2k5 impressions?

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming G-League (LGGL)' started by goalie, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Darthor

Darthor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Of the 2 games NCAA has always been easier to play than Madden IMO. I hope that's not the case this year. OUCH! :laugh:

No Streaming Account
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After 1 online game as the chiefs ( because I cant get the chiefs playbook to work on any other team) I would say the game has changed a lot. Yes there are big plays but I didnt give up ONE.

Defenders seem to be on top of you really fast. I only broke 4 tackles with my RB but I did break a untouched 60 yard run.

I may be eating these words soon. *shrug*

3. Rube Ranter

Rube Ranter Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I LOVE THIS GAME!!! HALLELUJAH!!!!!

No Streaming Account
  4. nosice

nosice Only Texans Fan @ LG

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well.. I tell ya... NCAA:ESPN::Shredded Wheat:Frosted Flakes with 40 pounds of Sugar...

For those that read ratio's that's What i think...

NCAA is laid back type game but boy when you put in ESPN.. everything happens so fast which.. after playing NCAA so much, i was shocked...

Ive played one game of ESPN and at first i was disappointed... I mean try to go on a hot summer day and jump in to 60 degree pool of water.. ITS COLD.. and your body takes a shock.. Well that's what my problem was..

Of course the buttons change and i always hate that.. But after a couple of minutes i got my swagger back..lol.. I wanted to test the Maximum Tackling.. I took Dominick davis and just mauled the guy.. I broke 5 tackles and took off for endzone.. Im thinking well nothing has changed..
    Well after that i never got loose again. On my defense i gave up on big play to george.. and he got that because i was blitzing him and he ran one right up the middle. He never would break more than 1 tackle on me... My guys would always wrap up .. So im really seeing that they fixed the tackles.. But that's not saying that tackles cant be broken...Skill will help..

As for the arguement that madden is better than ESPN... Why do we even argue..lol.. ESPN is great game and I cant see where anybody will be disappointed after playing a COUPLE of games.. But if your taste is with madden and your trying to convert.. Your first game will be like squeezing lemon in your mouth... Because the pace is so much different... That was the only thing i saw that really gripped me when i starting playing yesterday... If i went from ESPN 2k4 to ESPN 2k5.. i wouldnt have had a problem.. But because I didnt .. WHEEW.. i

That's my impression.. Im Stinks a'lotn San Anton now back to you...

No Streaming Account
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Exactly nosice,

After playing ncaa and jumping back to espn I can really see the other sides point but after a game I was used to the speed and it isnt really that fast once your mind adjusts.

6. Giotto

Giotto Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After only 3 games online and two against the computer. The run game has slowed down which is good. And in two of the games it was a Defensive battle. So far so good. It's going to take a bit more getting used to the run game, but with Tiki online I have not been able to get close to 100 yds, but neither was he last year. :roll:

The coolest thing with the game; I was able to run the offense in reaction to the D, and vice versa. Last year I had to stay in zone and always play against the run potnetial just to contain my opponent. So it was really nice to play more man to man and not be so one dimensional. But I think ill need more play time before start singing the ESPN praise. But definitely a good start.:D

Graphics look better, but for me the game play is what matters and it looks like they did that. The only question is to see how the changes play out and will it make for a more balanced game. That will take more game play so I better go play and stop gabbing.

PS on a side note I BEAT TED and held him to 1 TD.:twisted: I figure I should enjoy it while I can. :wink:

No Streaming Account
  7. nosice

nosice Only Texans Fan @ LG

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah.. that was something else i saw... last year i played one defense and then switched up to catch passing offenses sleeping.. But for the most part i used just onekind of defense more often.. Zone was it..lol...

But now i played a couple of man to man playes and the D held up... So your right about that giotto...

IM not convinced that i really LOVE this game but I like it so.. that's all that counts..

No Streaming Account
  8. goalie

goalie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the great reviews.

it's really cool to see you guys debate gameplay stuff that is actually useful for the type of games we actually play against each other.

when u read those stupid ign (or any site, i guess) reviews, they focus on stuff that is not SUPER-important to us.

i want to know about gameplay. breaking tackles, game speed, flaws that can be expoited, that kind of stuff.

thanks for the great commentary, guys - and keep it coming!

i always learn alot from the great players on this site!

No Streaming Account
  9. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok finally got it and played. After 5 games online only here are my thoughts:

Things i like:
    Running game is WAY WAY better. You guys that are saying its the same are nuts. Huge runs around the sideline are rare, i havent seen any yet in 5 games. Running backs are averaging much less yards per carry so far. Granted im using the Buccs who have a good defense but still. The defense is persuing much better and the defenders are tackling better. Last year DBs had little chance of stopping RBs 1 on 1, this year it happens all the time. Very nice. Oh and the RBs dont stick to their offensive lineman's butts like velcro anymore!!

Kickoff returns are way toned done which is great. If you recieve the ball 8 yards deep in your end zone you're not bringing it back past the 20 easily anymore. I think ive seen 2 kickoff return past the 35 so far. No more 2 and 3 kickoff return TDs per game. Field goals seem a little tougher from further out as well.

One nice feature i found my mistake...when you're calling plays on offense if you click in the right thumbstick it will show you stats over each play on how many times you called it that game and how many yards you got. Awesome idea.

The sideline reporter tells you the status of your injured guys so you dont have to go into the menu to check.

When your opponent is making changes to his depth chart you can see them happen instead of being blacked out.

You cant block extra points as easily. It probably can still be done but when the ball is snapped the guys at the end seem to take a step back first. Dunno.

Alstott and Garner in the backfield together=fun :)

Things i dont like:

Why did they change the stupid buttons for picking plays? Bleh. That will just take some getting used to but seems silly.

The online menus are fugly.

This game is a HUGE improvement over last years game in my opinion.

No Streaming Account
  10. Rube Ranter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Drake on almost all of his points, except I just need to get better at controlling my LBer and Dbacks. The game isnt a HUGE improvement, but I like it. I didn't like last years, but this is actually sorta fun.

No Streaming Account
  11. Drake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Huge is probably an overstatement on my part. But i liked last years game alot and they fixed the 'glitches' that annoyed me so im happy.

Maybe after a while some other problems will pop up but they seemed to have listened to their customers at least.

No Streaming Account
  12. Rube Ranter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree. I actually might be torn on choosing which league if it comes down to 2, I REALLY love the Vikings in this game, if they are open in the ESPN League, I may have a hard time deciding whether I want to try and get in the ESPN or Madden league.

No Streaming Account
  13. Darthor

Darthor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I still disagree. The problem may be that I was never one of the guys that ran to the outside a lot with 3 WR's or whatever. I almost always ran between the tackles or just to the outside of the tackles (I know that won't be the case too much with Antowain Smith :roll: ). It still works for me, especially running to the right side of my line. Oh well. Maybe someone can show me something different. It's a good game I guess I was just expecting more. Too bad I won't be able to really get into it until October or November. :cry:

No Streaming Account
  14. Drake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok ill try playing a few games running inside and see if that makes a difference.

No Streaming Account
  15. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Havent had anyone go over 100 yards on me yet I dont think (well maybe once but im not sure)... and I'm the colts. Running game is def. fixed.

No Streaming Account
  16. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Exact opposite for me, I haven't had a game where I haven't gone over 100 yards.

No Streaming Account
  17. The Original MP

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well maybe your just playing people who dont know how to play Def?

No Streaming Account
  18. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tell that to IndigoVDub then. I ran for like 176 yards against him. As for Skater, he was Cardinals, so I won't even go there lol.

No Streaming Account
  19. The Original MP

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh yah I ran a whole bunch on Indigo too but that was because I had him playing pass defense the whole game... not because the running game is jacked up.

No Streaming Account
  20. goalie

goalie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok, i was a BIG CRITIC of the ESPN NFL 2K4 game.

i thought the missed tackles (and broken tackles) made the game a complete joke.

i have now played one game offline (those always have to be taken with a grain of salt) - and now one game online.

my feelings:

THIS GAME IS AWESOME!

the AI defenders are actually decent! (im talking online here) they can actually make a tackle on their own, if you get blocked or miss the man.

the game seems to be properly balanced - finally!

the game is also much prettier this year than last. they did a much nicer job with the lighting.

but, most importantly, the gameplay improvements seem to be VERY VERY GOOD.

i am quite impressed.

for $50, this game rocks.

for $20, it should be illegal to not buy it.

No Streaming Account