What defines a "cheeser" in Top Spin?

Discussion in 'LG World Tour' started by sportdan30, Nov 10, 2003.

1. RE1GN

RE1GN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rk you would no what I'm talking about if you played someone that does it right. I really haven't practiced it because I don't have problems winning when I'm serving usually and it is kinda boring the way some do it. If see a guy named Roger Federer play him because he uses this serve none stop.

No Streaming Account
  2. MR PAPPAGI0RGIO

MR PAPPAGI0RGIO Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ya, I understand what your talking about, but your right in that I don't think I have played someone using EVERY serve.

No Streaming Account
  3. MR PAPPAGI0RGIO

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's funny The first game I played online just now, the guy used this cheese tactic. But he wasn't very good. If I hit a baseline return would knock it cross court and I wouldn't have a chance at it, So I just started returning cross court, and put him out of position enough to where he couln't hit a good shot back and then I got the winner everytime. He won the first game and was up 40 love in the second game and then I don't think I lost another point after that. :laugh:

No Streaming Account
  4. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use this serve alot to throw my opponent off balance (mixed with a health balance of smash serves to both corners). I usually send it to the front court and wide, and then rush the net hoping they'll not be able to send it back at an angle where I can pooch it over the net to the other side.

This serve, and any other technique available in the game is not going to be "banned" or looked at as cheeze in this league or these forums (just like the swoop was allowed here in NHL 2k3... if you could defend it, then it wasn't much of an issue). That said, please stop complaining about it and bringing discussions about this systemzglitch guy over from the XBox.com forums (leave that garbage over there please).

No Streaming Account
  5. RE1GN

RE1GN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First of all, I don't recall ever calling this a cheese serve. I really didn't do anything, but describe what the thing they were calling a cheese serve was. I don't think you'll find a single post coming from me on this in the xbox forums either. You are right it's just part of the game and I never said it should be banned, but I won't use it(if that's alright with you).

Second, I have enjoyed everything about this site from the people to how organized it is. I won't be told how I should look at something though, and I think that we should be able to discuss anything that isn't aimed at anyone. I don't mind stopping the "complaining", but I'd rather be asked in a polite way instead of being told to like a parent tells a child.

No Streaming Account
  6. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I wasn't directing my comments to you (I just quoted your post that described the serve that's being talked about)... it was directed to the others that are talking about people from other forums and bringing those same threads that we see on the Xbox.com Top Spin forum over here.

Anyway, I think I always try and be polite when asking for something (as I was in my previous post), so not sure where that is coming from, guess you took it the wrong way?

No Streaming Account
  7. JayFro

JayFro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    serving underhand is cheese.

No Streaming Account
  8. MR PAPPAGI0RGIO

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Serving underhand is EASILY BEATABLE.

No Streaming Account
  9. JayFro

JayFro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Still a play that doesn't work in real tennis and it should be easily beatable. Guys who resort to it though are cheese players.

No Streaming Account
  10. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My wife serves underhanded. So do my little nieces and nephews. :wink: Obviously, it's not a play used in professional tennis, but neither is the spoon serve. This game is far from a simulation of professional tennis, and it wasn't programmed to be. The spoon and low powered spin serves are part of "this" game, maybe not "real" tennis, but they are part of Top Spin.

No Streaming Account
  11. Tennis Playa

Tennis Playa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I played this guy that did that tap thing and then hits it into the open court...

HOW do I stop that from happening?! I tried slicing, topspin, lobbing....

Funny thing is, it was a guy I've talked to before, we had good games, and I asked him why he started doing this and he put me on mute. He was too cowardly to tell me that he wanted to win by any means....

I just wish I knew how to beat that... It came to a tiebreaker and he won...but darn him!

No Streaming Account
  12. MR PAPPAGI0RGIO

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you talking about the no power serve's all the way to the outside?

No Streaming Account
  13. Tennis Playa

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes, pappy, that is the one!

No Streaming Account
  14. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't really see the problem with people doing it, although it is not in my bag of tricks yet. I say this because the computer AI does it to me ALL the time, which to me, makes it a valid move that is not a cheese move.

15. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    I played a guy who did this to me, i was so pissed i was screwing pretty bad to him in the mic because this is probably the most absolutely cheezest move i've ever seen. I only found one way to at least get your self back in position, a risk shot right at the guy in the shots he'll just lob it back.

Last thing i want is to see all matches on LG turn into the lob serve then net battle, It would just kill any fun with this game.

16. Tennis Playa

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Right, Im not saying that what the guy did was BAD, but I just want to know how to counter those moves. People are going to do things like that, and I can't do anything about it, but I just want to know how to beat them at their own game is all...

But I have to say that it is not exactly the most sportman-like tactic to use.

All I am asking is HOW do you beat that person at that game... That is all I want to know! I didn't ask him to stop doing it.

No Streaming Account
  17. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    You really can't, you might get a point out of every 10 times, but if he does it right, there's nothing you can do as anything can be volleyed to the other side of the court if you try to hit a line.

18. Tennis Playa

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And I also played someone that drop-shotted my serve. And then it would hit the net and dribble over.

Being a tennis playa myself, I could practice lets all month long and still be unable to master it.

Some manuevers in this game I think might be gameplay exploits...but if it's in the game, there is most likely a way around it. What WE need to do is find those ways and turn the tables on them. I would not call then cheaters, but I might call them other things with the mic on mute!!!!

No Streaming Account
  19. Tennis Playa

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This was when I was playing as Martina Hingis. I think that maybe a player with heavy spins, or power might be able to hit through those shots...I have played people that do moves similiar to that with my homeade guy and he can hit through that junk, but I've only played that one guy that did that slow sin serve out wide.

I know that on the AD court, the same guy hit out wide to my backhand, and tried the same thing.... I found that I had some success if I moved my poisition off the court (to my left) and sliced the ball down the line then ran back into position.

On the guy that drop shotted my serve, I rish the net for it and sliced the ball back with all my might (hence numb thumbs) Quite a few times, he was unable to come up with a quality shot, and after putting pressure on him, he lost his timing a bit, sending some drop shots into the net....

No Streaming Account
  20. burlingtns best

burlingtns best Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you ask me, IT"S CHEESE.

No Streaming Account