he quit. The guys here seem to actually put in some playing time before basing their decision. Not all of us, but there are quite a few gamers here that I respect their views on things.

I'm not saying whether the game is good or not. I don't know as I can't afford it :( What I recommend is, wait until quite a few LGers get the game and you can get a good idea of what to expect from their reviews.

No Streaming Account
  10. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im liking the game so far but yeah the learning curve is tough, especially when im playing NCAA and ESPN at the same time. Ugh :(

Percision passing is cool, i dont see how you can say it sucks. Im still undecided on the QB vision thing. Im having a hard time changing receivers mid-play, just doesnt seem to be enough time.

Overall it seems smoother to me then last years game, models seem a little less "fuzzy".

My one biggest complaint is WHY WHY WHY THE FUCK did they switch the left/right triggers with the black/white buttons. FUCK FUCK I hate that, im so confused by it since its completely opposite of last years game and NCAA.

Truck stick rocks and its not nearly as bad as ESPNs lame shoulder charge all the way down the field crap.

Smart Routes - genius.

Kicking meter seems slowed down? Yea. Maybe its just me?

I like NCAA's juke controls way better. All the jukes on the right stick is nice. Madden has the back juke on the right stick and the left / right juke with the triggers. Stupid. Stiff Arm is black button? WTF ill never use that.

Hopefully those are just issues of getting used to new controls so oTher then that 2 thumbs and a big toe up.

No Streaming Account
  11. jujimum

jujimum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Drake, do you think that change has anything to do with the 360 version? Meaning, the black/white buttons will be shoulder buttons so maybe by making this change, it will be a smoother transition to the 360. Just a thought ;)

(I might misunderstand your post so if mine doesn't make sense, ignore me like everyone else does :p )

No Streaming Account
  12. Drake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes i believe you are probably correct. :(

I never understand why they cant make all these controls configurable. Silly.

No Streaming Account
  13. TommyNuGuns

TommyNuGuns Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    EGM gave it good reviews - 8.5,8.5, and 9 out of 10. Everything seemed positive from the review except they said that the precision passing made the passing game a little more complicated.

I wouldn't trust a site that already has over 400 reviews and averages out at 3 stars because I'm sure a ton of people are just inserting a single star or no stars just because they have something against EA.

No Streaming Account
  14. Drake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They moved the mute button to the left stick (push down) for this years version. I just finished playing King Kobra and i think we muted each other 45 times since that is the stick you move your players with :(

Bleh.

No Streaming Account
  15. Sylentman

Sylentman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It seems that it might get me to learn about Madden controls over again since I was used to ESPN. It is good thing that NCAA helps me to adjust controls. Is it similar to Madden? Since I read this thread, it seems that it is different. Sigh.

No Streaming Account
  16. Drake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    NCAA is similar to madden, at least alot more-so then ESPN is :)

But there are some differences which are annoying.

No Streaming Account
  17. Drake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks like there is an option to set the controls back to Madden 2005. Can someone check if this is changable online? *prays*

No Streaming Account
  18. Drake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nevermind, if you set them back to Madden 2005 controls you need to be a fucking contortionist to hold the black button down and then hit a receiver button.

So i have to bite the bullet and learn the new controls :(

No Streaming Account
  19. King Kobra

King Kobra Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You have to understand that many of these game sites/mags that are not hardcore players do not have any idea what they are talking about. These same people raved about how great of a feature that "Race for the Hiesman" was in NCAA. Thats the biggest piece of worthless non-working code I have ever seen touted as a big new feature. These guys seem more wrapped up in the rpg aspects game and how well the game plays for the casual gamer (the one that only plays on rookie level with their friends and wants to be able to score at will). Or those worried about how much they should charge for hot dogs in their stadium. That crap is not for me.

Heck the guy that wrote the review for IGN even metioned being blitzed by Ed Lewis??? From the Baltimore Ravens. Last I checked Ray Lewis and Ed Reed have not conceived a child. (The review has since been changed). So that tells you what kind of NFL fan he is so I pay no attention to those reviews what-so-ever.

I am not gonna read a football review from a guy that in his profile loves and also reviews RPG games. I know that isn't the guy for me.

This game is alot smoother than last years Madden. The precision/ vision control passing is not that big of a deal IMO. Yes its thougher but the new precision passing makes up for the difficulty of looking at your receiver. I played about 8 games online yesterday and in most of my games I have over 50% passing, and I use the right thumbstick method that most say is the hardest method to use. My last game I played with Drake last night I completed I think it was 17 completions on 20 attempts around 85% for about 230 yards or so and that was with Drew Bledsoe and the 73 rated Cowboys. Not your everyday Peyton Manning.

I think the teams people are going to want use more this year are the Cheifs, Colts, Patriots, Vikings, Raiders, and Steelers although Big Ben's cone is not that large. Bettis can be a beast with the truck stick.

Is this game harder than last year. Yes, slightly but mainly for me because of the change in control schemes, and the differences that changed between the 2005 version and the control scheme for NCAA 06. I wish EA would become consistant throughout their lineup.

I think the running game is nicely done, as outside runs are easier to pull off. The juke moves are toned down and they are less effective IMO. The Truck stick is a little too effective but I have noticed can cause an abundance of fumbles so use with caution.

This game is not for the casual gamer. It takes a more sim like approach to the game mechanics, and pre-snap adjustments. To me its great but for those looking for a more arcade easy to pick up and play game. You may want to look to "Blitz the League"

No Streaming Account
  20. EQUIFAX

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great assessment! Windless and played a couple of games last night on a couple of different levels and found All Madden to be the most "gamer-sim-competition worthy"

If I am not mistaken, College Football and Madden are designed by two different teams. I still don't understand why something as simple as the juke stick couldn't be implemented for Madden just like in College Football.

My head is spinning from ESPN, College Football, and Madden with the different controls! I think QB vision is extremely realistic and once you get it down, have mercy on your competition!

Any more thoughts on gameplay so far?

Any thoughts on the different levels(All Madden, Pro, etc.) from anyone?

No Streaming Account